The Living Bridges of Cherrapunji

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Croix
Former WQ Moderator

The Living Bridges of Cherrapunji

Post by Croix » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:06 am

In the depths of northeastern India, in one of the wettest places on earth, bridges aren't built - they're grown.

The living bridges of Cherrapunji, India are made from the roots of the Ficus elastica tree. This tree produces a series of secondary roots from higher up its trunk and can comfortably perch atop huge boulders along the riverbanks, or even in the middle of the rivers themselves.

Cherrapunji is credited with being the wettest place on earth, and The War-Khasis, a tribe in Meghalaya, long ago noticed this tree and saw in its powerful roots an opportunity to easily cross the area's many rivers. Now, whenever and wherever the need arises, they simply grow their bridges.

In order to make a rubber tree's roots grow in the right direction - say, over a river - the Khasis use betel nut trunks, sliced down the middle and hollowed out, to create root-guidance systems.
The thin, tender roots of the rubber tree, prevented from fanning out by the betel nut trunks, grow straight out. When they reach the other side of the river, they're allowed to take root in the soil. Given enough time, a sturdy, living bridge is produced.

The root bridges, some of which are over a hundred feet long, take ten to fifteen years to become fully functional, but they're extraordinarily strong - strong enough that some of them can support the weight of fifty or more people at a time.
Because they are alive and still growing, the bridges actually gain strength over time - and some of the ancient root bridges used daily by the people of the villages around Cherrapunji may be well over five hundred years old.

One special root bridge, believed to be the only one of its kind in the world, is actually two bridges stacked one over the other and has come to be known as the "Umshiang Double-Decker Root Bridge."
Source: http://rootbridges.blogspot.com/
The article also has some amazing photos as well.

A Needlepoint Dreary
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: The Living Bridges of Cherrapunji

Post by A Needlepoint Dreary » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm

Wow, Croix; this is amazing! The photos are incredible o.o Thanks for sharing buddy<3
Abandoning this account. I'll be known on my other one, "the ACTUAL dizzy" once it is activated.

-04.17.2013-

Oceansong-Direwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Oceansong-Direwolf » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:35 pm

That's amazing, Croix! Nice photos as well. ^^ Thanks for sharing.
One raindrop among millions.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Kali

Post by Alpha Female » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Oh wow, those are stunning! It seems like something from another world, thanks for sharing Croix. :3
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Chemuhk
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Chemuhk » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:07 pm

Wow, thank's for sharing! This is really amazing, I didn't know this was possible!
För allting börja nånstans när ja tappar balansen,
Woah,
Det klart det blir så när man dansar
nära kanten.

Grin
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Grin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:08 am

Those bridges are so beautiful! They look like they belong in an Indiana Jones movie to me.

___┍ ɢ ʀ ɪ ɴ ┑___

▔▔┕ ʜ ᴏ ᴜ ɴ ᴅ ┙▔▔

Croix
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Croix » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:32 am

I'm glad you all like them. c:

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”