Uncommon Animal Facts

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Sweetpea RAWR
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Uncommon Animal Facts

Post by Sweetpea RAWR » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:36 pm

The finger monkey is the smallest primate in the world.

Elephants never forget anything.

If there are too many gerbils in one cage, they will eat each other for space.
................... ᴘᴏɪsᴏɴ ɪᴠʏ
......=====================
....ᴍᴀᴍᴍᴀʟs, ᴀ ᴅᴀʏ ᴏғ ʀᴇᴄᴋᴏɴɪɴɢ ɪs ᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ.
..ᴛʜᴀᴛs ʀɪɢʜᴛ, ᴛʜᴇ sᴀᴍᴇ ᴘʟᴀɴᴛs ᴀɴᴅ ғʟᴏᴡᴇʀs
...ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴀᴡ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄʀᴀᴡʟ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʀɪᴍᴏʀᴅɪᴀʟ
....sᴏᴜᴘ ᴡɪʟʟ ʀᴇᴄʟᴀɪᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʟᴀɴᴇᴛ. ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ
...'......ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴘʀᴏᴛᴇᴄᴛ ʏᴏᴜ.
.............'..'..sɪɢ ᴜɴʟᴜᴄᴋʏ ¹³

FalconBird
Pup
Pup

Post by FalconBird » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:26 pm

did you know that cats have 3 eyelids? when figured it out I went like "gegth!" ;(>
My deviantart account name: lilyspring
My fave songs: Dragon Trance flying high and Dragon Trance Jump to this sound
My Feral-Heart username: silverfang30141

My quote: Well hi there, tell me when you're ready to die...

Sweetpea RAWR
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Sweetpea RAWR » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:44 pm

Sharks can't swim backwards, although I can't figure out why. They also can't stop swimming, they always have to be moving instead of sitting in a free float.

wolfyattitude
Yearling
Yearling

Post by wolfyattitude » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:09 pm

No, they arent, they are the same as humans.
╔═══════╗
████████
ÐEatнηΘ†E║
████████
████████
████████
████████
╚═══════╝

Avvie(c)Lupinzpack

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:32 pm

little has change in crocodiles and other crocidilians since the age of the dinosours the only deferences are there size and... thats pretty much it there size the crocodile then were bigger than a house and were still reptiles and still lived in both land and water and also ate meat litle has changed about them

in the age of the dinosours you could find 3 foot long dragonflies this is due to the higher oxygen levels back then compared to now with higher oxygen levels earth was able to support much larger creatures and plants which might be why the dinosours were able to get so big
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

peterbell
Pup
Pup

Post by peterbell » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:58 am

hey did i send one in if did tell me please because i know a lot about animals so you just need to ask me for any animal fact but you need to say the animal.

if i have not sended any here is some wolf pups facts

Wolf pups

10 - 13 days the pups eyes open.
3 weeks the pups milk teeth appear and they start to explore the den.
4 - 5 weeks the pups have short trips outside the den, begin to eat meat
6 weeks the pups moving up to mile from den (with the adult wolves)
6 - 8 weeks the pups are weaned, traveling to rendezvous site.
12 weeks the pups begin to travel with the pack on hunts (with adult wolves)
15 - 28 weeks the pups milk teeth are replaced
7 - 8 months the pups begin to hunt with the pack

Most wolf pups are born with blue eyes, which gradually change to a yellow-gold color by eight to sixteen weeks, though sometimes their eyes can change color much later. Occasionally, a mature wolf will be found with blue eyes. Also they can be green over a years time.

Wolfs

Wolves predominately prey on hoofed animals including Deer, moose, Bison, Elk, and caribou. Because wolves usually hunt for large animals, (although wolves are opportunistic and will eat smaller prey) they work together to catch their prey. Wolves will eat a healthy, strong animal if they can catch it. (Wolves need an average of three to ten pounds of meat each day). They howl to each to tell where to go when hunting. They also eat fruit, like wild berries.

Wolves belong to family groups called packs, they usually consist of eight to fifteen-members. The rare exception is what is popularly know as a "lone wolf", this wolf would most likely be the lowest member of a pack (the omega) that was driven out of the pack, if it is lucky, the "lone wolf" may find a mate and start a new pack. There is one male in the pack rarely. But there is more comon to have two males. :D :D

Leopards

Despite being predators, most leopards avoid humans. Still, people are occasionally targeted as prey.

Most healthy leopards prefer wild prey to humans, but injured, sickly or struggling cats with a shortage of regular prey often turn to hunting people and may become habituated to it. In two extreme cases, both in India, one leopard may have killed over 125 people, and the second leopard more than 400, after injury by a poacher made it unable to hunt normal prey.

Man-eating leopards are considered bold by feline standards and commonly enter human settlements for prey, more so than lions and tigers.

The great white shark

The Great White Shark is the largest meat-eating shark, sometimes reaching over 20 ft in length, and is one of the top predators in the ocean. Although attacks on humans are rare, the great white is responsible for more human deaths than any other shark species.

But don’t panic - while great white sharks have been responsible for fatalities in humans, they typically do not target humans as prey. Many incidents seem to be caused by the animals "test-biting" out of curiosity. Also these teeth can cute threw anything in its path.

The most deadlest insect in the world is the jack jumper ant

Lions

Lion
fact.
Swahili Name: Simba
Scientific Name: Panthera leo
Size: 48 inches high
Weight: 330 to 500 pounds
Lifespan: 13 years in captivity
Habitat: Grassy plans and open woodlands
Diet: Carnivorous
Gestation: About 105 days
Predators: Humans

Did you know this?

Most lions drink water daily if available, but can go four or five days without it. Lions in arid areas seem to obtain needed moisture from the stomach contents of their prey.
When males take over a pride, they usually kill the cubs. The females come into estrus and the new males sire other cubs.

ferret

Male ferrets are called hobs, while females are called jills. Their children are called kits for the first 7 weeks, by which time they look like adults. All gender names change if they are neutered, the males are then gibs, and the females sprites.
The collective noun for a group ferrets is a 'business'. Other name for families of ferrets are: cast, or possibly, fesnying.
Ferrets make for an interesting and unusual pet. Owners love them because they are inquisitive while awake, else they just sleep. They are also relatively easy to house train, and can interact ok with other pets such as cats or dogs.
Hearing is their most strongly developed sense, presumably linked to their ability to survive underground in nature.
Ferret racing is making a come-back in England, it's a popular way of raising money at fetes and craft shows.

hedgehogs

flower think about the name hedge-hog, it tells you a great deal about this animal. Hog - snout like a pig: hedge - where it roots about for slugs and snails.
Hedgehogs are found in Europe, Asia and Africa. In some parts of the USA people have introduced the African Pygmy hedgehog, but it's not native to American, and hedgehogs are banned in California.
For hedgehogs, smell is their primary sense, however hearing also pays a large part in its senses. Hedgehogs hibernate for one simple reason: to survive the winter, for the rest of the year they are solitary and nocturnal, hence their eyesight is not highly developed.
The male hedgehog is called the boar and the female the sow, their their offspring are hoglets. Incidentally, the sows are grateful that the hoglets are born without spines. Incidentally, the collective noun for hedgehogs is an array.
The hedgehog is an insectivore and eats lots of beetles and caterpillars; they particularly like, earthworms and slugs. Hedgehogs have a varied diet and will also eat small mammals, snails, millipedes, earwigs and even bees.
In Will and Guy's view, Mrs Tiggywinkle is the most famous of all hedgehogs. Mrs Tiggwinkle appears in Beatrix Potter's books where she is usually ironing, or starching shirts. (See hedgehog picture to the right). By comparison Sonic the Hedgehog is a young interloper.
Sadly, hedgehogs are becoming rare, even endangered. The problem is fewer good old scruffy gardens. These days it's either manicured lawn or patio. Other enemies of the hedgehogs include cars, lawnmowers, strimmers, plus the occasional fox or badger.

Ants

Like all insects, ants have six legs. Each leg has three joints. The legs of the ant are very strong so they can run very quickly. If a man could run as fast for his size as an ant can, he could run as fast as a racehorse. Ants can lift 20 times their own body weight. An ant brain has about 250 000 brain cells. A human brain has 10,000 million so a colony of 40,000 ants has collectively the same size brain as a human.
The average life expectancy of an ant is 45-60 days. Ants use their antenae not only for touch, but also for their sense of smell. The head of the ant has a pair of large, strong jaws. The jaws open and shut sideways like a pair of scissors. Adult ants cannot chew and swallow solid food. Instead they swallow the juice which they squeeze from pieces of food. They throw away the dry part that is left over. The ant has two eyes, each eye is made of many smaller eyes.
They are called compound eyes. The abdomen of the ant contains two stomachs. One stomach holds the food for itself and second stomach is for food to be shared with other ants. Like all insects, the outside of their body is covered with a hard armour this is called the exoskeleton. Ants have four distinct growing stages, the egg, larva, pupa and the adult. Biologists classify ants as a special group of wasps. (Hymenoptera Formicidae) There are over 10000 known species of ants. Each ant colony has at least one or more queens.
The job of the queen is to lay eggs which the worker ants look after. Worker ants are sterile, they look for food, look after the young, and defend the nest from unwanted visitors. Ants are clean and tidy insects. Some worker ants are given the job of taking the rubbish from the nest and putting it outside in a special rubbish dump! Each colony of ants has its own smell. In this way, intruders can be recognized immediately. Many ants such as the common Red species have a sting which they use to defend their nest.
The common Black Ants and Wood Ants have no sting, but they can squirt a spray of formic acid. Some birds put ants in their feathers because the ants squirt formic acid which gets rid of the parasites. The Slave-Maker Ant (Polyergus Rufescens) raids the nests of other ants and steals their pupae. When these new ants hatch,they work as slaves within the colony. The worker ants keep the eggs and larvae in different groups according to ages.
At night the worker ants move the eggs and larvae deep into the nest to protect them from the cold. During the daytime, the worker ants move the eggs and larvae of the colony to the top of the nest so that they can be warmer. If a worker ant has found a good source for food, it leaves a trail of scent so that the other ants in the colony can find the food. Army Ants are nomadic and they are always moving. They carry their larvae and their eggs with them in a long column
The Army Ant (Ecitron Burchelli) of South America, can have as many as 700,000 members in its colony. The Leaf Cutter Ants are farmers. They cut out pieces of leaves which they take back to their nests. They chew them into a pulp and a special fungus grows it. Ants cannot digest leaves because they cannot digest cellulose. Many people think ants are a pest but I like them. To stop them coming into my kitchen I put some sugar outside. They they have so much to eat that they are not interested in coming into a kitchen.

