Have you ever raised a wild animal?

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

FireWolf5

Re: Have you ever raised a wild animal?

Post by FireWolf5 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:03 am

Well, my parents and I have attempted to save a baby rabbit (which my dog literally carried into the house), but it died within a day. Another attempt was to raise a baby opossum, which ended up dying a few days after we found him.

ShadoWolf0913
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ShadoWolf0913 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:29 pm

There is a family of cats who live in my yard. Recently we caught and spayed the female, but before that, she would have kittens and bring them to our house to eat. We would try to catch them, raise them, and then give them up for adoption. We raised four kittens that way. :) Also, not sure how "wild" they are considered, but I often catch crickets in my back yard and keep them as pets. Unfortunately, they usually die after a few days, but I had one that lived for over a month once. I have taken in a few garter snakes from my backyard too.

The Timeless One wrote:I am currently raising two ravens.
Must say, it's not very hard.
Ooo cool, I love ravens! ^^
"Real strength means being able to face your problems and overcome them. Only then are you truly free."

~ShadoWolf, proud alphess of NightClaw Pack

SilverSparks12
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SilverSparks12 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:45 pm

Once, when I stayed with my aunt, she found a baby bluejay, she raisaed it and took very good care of it. Then it grew up, it learned how to fly, and often flew all around the neighborhood. It would bring back bright, colorful objects back to her house, and always slept inside, but he never flew away. All the neighbors would love to see him fly or land on their porch. Even my aunt's dog would get along with the bluejay and play with him.
But one day the Bluejay flew on into a neighbor's porch, a ceiling fan was running and he flew right into it. That was a sad day, :( but he lived a while compared to a wild bird, and I had alot of fun with him too.
~Larkstar of The Four Clans

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Yes.

I volunteer at a wildlife rehab center. I've personally taken care of coyote adults/pups, some birds, a few squirrels, and a raccoon or two.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

ArrowWolf005
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ArrowWolf005 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:26 pm

When I was younger, my mom found a baby bird that fell out of it's nest by her work. She put it in a box and we took it to a bird place. A few weeks later we learned it was a blue jay. ...That was like five years ago.
Arrow
Hunting with the pack for 2 years
Rumors
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=71954
Definition
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=72174

SpiritOfTruth
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SpiritOfTruth » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:19 pm

Really interesting. I have taken care of a Gray Owl and Baby Flying Squirrels. I loved them to death and they are part of the family. We gave them away to a wildlife reserve though because they are happier there.
ѕινєя ωιєяηєѕѕ ρα
~Okami~ α σуα ~Accalia~
нσρє ιѕ α ωαкιηg яєαм
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70592

Andoria
Pup
Pup

Post by Andoria » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:10 pm

A poor chipmunk hit by a car came into my house for a little bit before being taken to the local animal shelter. I hope they managed to save it, though I wouldn't be surprised if it passed away.
I've found many an inchworm as a kid. You take them in, keep them for a day, then let them go :D
Actually, I'm a dog. But wolves are cool too.
My MP is Andoria, of course.
I'm an artist! Please visit my DA at mori101.deviantart.com :)

Shy Fawn
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Shy Fawn » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:13 am

Recently, I believe that there was a blue-jay nest in a tree in my yard, and apparently, three of them fell out, and one died. But the other two, I kept, and then, a new one hatched yesterday! So, it's a great experience studying these wonderful birds. :D

-Lunaa-
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by -Lunaa- » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:58 pm

I've actually raised a turtle before and some birds

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”