Mike The Headless Chicken

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Oceansong-Direwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Mike The Headless Chicken

Post by Oceansong-Direwolf » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:32 am

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_mike
On September 10, 1945, farmer Lloyd Olsen of Fruita, Colorado, United States, had his mother-in-law around for supper and was sent out to the yard by his wife to bring back a chicken. Olsen chose a five-and-a-half-month-old cockerel named Mike. The axe missed the jugular vein, leaving one ear and most of the brain stem intact.[2][3]

Despite Olsen's botched handiwork, Mike was still able to balance on a perch and walk clumsily; he even attempted to preen and crow, although he could do neither. After the bird did not die, a surprised Mr. Olsen decided to continue to care permanently for Mike, feeding him a mixture of milk and water via an eyedropper; he was also fed small grains of corn.

When used to his new and unusual center of mass, Mike could easily get himself to the highest perches without falling. His crowing, though, was less impressive and consisted of a gurgling sound made in his throat, leaving him unable to crow at dawn. Mike also spent his time preening and attempting to peck for food with his neck.[2]

Once his fame had been established, Mike began a career of touring sideshows in the company of such other creatures as a two-headed calf. He was also photographed for dozens of magazines and papers, featuring in Time and Life magazines.[2]

Mike was on display to the public for an admission cost of 25 cents. At the height of his popularity, the chicken earned US$4,500 per month ($48,000 in 2010 dollars) and was valued at $10,000.[2] Olsen's success resulted in a wave of copycat chicken beheading, but no other chicken lived for more than a day or two.[citation needed]

In March 1947, at a motel in Phoenix on a stopover while travelling back home from tour, Mike started choking in the middle of the night. As the Olsens had inadvertently left their feeding and cleaning syringes at the sideshow the day before, they were unable to save Mike. Lloyd Olsen claimed that he had sold the bird off, resulting in stories of Mike still touring the country as late as 1949. Other sources say that the chicken's severed trachea could not take in enough air properly to be able to breathe; and therefore choked to death in the motel.
One raindrop among millions.

lightshadowwolf223
Pup
Pup

Re: Mike The Headless Chicken

Post by lightshadowwolf223 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:32 am

Wow that would kind of scare me. :shock:
Hunting is not destruction and i get annoyed by people all ways going like: OOO your killing the animals!
I just say: No. its population managment, and could someone who hates animals know so much about them?

Swifty
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Name: Wildtale

Post by Swifty » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:26 am

I remember hearing about this bird in the PBS video The Natural History of the Chicken. Incredible that it even happened!
Author of ~My Voice~ and ∞Distant Calling∞
Link: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=40094

You can now find me here: www.wildtale.deviantart.com

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:24 pm

Swifty wrote:I remember hearing about this bird in the PBS video The Natural History of the Chicken. Incredible that it even happened!
I love that video so much.

And I've heard of Mike! Poor thing choked of mucus in the end...

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

Tita
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Tita » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:41 pm

I've heard of this. The poor thing; I feel bad for Mike.
Go away, evil Mr. Scissors!

Dark Hawk
Pup
Pup

Post by Dark Hawk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:04 pm

This was interesting, but I hate what they did to that poor chicken, they should have just killed it rather then make it live the rest of its life with no head. Thats only my opinion though.
I wont lie
I won't sin
Maybe I don't wanna go...

failwolf56
Yearling
Yearling

Post by failwolf56 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:27 pm

Oh, I've heard of this before. Such an interesting story, lol, weird to think about something living without one of the most important limbs. Thanks for the share Oceansong!
Nov. 2011 UotM

Koroda
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Koroda » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:12 pm

This is very interesting... I've read this story in The Guineas Book of World Records and I was fascinated with it all. I wish I had a headless chicken, only if it was born headless. Its a pretty cool thing to survive.
I am Koroda,
A coelacanth fish.
While you humans die,
I'll still be here....

Ribbits
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Ribbits » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:21 pm

That's very weird but it is very interesting but he choked on something :cry:
Fun
Really awesome
Oh yeah
Great pets
Super

thelostwolf12345
Pup
Pup
Name: Scruff

Post by thelostwolf12345 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:45 am

whoa talk about cheating death then he died but if i saw it i think i would freak out but then praise it but if i lived there and saw that chicken my reaction would be "oh now ive seen it all!"

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:32 pm

I've heard of this before. I'm just glad a picture link wasn't posted :| I feel bad for the chicken, in the end. But, everything must die eventually, whether it is a living phenomenon or not. I also think that Mike is a fitting name for a virtually headless chicken. :lol:
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:26 am

What a headless chicken never heard of it but quite interesting... Is it still alive?
Thanks Wolf Thief for the avvie! I love it! Ill be stalking you c:

STAY OUT MY MIRROR, STAY OUT OF MY WAY