Have you ever raised a wild animal?

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

fernpetal
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Have you ever raised a wild animal?

Post by fernpetal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:28 am

Hi,

I started this thread in hopes of learning more about fellow WQ members. I thought..What a great way to learn more about people than through animals? My love for animals stretches farther than most so i can relate to lots of people through them.

My question is, have you ever raised a wild animal? Or maybe even someone you know? I myself have had many wild animals come through my household looking for care. My mother is a vet assistant so it easy to run into animals who have no where to go. The top two animals i usually end up raising are racoons and squirrles. These animals are often orphaned because of storms blowing them out of their nest and predators killing their mothers. But there are all sorts of crazy reasons for an animal to end up homeless. Its sad but its nature. At the moment i have a pair of 2 week old squirrles their brother (also the runt) died yesterday. Raising these babies can be hard work!! I have to get up every three hours and feed them goat milk through a 1 cc serange. Catching up on sleep isnt worth ending a babies life, so im glad to help them. I came across these babies due to tree triming with my dad. He swore up and down the nest was old but it wasnt and as he clipped the branch their mother shot out before it fell to the ground. Sadly we couldnt take back what was done. The nest was destroyed and their mother (even if she could pick them up) would have no where to return them to.

Stories about taking in orphaned animals are always interesting to me, So please dont be shy!! Share your story!! ^^

~Fernpetal

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Re: Have you ever raised a wild animal?

Post by Masika » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:42 am

-Thread Moved to Nature & Wildlife-
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

lupin_blackwolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by lupin_blackwolf » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:19 pm

When i was little, our family found a newly hatched robin on our front lawn. He must have fallen out of his nest and it was good that we found him, what with the neighborhood cats wandering around all the time. I dont remember all the little details because i was so little, but i remember keeping him in a small box with cloths and other soft, warm things around him. One of my parents would have to feed him chopped up worms all day and night until he grew up a bit more. when he was big enough we would take him out side and dig some shallow holes for him. he would sit on my dads shoes as the dirt was turned up and hop off to grab a worm every time he saw one. We named him Robbie (creative, huh?). as he grew up we would leave him outside for longer periods of time, then one day he flew off. he would come back sometimes and sit on our arm or shoulder. even the next spring we saw him. then i guess the more wild side took over him and he stopped coming straight to us. a few years after though, a robin would come pretty close to one of us and if you whistled he would hop even closer. that was a very cool animal.

also, only a few years ago, we found a baby squirrel on our front lawn and we took him in. he lived outside in an old boot that we stuck high up in the hedge beside our house. he had lots of little blankets and not cat could get to him. we would feed him warm milk in a suring (sorry about spelling) and no cat could reach him. when he grew up, he left his boot and was just running wild around our neighborhood. a little boy ran over him with his bike and he ran off somewhere.i dont know if he lived.... he was so cute though.

also, when my dad was little, he and his family nursed a young kestrel (hawk like bird) back to life and let him go too.

i love wild animals and im all for looking after injured or young ones, as long as they are released afterwards.
-----------------..----------------..-----------------
I am Lυριη.
I roam the open land freely.
Nothing holds me back.
I am wild.
I am free.
I am a wolf.
-----------''-----------------''-----------
Avvie by April
Sig by Myself

Wolf_Lover01
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolf_Lover01 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:58 pm

Yes, I have raised a baby sparrow from a egg once. I named it Falcon, then realized that "it" was a she. The name stuck anyway. It was kind of cool because my parents didn't even know about the bird in my room for the first couple weeks. In the end I told them, they were okay with it, kept her for another few weeks, then she flew away.
.________________ K i p c h a
______________a v v i e :: R i v e r 6
________________s i g :: c r u p i

__W e chicken i t e :: http://thestoneden.proboards.com

purplesnerd

Post by purplesnerd » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:00 pm

Yes I have raised wild animals before. Once me and my family raised three orphaned squirrels. But in the end only one survived because the other two just stopped eating. Another time we found a young Bluejay and it almost got hit by a car so we took it in but it wouldn't eat or anything. Turned had fallen out of the nest and was learning to fly so we let it go. Not long before that we found a newly hatched baby bird. Naked, pink, featherless and somehow it fell from about fifteen feet onto our concrete patio and lived! We kept it alive for around a week and then we put it in a container by a robins nest under our porch. The mother bird took care of it for a day but then the baby bird died. :( We raised three more squirrels and once again, only one survived. We saw it living around the neighbor hood for a few years and then we just didn't see it anymore. Ok, I gotta go to bed now. 'Night!

