Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years

Post by wolfman200789 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:15 am

Sethos wrote:
Canidae wrote:Ahh no, I hope they don't do this. At least not with mammoths.

Mammoths went extinct for a reason; man had nothing to do with it. If nature killed them, they need to just stay gone, because that's how things work here on good ol' Planet Earth. Just because we CAN resurrect something doesn't mean we SHOULD.

Now then, if they can use this technology to resurrect species that DID disappear because of humans...that would be pretty darn awesome.
Well, I know that one theory as to why mammoths went extinct is that they were hunted to extinction by humans. Back then, humans were thought to have hunted them for food, resources, and their own entertainment. Like all of the other theories, it has never been able to be proven, but this is a main reason why scientists are trying to resurrect these animals.
yes but ut we did not have the technoligy then to cause the death of mamoths we had bows and spears and that about it thats not enough to have a laarge animal go extinct but an animal like the tuna is doomed to go extinct froms massive nets engolfing mass schools of tuna and if this keeps up there willl be no tuna left in the oceans massive nets... or bows and spears... which seems more deadly??
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

Zarago
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Zarago » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:51 am

Canidae wrote:Ahh no, I hope they don't do this. At least not with mammoths.

Mammoths went extinct for a reason; man had nothing to do with it. If nature killed them, they need to just stay gone, because that's how things work here on good ol' Planet Earth. Just because we CAN resurrect something doesn't mean we SHOULD.

Now then, if they can use this technology to resurrect species that DID disappear because of humans...that would be pretty darn awesome.
Humans played a huge role in their extinction. Also, the Woolly Mammoth is very similar to the African Elephant. Yes, they are both capable of killing, but I'm sure that if they are able to bring the Woolly Mammoth back to life, tonnes of research would be done on the animal. I doubt it will be a real life "Jurrasic Park".

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:10 pm

Humans today are very different than the humans of the past; I worded that poorly. My underlying point was that the world is totally different than it used to be, and there's no place for mammoths here anymore.

If we can't even properly protect our Polar bears, why would they bring back mammoths? Just to keep them in captivity? Some life.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

Crocotto
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Crocotto » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:46 pm

Well, on one part you are a tad wrong, and on another you couldn't be more right

The habitat for mammoths does still exist in upper Siberia and Alaska. However, why should we be bringing back the mammoth when we got so many other problems.

We also have to remember. Like elephants, mammoths were social animals. And Proboscides need a herd or some sort of socialization. They can actually get sick and die from the stress of being lonely. We can't just bring back one or two, we'd need a whole herd. In my mind bringing back a social animal into a world it would be alone is inhumane and selfish.

To take a quote from Jurassic Park
You can't let yourself get so fed up that you could, that you forget to ask yourself if you should.
~Convenience is no excuse to hide truth~

Blight-Wolf for Moderator!
# Team Anti-Wolfaboo

Grin
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Grin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:08 pm

I agree that right now isn't the greatest time to bring back an extinct species. Also, due to the fact that they are herd animals like you mentioned, I'm sure that it would be possible to allow the mammoth to stay with other captive elephants in place of other mammoths. In order for a mammoth to be "resurrected", a female elephant would have to carry and give birth to it in the first place. I also believe that the first "mammoth" born will not be 100% woolly mammoth. Like I mentioned earlier, it will take a few generations to achieve an actual mammoth.

___┍ ɢ ʀ ɪ ɴ ┑___

▔▔┕ ʜ ᴏ ᴜ ɴ ᴅ ┙▔▔

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:30 pm

Also, I'm wondering what they plan on doing after they resurrect the first mammoth or two.

If they plan on bringing back the species, just bringing back a male and female mammoth ain't gonna cut it. You'd need lots and lots of mammoths to interbreed, otherwise the genetic diversity would become too low and the mammoths would ultimately suffer.

Do they just plan on bringing back a couple mammoths and cloning them over and over and over again, or is there some way to synthetically alter the mammoths' genes in a laboratory to ensure the genetic health of the species?

Zarago
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Zarago » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:55 am

I'm sure there would be some way to alter the genes in the labratory.

I think it would be wise to bring back a couple, and study them. Before going ahead and creating a whole herd and finding out that they are much stronger than we imagined.

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:40 pm

Zarago wrote:I'm sure there would be some way to alter the genes in the labratory.
But as far as I know, technology is not this advanced yet. Otherwise, we'd see it being done on humans to get rid of genetic disorders and whatnot.

Zarago
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Zarago » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:40 am

I doubt they would want to test it on humans.

They might be able to tweak genetics by the time they have found out a way of bringing the Woolly Mammoth back successfully.

eyheralde
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Nowhere at all...Nowhwere at all...Nowhere- Never mind, now I'm right behind you

Post by eyheralde » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:19 pm

That's interesting. It is a fairly good idea, but still... Would one of the large killer cats be next? That could do more damage than a mammoth, they eat meat and are from the past, so...
It could help, though. What if the gorilla goes extinct? Or cheetahs? We could bring back warrahs and Tasmanian tigers. We killed them only recently and there are specimens preserved of the latter at least(Not sure about the former) and their habitat still exists.
This could be a useful technology. But, still... A large, dangerous creature?
You will never know if you don't ask.- Me

People will copy you. Then you do something else. The key is the doing something else.-Leonardo DaVinci
No, DaVinci. The key is the going on WQ!-Me

Zarago
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Zarago » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm

eyheralde wrote:That's interesting. It is a fairly good idea, but still... Would one of the large killer cats be next? That could do more damage than a mammoth, they eat meat and are from the past, so...
It could help, though. What if the gorilla goes extinct? Or cheetahs? We could bring back warrahs and Tasmanian tigers. We killed them only recently and there are specimens preserved of the latter at least(Not sure about the former) and their habitat still exists.
This could be a useful technology. But, still... A large, dangerous creature?
Elephants are large and dangerous too. Also, it is a herbivore, so probably is not a terribly aggressive creature.

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Atropine » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:14 pm

It's very interesting and it really would be a phenomenal advance if they managed to breed a mammoth, however of course there are the problems that Canidae has brought up - it would be quite unfair for a creature meant to live in groups to be solitary.

lightshadowwolf223
Pup
Pup

Post by lightshadowwolf223 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:50 am

Not to rain on your parade but the first time this was attempted it failed. In i think 2006 a Russian scientist try'ed this but the resulting baby died soon after birth. :(
Hunting is not destruction and i get annoyed by people all ways going like: OOO your killing the animals!
I just say: No. its population managment, and could someone who hates animals know so much about them?

Legendary-Taco
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Legendary-Taco » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:17 am

How interesting ^^ It's nice to know that they plan to bring the mammoth back (Not saying they will), though I do believe they should keep the animal in captivity, for it could alter the food chain and such, but just my opinion ^^
Anyways, thanks for posting,
Hidden Phoenix :)
___________╔══════════╗

_________im pretty meme savvy...
______ Ask me anything chump xox
________(avatar by me boyo xox~)

___________╚══════════╝

Toralu
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Toralu » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:25 am

Quite interesting C; I don't know if it's possible, if it is I just hope they don't bring back Dinosaurs O.o imagine having one standing outside your window...
...........T ● O ● R ● A ● L ● U
........“We are the music makers,
........and we are the dreamers of
.....................dreams”

.......................-Willy Wonka
..............Avvie (c) C-Lupus Sigge (c) Me

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”