Illegal Trade Threatening Tigers

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Kali

Illegal Trade Threatening Tigers

Post by Alpha Female » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:53 pm

The illegal trade in tiger parts has led to more than 1,000 wild tigers being killed over the past decade, a report suggests.

Traffic International, a wildlife trade monitoring network, found that skins, bones and claws were among the most common items seized by officials.

The trade continues unabated despite efforts to protect the cats, it warns.

Over the past century, tiger numbers have fallen from about 100,000 individuals to just an estimated 3,500.

The study, which used data from 11 of the 13 countries that are home to populations of Panthera tigris, estimated that between 1,069 and 1,220 tigers were killed to supply the illicit demand for tiger parts.

'Poaching pressures'

Since October 1987, tigers have been listed as an Appendix I species (threatened with extinction) under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (Cites), which means all commercial trade in the animals or their parts is banned.

The figure was based on analysis of 481 seizures. More than 275 of the seizures were in India, which - the report's authors said - represented between 469 and 533 tigers.

China, with 40, had the second highest number of seizures, accounting for up to 124 animals, while Nepal reported 39 seizures, or 113-130 tigers, they added.

"Given half the world's Tigers live in India, it's no real surprise the country has the highest number of seizures," explained co-author Pauline Verheij, joint TRAFFIC and WWF tiger trade programme manager.

"While a high number of seizures could indicate high levels of trade or effective enforcement work, or a combination of both, it does highlight the nation's tigers are facing severe poaching pressure," she added.

"With parts of potentially more than 100 wild tigers actually seized each year, one can only speculate what the true numbers of animals are being plundered."

Drugs, weapons, wildlife

The authors said the data showed that the trade continued "unabated despite considerable and repeated efforts to curtail it on the part of tiger range and consumer countries, intergovernmental organisations and NGOs".

Commenting on the findings, leader of WWF's Tigers Alive initiative Mike Baltzer said: "Clearly enforcement efforts to date are either ineffective or an insufficient deterrent.

"Not only must the risk of getting caught increase significantly, but seizures and arrests must also be followed up by swift prosecution and adequate sentencing, reflecting the seriousness of crimes against tigers," he added.

In March 2010, during the most recent high level meeting of Cites, nations agreed to increase intelligence sharing against criminal networks that smuggled big cat parts.

Speaking in 2009, World Bank chief Robert Zoellick said the global black market in wildlife products was worth about $10bn (£6bn) per year, making wildlife the third most valuable illicit commodity after drugs and weapons.

Conservationists also point to China's "tiger farms" as a threat to the wild animals because, they say, it perpetuates a market into which wild tiger parts can be sold, often commanding a higher value as products made from wild animals are perceived to be more "potent".

Although China does not officially permit the sale of goods from these farms, in practice several investigations have revealed tiger parts are being sold.

The report called for an improved understanding of the tiger trade and much tighter law enforcement.

"But good enforcement alone will not solve the problem," warned Steven Broad, executive director of Traffic.

"To save tigers in the wild, concerted action is needed to reduce the demand for tiger parts altogether in key countries in Asia."

Enforcement efforts to date, the authors concluded, "point to a lack of political will among those responsible at national and international levels".

They hoped the report would provide an "important baseline to inform the understanding of this persistent yet illegal trade".
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11718648

Just a little warning, the pictures on the site can be a bit disturbing to some viewers.

I find this quite sad to hear about. To hear of such a dramatic decline of wild tigers, from 100,000 individuals to just an estimated 3,500 is quite saddening. I do hope they can help the tiger species and stop the illegal trade of tiger parts.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Kivia

Re: Illegal Trade Threatening Tigers

Post by Kivia » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:05 pm

This is all so depressing; I just don't get why people partake in these activities. Oh well; hopefully they really start to crack down on this and are able to decrease the demand for tiger parts drastically, if not altogether.

Thanks for sharing, Alpha~

Ffeion
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Name: Ffeion, Red

Post by Ffeion » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:12 pm

This is very depressing indeed, and them picture, are horrible, Dx
I can't see how people could kill such a beautiful and magestic(sp?) creature like the tiger, :c

Thanks for sharing this with us Alpha, I have read about people poaching tigers and other big cats in a book I have, it is very sad :c
When there is nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.
Icon (C) Riceboy
BITE☆クラブ

Blizzard44
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Blizzard44 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:47 am

well one suggestion: IF THE HUMAN RACE WILL STOP BEING SO DARN GREEDY!!!!!!!!!!!
ughs its so messed up what people destroy! ok i get the population problem and everything, but ughs ok this is a story my friend told me:

date: 4/7/06
a mother tiger was birthing a healthy litter of cubs, ... she was out hunting when she came home to two hunters brutally killing the cubs who couldnt even see yet. they stoped the cubs to death. then they shot her with a tranquilizer and when she woke up she was in a cage at the zoo, they didnt feed her for days on end, and when they did the meat was rotten, it made her sick, when she was two weak to even get up they took her to a sport hunting place. they tied her to a tree and a "strong" hunter come out and shot her, they took pictures. and said the tiger was going to attack them, that it was a "man-eater" yes its been said that tigers do attack people, but after this... do you blame them? how many tigers have died with out someone telling their side of the story? ... people who do this are sick mined creatures that need to be tied to a tree and shot when they couldnt even stand up! yeah its soo fun shooting a helpless animal, -sarcasm- where is the sport in it? ... SAVE THE TIGERS!!!!!! do ANYTHING TO HELP THEM!!!! dont let another tiger die like this one did!
death haunts me, night mares taunt me, i have a broken heart that cant be healed, i have told a thousand lies that cant be sealed, moving to this dark place, its like im always spaced out...

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:32 am

Blizzard44 wrote:well one suggestion: IF THE HUMAN RACE WILL STOP BEING SO DARN GREEDY!!!!!!!!!!!
ughs its so messed up what people destroy! ok i get the population problem and everything, but ughs ok this is a story my friend told me:

a mother tiger was birthing a healthy litter of cubs, ... she was out hunting when she came home to two hunters brutally killing the cubs who couldnt even see yet. they stoped the cubs to death. then they shot her with a tranquilizer and when she woke up she was in a cage at the zoo, they didnt feed her for days on end, and when they did the meat was rotten, it made her sick, when she was two weak to even get up they took her to a sport hunting place. they tied her to a tree and a "strong" hunter come out and shot her, they took pictures. and said the tiger was going to attack them, that it was a "man-eater" yes its been said that tigers do attack people, but after this... do you blame them? how many tigers have died with out someone telling their side of the story? ... people who do this are sick mined creatures that need to be tied to a tree and shot when they couldnt even stand up! yeah its soo fun shooting a helpless animal, -sarcasm- where is the sport in it? ... SAVE THE TIGERS!!!!!! do ANYTHING TO HELP THEM!!!! dont let another tiger die like this one did!

Please keep your discussion on a non "humans are bad; save the animals" rants, alright? Thanks!
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Stone-Dust2
Pup
Pup

Post by Stone-Dust2 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:30 pm

I really feel bad for the poor animals. But its about.. I forget the word... were if you do somthing mean or nasty to someone, they say that later somthing happens to you. It may help the hunters in money and fame for these tigers, but they probably don't have any friends. Now that people are recalling about the endangered tigers, they will try to protect them more and maybe hunters will be discoraged.

EDIT* Hopefully we can save the tigers

Ayeska the Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Ayeska the Wolf » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:49 pm

D: I heard about that, and it really stinks... :'( I love tigers; I don't know what I'd do if they went extinct, I don't know how people could be so cruel...

Ayeska the Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Ayeska the Wolf » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Blizzard44 wrote:well one suggestion: IF THE HUMAN RACE WILL STOP BEING SO DARN GREEDY!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree 110% Blizzard. People are just greedy idiots who think that tigers have no feelings just because they're animals. I believe animals have emotions, and can feel pain. They're sick-minded creatures, as you said, who have no heart. SAVE THE TIGERS!

Silver1000
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Silver1000 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:31 am

Animals feel pain! Why cant these people live with that? How greedy, your not meant to kill tigers. Its wrong, people who do kill tigers are sick, black-hearted people. Poor tigers, They dont deserve to people treated like this, they are meant to be treated like real creatures, not creatures that we made to be killed!
99% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a tower about to jump, and the rest, 1% of teenages would sit there with popcorn and 3D glasses

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Hey guys^^

Koa already warned you guys about anti-human rants, so please do not continue down that path. If this continues, some negative consequences may unnecessarily happen.

So to avoid that, please stay on topic and steer clear of anti-human rants, alrighty? =3

Thanks~

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Whoa, that is terrible, hopefully the tiger's wil survive the trade. :(
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”