. General Kiwi Discussion .

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Oceansong-Direwolf
Yearling
Yearling

. General Kiwi Discussion .

Post by Oceansong-Direwolf » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:02 pm

Kiwi are flightless birds endemic to New Zealand, in the genus Apteryx and family Apterygidae.

At around the size of a domestic chicken, kiwi are by far the smallest living ratites and lay the largest egg in relation to their body size of any species of bird in the world. There are five recognised species, all of which are endangered; all species have been adversely affected by historic deforestation but currently large areas of their forest habitat are well protected in reserves and national parks. At present, the greatest threat to their survival is predation by invasive mammalian predators.

The kiwi is a national symbol of New Zealand — indeed, the association is so strong that the term Kiwi is used, all over the world, as the colloquial demonym for New Zealanders.
That was only a little bit on kiwi──for more, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi.

I love kiwi. They are such adorable creatures! ^^ It's unfortunate that they are endangered, though. But people are trying to save them, so they can still be saved. I love flightless birds of all kinds, but the kiwi is definitely my favorite flightless bird.
One raindrop among millions.

HappygirlXD
Yearling
Yearling

Re: . General Kiwi Discussion .

Post by HappygirlXD » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:20 pm

Kiwis are adorable, and the name sounds delicious.

x-Riley-x
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by x-Riley-x » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:49 am

I adore Kiwi's. Just something about their subtle awkwardness is to much to not notice. It's a real shame their endangered though, I would love to see them come back. (:
I M A G I N E . D R A G O N S
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋
--Now don't you understand.
'I'm never changing who I am.

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:38 pm

x-Riley-x wrote:I adore Kiwi's. Just something about their subtle awkwardness is to much to not notice. It's a real shame their endangered though, I would love to see them come back. (:

What unique creatures. I must agree, its a shame they are endangered.
Thanks for sharing the info Ocean! ^^
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )