Silver's guide to tracking a trailing

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Post Reply
User avatar
Silver1000
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:19 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Warrior Cats Territory

Silver's guide to tracking a trailing

Post by Silver1000 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:06 am

If you have read my 'Tracking a wolf' Topic, this is not about tracking a wolf. Its about tracking any animal.

Footprints
you can identify a lot about a creature from footprints. Look at the prints it leaves. Does it stand on 2 legs, does it have 4 legs or only 1? Following footprints takes you to the animal which the footprints match to. Look for prints on the trees aswell, the animals might be kicking the trees

Signs of feeding
Look for dead animals, animals such as big cats and maybe large reptiles go after these. For herbivores, look at the ground, some animals need to dig deep for their food, for example, roots and seeds. Look at the trees aswell. Trees that grow fruit and nuts, do they have any fruit or nuts missing or are there fruit and nuts lying on the ground? Flying creatures dont leave footprints, but they need to come down to feed on land. Look for scraps of food

Disturbances
Look for disturbances such as broken trees and snap branches. Small animals might be hiding, for a large enraged creature might have passed through there

Scat
Look for scat. Look at what the scat contains. Herbivore scat normally contains seed, roots, fruit and nuts. Carnivore scat normally leave bones, undigested meat and clothes, maybe they attack a person if they contain close.

Moulting
Look for fur, scales or feathers. All animals moult, mainly in summer so they dont get to warm. Summer is the best time to look for moulting. Flying creatures lose feathers aswell


Silver's tips
Find any bird tracks, look at the prints, they are different from wolf, cat and fox prints. Anything with paws. Look for human prints aswell, a human leaves footprints, shoe prints. Carnivores sometimes target humans for prey. Sometimes, there prints not far from human prints showing that an animal has been tracking a human. It normally occurs with other animals, such as boar or wild elk. This only happens in the forest or an area a carnivore lives in

Silver's tips
A cattle ranch not far? See if there are any cattle missing, carnivores sometimes target cattle, as shown on wolf quest


Thanks for reading
99% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a tower about to jump, and the rest, 1% of teenages would sit there with popcorn and 3D glasses

User avatar
Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 7589
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:47 am
Gender: Female
Location: England, United Kingdom

Re: Silver's guide to tracking a trailing

Post by Masika » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:25 am

Hello Silver100,

Since this is about all animals, and not just canids, I'll move this over to the Wildlife section :)

-Thread Moved to Wildlife-
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

User avatar
Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 6112
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Name: Kali
Gender: Female
Location: Living the dream
Contact:

Re: Silver's guide to tracking a trailing

Post by Alpha Female » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:31 am

Really nice guide Silver! I'm sure it'll definitely help when trying to track animals.^^
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

Avatar (c) April
~WolfQuest member since 1969~

wolfluver86
Guest
Guest

Re: Silver's guide to tracking a trailing

Post by wolfluver86 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Nice guide, Silver! I didn't know that you could do that on other animals!

Ikyote
Guest
Guest

Re: Silver's guide to tracking a trailing

Post by Ikyote » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:43 pm

Oh that's quiet lovely. Thank you for the wonderful guide! If I ever decide to track some random animals out here, I'll be sure to reference off your guide.

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:45 pm
Gender: Female
Location: scrawling love into trees

Re: Silver's guide to tracking a trailing

Post by Thandi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:48 pm

Ohh nice guide, I'll have to use it some timw. :3
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

User avatar
X-Akami-X
Pup
Pup
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:36 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: Silver's guide to tracking a trailing

Post by X-Akami-X » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:45 am

Nice guide! Maybe I'll use it someday =)

ώølƒ сɾαʐÿ ṡïṉсε 1998
wolveѕ 4ever!
ι aм grαчdαwn131 on тнe warrιorѕ and ѕeeĸerѕ ғorυмѕ!

..............Avvie © Me

Post Reply

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”