Sparkledog
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Sparkledog » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:59 am

If taking care of injured animals counts, then yes.
I took care of an injured bluetongue lizard back in late '09, I think. I don't remember exactly what was wrong with it, but I remember taking care of it for a while. My family and I were thinking of keeping it as a pet, but we had to release it.

I really, really barely remember the whole issue and why we had to release it, but this is just what I remember.

Hi, I'm SparkleDog.
Hi. Hello.
How's it going?

blackops43
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by blackops43 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:13 pm

well my family found a albino pup a few weeks ago and it was to young to even be in the wild alone so i said let me raise it untill its old enough to be in the wild alone so yea i thought it how to howl to hunt (i just had bugs or something) and how to protect it self so yea it got old enough to let it in the wild it was so cute tho i wish it hadent have to be in the wild :3

fernpetal
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by fernpetal » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:04 pm

Wow lol ALL very cool/cute stories!

Birds and squirrles seemed to be very popular lol.

Once maybe 2 or 2 1/2 years my family and i lived in ocala, Lots of woods there :) He was out hunting one day when he saw this water snake going after something. Before the snake could get it my dad found the baby bird it was after. After weeks of feeding it chicken livers we took em in to find out what bird he was turns out he was an American Kestrel hawk. Americas smallest hawk btw lol. He was real pretty and spunky to :) surprisingly those chicken livers got him to adult hood and he flew off after about 3 months of livin with us :) He didnt come back much and i no longer live in ocala so i dont really know what hes up to now :D

lightshadowwolf223
Pup
Pup

Post by lightshadowwolf223 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:07 am

When i was little i had a whitetail fawn for a few months then we let it go. :mrgreen:
Hunting is not destruction and i get annoyed by people all ways going like: OOO your killing the animals!
I just say: No. its population managment, and could someone who hates animals know so much about them?

fernpetal
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by fernpetal » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:39 am

Wow, thats been my dream lol is to have my own pet dear! Deer would have to be one of my most favorite animal simply because their so mysterious!

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:09 am

Very cool stories everyone- so many caring folks we have here^^

I can't recall a time I ever raised a wild animal from a juvenile to an adult, but when I was younger I use to catch things and then eventually let them go. I once had a Five-lined Skink, a tarantula, and some Painted Turtles. That was actually all in the same summer while I was in Oklahoma. xD We kept the tarantula for the longest, but he ended up escaping. Never knew where he ended up, but we think he got out the sunroom door since it was open all day that day it escaped.

But just remember guys, you can't always be a hero- you should look into local animal rehabilitation centers if you find an injured or juvenile wild animal so they can get the proper care they need^^

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Atropine » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:18 am

A little less than a year ago my neighbour's cat brought in a wild baby rabbit - luckily the little guy was unscathed and they asked me to look after him. I had to syringe feed him goats milk then I got hold of some kitten formula; it was a lot of work but he managed to stay healthy :D

Unfortunately he became too familiar with humans so out in the wild he wouldn't stand a chance. I handed him over to kind woman who owns a wildlife sanctuary and he now has access to a huge run with a nice warm hut. =D Here's a little picture of him when he was a baby (we named him Peanut<3): http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9206/peanutl.png
Kivia wrote:But just remember guys, you can't always be a hero- you should look into local animal rehabilitation centers if you find an injured or juvenile wild animal so they can get the proper care they need^^
^This. A friend of mine took in a chick that had fallen out of its nest (I think it was a pigeon), and she had no experience with rearing or looking after birds. It died not long after :c

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:04 pm

I was and still am!

He came to us at less than a day old with a crippled leg,a big apitate,no siblings,and slim chances for survival. Though that was over two years ago and the animal is now happy and healthy but is unable to be released for a varity of reasons. His species is considered pests by many. Living with one its hard for me to understand why their pests. This magnificent little bird is... Peep the house sparrow! I have caught many moments on video and he is the star of my youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/animalguy888?feature=mhee
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

Briggs
Pup
Pup

Post by Briggs » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:29 am

I have raised baby Squirrels, birds, and a turtle. Unfortunately the birds didn't make it most of the time because they are very fragile, which is why I will always recommend calling a professional animal rescuer to hand off the animals too.
Last edited by Briggs on Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------˚˚B R I G G S˚˚---------------------------------
º |Don't Believe In You, Believe In Me Who Believes In You| º
--------------------------Originally Joined WQ In 2007

HappygirlXD
Yearling
Yearling

Post by HappygirlXD » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:41 pm

No, I haven't, nor do I know anyone who has. D: