Talking to Dolphins...

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Snowy Drift
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Talking to Dolphins...

Post by Snowy Drift » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:43 pm

This year, enormous strides have been made in understanding non-human animal vocalizations. But will we ever be able to hold meaningful conversations with another species, such that both sides understand each other?

Consider what we've learned about dolphins recently. Research a few months ago determined that dolphins talk like humans in terms of the physical process. Previously it was thought that many dolphin calls were just simple whistles, but the study found the sounds are produced by tissue vibrations analogous to the operation of vocal folds by humans.

Acoustics engineer John Stuart Reid and Jack Kassewitz of the organization Speak Dolphin have created an instrument known as the CymaScope that reveals detailed structures within sounds, allowing their architecture to be studied pictorially.

Similar to deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphs, the researchers may then be able to figure out the meaning of dolphin calls. In addition to the whistle-like sounds, dolphins produce chirps and click trains, suggesting they engage in very complex and sophisticated social interactions.

"There is strong evidence that dolphins are able to 'see' with sound, much like humans use ultrasound to see an unborn child in the mother's womb," Kassewitz told Discovery News. "The CymaScope provides our first glimpse into what the dolphins might be 'seeing' with their sounds."

We might have to use special equipment to reproduce such sounds, but if that's possible and the sounds are deciphered, meaningful communication with dolphins could be a reality.
I got the article from Discovery News.

I don't think we will be able to have actual conversations with dolphins. I'm not sure all dolphins speak the same click "language," so things could get confusing. What do you people think?
The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?

Tita
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Talking to Dolphins...

Post by Tita » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:37 am

How interesting! Of course, it wouldn't be like talking to a human, but it might work. I have my doubts though.

Thanks for sharing. ^^
Last edited by Tita on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go away, evil Mr. Scissors!

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:12 am

Hmm. How interesting. Well, dolphins are very intelligent creatures that are probably capable of many things we are unaware of. This "meaningful" contact could actually be a way for humans to learn from dolphins instead of the other way around.
thanks for the share though Snowy! ^^
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Tita
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Tita » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:59 am

BlackWarrior wrote:Hmm. How interesting. Well, dolphins are very intelligent creatures that are probably capable of many things we are unaware of. This "meaningful" contact could actually be a way for humans to learn from dolphins instead of the other way around.
thanks for the share though Snowy! ^^
Yes, I agree. I think they might get pretty far with this. It will certainly be an informative experience.
Go away, evil Mr. Scissors!

firepheonix
Pup
Pup

Post by firepheonix » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:22 pm

I wish I want to have a dolphin in our pool. They are wonderful creature!
.............¸¸.*¨*`.Moon Howler Pack.*¨*`.¸.
.............................ƒrεεժօ is a spirit,
...........................ƒrεεժօ is օvεr thεrε
.........................ƒrεεժօ livεs iռ hεart
.....................Hօաl at thε Mօօn ƒօr thε pacĸ.
........................Anժ this աilժεrnεss is օurs!
.....................'......¸¸.*¨*`..*¨*`.¸.

Silver_Stream00
Pup
Pup

Post by Silver_Stream00 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:30 am

I think this topic is extremely interesting. It would be fascinating if we could talk to dolphins! Imagine what things we could learn....there is a bonobo who has learnt how to talk using symbols, why can't dolphins? They are very intelligent....
.//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
.//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
...........Orbit, proud to be a Zaka of the African Stars Pack!
.//.......'.'.'.'..Come join the largest pack on WolfQuest today!:
..../....//.http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Signature/Avatar by the African Stars Pack.

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Tue May 01, 2012 5:24 pm

I just love Dolphins because there the only sea animals lol that nice or mammals in the Wild! Of course the very realistic animals in such beauty in the water
Did you guys ever the saw the movie when the women got stuck in the sea and one of her friend help and also the Dolphins. I did. such helpful animals..