Serengeti Highway

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Serengeti Highway

Post by Alpha Female » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:28 pm

I was kind of shocked to hear about how the government wants to build a highway across the Seregneti. I'm hoping they decide not to, but at this point it seems like they will, regardless of other options.
Latest reports point to Indian industrial interests funding destructive development
Despite the German government offering to fund a study into an alternative route for the Serengeti Highway, the Tanzanian Government seems to be pressing ahead with its plans, as well as fast tracking the development of the soda ash plant at Lake Natron, the only breeding site for Greater flamingo in East Africa.

In 2 East Africa suggests that the Serengeti Highway is being funded by industrial cash rather than the need to connect some people to Tanzania's road system. They speculate that "This confirms a long harboured and long suggested suspicion that the construction of the equally controversial highway through the Serengeti is primarily motivated and driven by industrial and mining considerations, and not as conveniently floated ‘in the interest of the people', unless the financial interest of and financial considerations for a ‘few people' can meet that standard."

Germany offers to fund alternative study
Germany's Federal Minister for Development Dirk Niebel announced that Germany would be willing to finance a study on alternative ways of connecting areas bordering the Serengeti in the north to the existing road network without crossing the Serengeti. Tanzania's President Kikwete called this connection of rural areas as one of the main reasons why the controversial highway is needed. In addition, Niebel reaffirmed willingness to jointly finance an international feasibility study for an alternative southern bypass for the national park. Since this alternative routing would not only be cheaper but also connect many more Tanzanians to a good road network.

Alternatives ignored in assessment
So far, Tanzania has not been responsive to the requests of the donor community as well as of environmental protection organizations to consider alternatives to the envisaged route in the north. "The draft of the environmental impact assessment, which is now available, is completely inadequate," said Frankfurt Zoological Society Executive Director Christof Schenck. The authors come to the conclusion that the northern route would be the best, without having ever considered alternatives. In addition, the study had in no way thought through the environmental, economic as well as social consequences of that route.

Self contradictory
"The study also contradicts itself," said Schenck, "one comes to the conclusion that the road would boost tourism and at the same time, which tourism would be the road's big loser." Tourism will, however, play an increasingly important role for Africa's development and the value of pristine natural areas will increase more in the future.

Since Tanzania in May of 2010 announced wanting to build a road for freight and long-distance traffic through the Serengeti National Park, the Tanzanian government experienced a storm of protest against the project. It seems undeterred and convinced, however, that the road will have no negative impact on the national park and its wildlife.

Lake Natron
Tanzania's President Kikwete has said that this plant must go ahead. The plant, to be built and run by the huge Indian industrial firm Tata, will extract 500,000 tonnes of soda ash every year. The works will include a series of pipes across the lake and considerable infrastructure on the shoreline, but the Tanzanian Government does not believe this will impact on flamingo breeding.
Source: http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/se ... atron.html
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Serengeti Highway

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:59 pm

I think that would really disturb the wildlife there. Cheetahs are becoming rarer and rarer, and they need open space to chase their prey long distances. I'm hoping they don't build this.
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

DMJ99

Post by DMJ99 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Leopards also live in the Serengeti as well, and I believe they are even more endangered than cheetahs. Though I think the Serengeti holds the second largest population of cheetahs. So it may critically effect their population. Not only do highways invade animal habitat, but more deaths may occur if an animal trys to... you know book it across and end up getting hit by cars. Especially since it's a highway.

Croix
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Croix » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:28 pm

I hope they don't build this.
It'd break my heart to see animals getting hit by cars, especially already threatened and endangered animals~

lightshadowwolf223
Pup
Pup

Post by lightshadowwolf223 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:30 am

Don't forget about the Connochaetes taurinus or wildebeest! They migrate across the plains every year and the predators there need them to avoid staving so if the road is built then the wildebeest may have trouble getting across the area which in turn will cause some of the predators the starve while they have less food. So if they build this road it will affect the wildebeest which will affect every predator in the area. :shock:
Hunting is not destruction and i get annoyed by people all ways going like: OOO your killing the animals!
I just say: No. its population managment, and could someone who hates animals know so much about them?

Koroda
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Koroda » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:52 pm

What do they think they're doing? I wish I could stop them! Why kill a bunch of innocent animals just so people can get places? Every being is equal, humans, in my opinion, are just the same as everything else. Werent humans created in myths to care for the earth? I see pollution... everywhere! On the streets, water, air, the Serengeti... This highway is going to ruin animals' lives.
I am Koroda,
A coelacanth fish.
While you humans die,
I'll still be here....

HappygirlXD
Yearling
Yearling

Post by HappygirlXD » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:14 pm

KK please don't flame me for this:

In my opinion its not a horrible thing. I don't think they should but I also don't think it's that devastating. I don't thing a bunch of animals are going to die because of this. Now, I'm not trying to be snappish or rude, just saying. Maybe I'm being wrong and unfair and perhaps ignorant...

I'm going to be screamed at for my opinion probably.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:13 pm

HappygirlXD wrote:KK please don't flame me for this:

In my opinion its not a horrible thing. I don't think they should but I also don't think it's that devastating. I dont thing a bunch of animals are going to die because of this. Now, I'm not trying to be snappish or rude, just saying. Maybe I'm being wrong and unfair and perhaps ignorant...

I'm going to be screamed at for my opinion probably.
Everyone has different opinions HappyGirl.
As I can see this in two perspectives.
One ~ highways are being built everywhere and disrupting animals habitat. Why should this one be any more of a concern? Animals by other highways dont just have their populations suddenly plummet...
But if you look at it the other way ~ some habitats have more diversity than others. Maybe more endangered species in the area. This is where I see this side.. the highway could be good for human society but bad for the natural ecosystem around it unless it is carefully set into place. If this is a go. I just pray that they take the nature around them into account and maybe build animal crossings to make it fair on both sides.
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

HappygirlXD
Yearling
Yearling

Post by HappygirlXD » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:04 pm

I live by highway, and you don't see deer, opossums, etc. dead. This is where I'm coming from. There are highways everywhere; you don't see animals going extinct by cars. Most of the animals around this area are pretty big, correct? Only a stupid person wouldn't stop and let them pass...unless there was a lot of traffic around...

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:28 pm

You must remember this is a national park that gets tons of money yearly from visitors coming to have a "truly African experience". ^^ If you were a guest there paying to see what Africa is like without buildings, cities, etc. and want to see just the wildlife, would a road filled with cars really be something you'd like to see in the middle of a park? As well, once the migration starts cars most likely won't be able to get passed due to all the animals crossing, so chances are there may be some fatalities.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

HappygirlXD
Yearling
Yearling

Post by HappygirlXD » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:54 pm

I've never been to a National Park. :p But I guess not. Cars really don't bother me all that much though...

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:22 am

Alpha Female wrote:You must remember this is a national park that gets tons of money yearly from visitors coming to have a "truly African experience". ^^ If you were a guest there paying to see what Africa is like without buildings, cities, etc. and want to see just the wildlife, would a road filled with cars really be something you'd like to see in the middle of a park? As well, once the migration starts cars most likely won't be able to get passed due to all the animals crossing, so chances are there may be some fatalities.
This is where I can see your side as well Alpha F. I agree with the fact that when visiting a national park people aren't there to see more people and more human society but they are there's to see nature... a large road cutting down the middle of it somewhat takes away all that's special about Africa..
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Silverfang88
Pup
Pup

Post by Silverfang88 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:02 pm

The government never thinks of anything but it's self.
No longer active Might check in every few months