New Shark Species Found in Food Market

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Kali

New Shark Species Found in Food Market

Post by Alpha Female » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:05 am

I thought this was a rather interesting article. If you'd like to see pictures of the new species of shark, you can on the link provided. ^^
It's unlikely anyone's ever complained, "Waiter, there's a new species in my soup." But the situation isn't as rare as you might think.
A monkey, a lizard, and an "extinct" bird have all been discovered en route to the dinner plate, and now a new shark species joins their ranks, scientists report.

Fish taxonomists found the previously unknown shark at a market in Taiwan—no big surprise, according to study co-author William White.

"Most fish markets in the region will regularly contain sharks," White, of the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization in Hobart, Australia, said via email.

In fact, he and a colleague had headed to the Tashi Fish Market specifically to "collect some material and to see whether there were noticeable differences in the [shark] catches from previous decades," he said.

"Amongst a number of other species, we collected a number of Squalus species—one of which was this new high-fin species."

The new species, Squalus formosus, is a three-foot-long (one-meter-long) short-nosed dogfish. It's distinguished from other dogfish species in the Squalus genus by a particularly upright first fin on its back, a strong spine, and a very short, rounded head, White said.

New Species Likely Unnoticed by Eaters
S. formosus ("Formosa" being a former name for Taiwan), likely wound up in the fish market in the same way most deep-ocean sharks do—as bycatch, accidentally ensnared during hunts for other fish.

In fish markets, "it is unlikely people would know the difference"—tastewise or otherwise—between the new species and other sharks, said White, emphasizing that he hasn't eaten the new species and doesn't know how it's prepared.

"Similar species in Indonesia are salted and dried for human consumption and fins used as filler in the shark-fin soup trade," he said. "But that doesn't necessarily reflect what they do with the sharks in Taiwan."

From One Species, Many
The new species is currently known only from waters around Taiwan and Japan and is unlikely to be found much farther afield, White said, since Squalus species tend to have narrow ranges.

Many species once thought to be wide-ranging have been shown to actually be multiple, but similar, species with smaller ranges, he said.

One benefit of scientifically classifying all these closely related, narrow-ranging species is that scientists will be able to better assess just how healthy their populations are—or aren't.

Because deepwater sharks don't reproduce rapidly, they have a harder time bouncing back from overfishing, White said. "So personally, I have a preference not to eat these animals."
Source: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... s-dogfish/
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Vira Mote
Pup
Pup

Re: New Shark Species Found in Food Market

Post by Vira Mote » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:56 am

Very interesting Alpha thanks for sharing! Pity. I cant see the pictures, cuz im working on old comp and there's error. Maybe later ill see them.

EDIT: Saw a pictures! Whoa!! Huray!
Last edited by Vira Mote on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry For my a bit terrible English !!

...¸.•*¨*`•.¸Vira Mote ¸.•*¨*`•.¸

♫ Cool
♫ Nice
♫ Friendly
♫ Helpful
♫ Modest
♫ Just... Amazing!
♫ =)

Oceansong-Direwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Oceansong-Direwolf » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:43 pm

This is very interesting. It would be funny if someone yelled, "Waiter why is there a new species in my soup?" Anyways, thanks for sharing, Alpha Female!
One raindrop among millions.

Overcast

Post by Overcast » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:15 pm

I guess that was bound to happen eventually... a rather random read Alpha Female, but thanks anyway^^! Heh, I'll probably start wondering whats new in my foods now...

Grin
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Grin » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:42 pm

Haha, this is actually pretty funny. ^^ It makes me wonder where a new species will appear next.

___┍ ɢ ʀ ɪ ɴ ┑___

▔▔┕ ʜ ᴏ ᴜ ɴ ᴅ ┙▔▔

Howleen
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Howleen » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:59 pm

Lol, wow. This was interesting to read about, thanks for posting, Alpha!
New account @ Kodex.

Swoofzilla
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Swoofzilla » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:05 am

That was very interesting. A little sad that it was discovered as food rather than in the wild, but a great find nonetheless. Thanks for sharing!

-Winter
Pup
Pup

Post by -Winter » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:39 am

I wonder what else will appear in the food market next. ;P
.....(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸...-Ɯιитɛя...¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
...`¯¨.¸¸´.´.¸)´.¸).....(¸.´ (¸.´ .´ ¸¸.¨¯`.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while
we're here, we should dance"

.....................................................-Anonymous

Icon © Gingerlite

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”