Facts about animals

We think the most powerfulest bug in the world is a dung beetle.

I think the most powerfulest animal is Orca's or Killer whales.

The jack jumper ant is the most powerfulest ant in the world.

The draft horse is the most strongest horse in the world and the 2nd most strongest animal in the world.

The most biggest horse in the world is a radar.

The most smallest horse in the is thumblina, She is a mini.

The most dangerous animals is the Asian Cobra. The weakest animal is bacteria, i think.

We think the most smallest dog is a yappy short-coat Chihuahua from Charlton (Massachusetts, USA)

The smallest animal with a backbone is a species of fish.

The smallest amphibians are the Monte Iberia Eleuth and the Brazilian Gold Frog.

The smallest reptile is the Jaragua Sphaero.

The smallest bird is Bee Hummingbird.

The smallest mammal is Kitti's Hog-nosed Bat.
Last edited by peterbell on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:09 am, edited 8 times in total.
I lOvE WoLvEs

PeTeRbElL

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:14 am

peterbell, just a a future reference, please ensure that you use the edit feature to add things on, rather than double posting. Cheers!
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

jumpjump456

Post by jumpjump456 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:35 am

When first born, a Giant panda cub is the size of an average mouse.

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:09 pm

right whales a foumos and are easily identified by these rocky lumps called colostites (cant remember wht the name was i believe that what it is) but calves are not born with these and the lumps are not even an actual body part there tightly packed mix of skin and parasites the color of the parasites is the color of the colostites so if it was orange you would have orange parasintes all over it these things are comenly found above the eye and around the head
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:34 pm

Sweetpea RAWR wrote: Ostriches eat pebbles to help digestion by grinding up the ingested food. Can you imagine eating pebbles?

Some vultures (or all, not quite sure) poop on their legs to cool themselves off. Nasty!!

Actually, all birds will eat pebbles to help digestion. Chickens, budgies, toucans, ducks, finches, you name it. The pebbles and grit go down to the gizzard, where food is mashed up, and the pieces of grit grind against the food to help before digestion.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

April

Post by April » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:43 am

There's a frog about 10% the size of a penny, known as the smallest frog ever found in Asia. Its called the Pea frog, because its the size of a pea. Its adorable, it was discovered in the last few years as a new species.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Sweetpea RAWR
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Sweetpea RAWR » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:49 pm

Guinea pigs can live 12 years in captivity, but usually only 3 in the wild. And they're from South America.

A baby octopus is the size of a flea at birth.

It is possible to lead a cow upstairs but not downstairs.

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:26 pm

Long before the dinosours when life just took hold on planet earth. The surface of earth looked like mars. There were no trees,no plants,no animals,no nothing but under water life flurished. one of the animals on the base of the food chain then was a fish called astasphis,small enough to fit in your hand. its was also the fist animal in the entire earths history to have a backbone. At the top of the food chain was the straight notolaid. It was very squid like but with a straight shell filled with air to keep it afloat. It swam backwards.Instead of a constant swiming motion it swam bit by bit also similer to todays squid. Unlike squid it was pure cornivore! If you got in the water with this thing and it saw you It would chase you and it would try to eat you as soon as it cought up. It can grow to 20 feet long. Right next to this thing on the food chain is the euriptered or sea scropian. If you think modern scorpians are ugly just wait until you see one of these! there legschilesery called are more like the legs of a modern waterbug. With the front legs covered with bristely spines. The back legs are flattened for swiming. Sea scropians and the straight notoloids commenly battle for terrritory and food.

whatch this video I found to know what im talking about.

another video i found on astrasphis

You will be thankfull that they all died. Due to energy from an explodeing star hitting the earth causing them to die out overtime
Last edited by wolfman200789 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April

Post by April » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:38 pm

The crystal frog is a relatively newly discovered species found in Peru. What gives it its name is that its skin is so transparent that you can see the organs inside

And wolfman, the "facts" you posted is actually a theory...its not necessarily true. The part of it being the "first animal to ever live on the earth" is a belief/religion, NOT a fact.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:57 pm

A bird's feathers weigh more than its skeleton does.

The Whip-poor-will lays its eggs in phase with the lunar cycle, so that the eggs hatch on average 10 days before a full moon. When the moon is near full the adults can forage the entire night, and so best provide the nestlings with insects.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”