Mountain Lion Walked 1,800 Miles Before Being Hit by Car

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Oceansong-Direwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Mountain Lion Walked 1,800 Miles Before Being Hit by Car

Post by Oceansong-Direwolf » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Last month, a mountain lion was struck and killed by a car in Connecticut -- and new details have emerged suggesting the animal had an incredible, record-breaking journey before it met that sad end. Following the accident, scientists puzzled over how the lion came to be there -- after all, the species hadn't been seen in the state for over a century. Scientists sampled the animal's DNA which hinted at something remarkable: the mountain lion was from to South Dakota, and it had apparently just walked a third of the way across the US.

Clues as the the mountain lion's origin might never have been known if it weren't for one incredible coincidence. Scientists testing the animal's DNA found it to be a perfect match with those randomly collected years earlier, nearly two-thousand miles to the west -- indicating the animal was from the Black Hill region of South Dakota. The discovery suggests that the animal had walked across at least six states and dozens of freeways before being killed by a car in Greenwich, Connetticut.

If that is true, scientists say it may be the long overland journey by a mammal ever recorded.

"The journey of this mountain lion is a testament to the wonders of nature and the tenacity and adaptability of this species," Daniel Esty, of the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, as reported by the BBC.

Despite the serendipity which lead to the much more being known about the mysterious mountain lion's roots than anyone initially imagined possible when it turned up on the east coast, other questions remain: What caused it to stray so far from its native region? And how did it overcome the many obstacles in its way without being injured or killed long before? At first, officials suspected the animal was a released pet -- but because it had not been neutered or declawed, that theory has been discredited.

This isn't the first time mountain lions from South Dakota have been spotted roaming into faraway urban areas, only to be killed for it. In 2008, a mountain lion was shot and killed after being discovered in Chicago. The cat were once broadly distributed throughout both North and South America, but the development of cities and town has reduced their available habitat -- forcing them to traverse through populated areas in search of unclaimed territories.
Source of informmation~ http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/07 ... by-car.php
One raindrop among millions.

snowywolf101
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Mountain Lion Walked 1,800 Miles Before Being Hit by Car

Post by snowywolf101 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:45 am

wow... i didn't even know that was possible! and also it is sad, it got hit by a car... i think someone should try and write a book in first person about that...
-~*`*~-
I don't mind it, I don't mind if you're overrated
Or if you're staring at the edge of the world.
-~*`*~-
Avvie/Siggie: Me

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:44 pm

That's incedibly sad. The poor critter walked all that way just to die. I hope he fares well. =(
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:20 pm

That must have been one determined cat; to cross over 1,800 miles must have been difficult. It's a shame to hear it was hit by a car though. Thanks for sharing. ^^
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

wolfluver86

Post by wolfluver86 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:57 pm

That's amazing that he walked 1,800 miles, but it is a shame for him to be hit by a car.

Yellowie100
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Yellowie100 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:37 am

That's incredible, but very sad that stupid people weren't paying attention to the rode. >_>
SHEEP<3

Toralu
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Toralu » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:43 am

This is amazing C;, people fail for hitting that mountain lion he could've been a legend if it weren't for people not paying attention to the roads >__>
...........T ● O ● R ● A ● L ● U
........“We are the music makers,
........and we are the dreamers of
.....................dreams”

.......................-Willy Wonka
..............Avvie (c) C-Lupus Sigge (c) Me

Legendary-Taco
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Legendary-Taco » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:24 pm

Oh, wowzers. What an amazing, yet somehow touching story. He strayed that far from his home, only for his 'journey' (Or whatever reason he was travelling for) to come to an abrupt end because of a car. Thank's for sharing, Oceansong-Direwolf :)
___________╔══════════╗

_________im pretty meme savvy...
______ Ask me anything chump xox
________(avatar by me boyo xox~)

___________╚══════════╝

April

Post by April » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:16 pm

That is actually really sad...It's like the cougar never reaped the reward of such a long journey. This would actually make a great novel.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack