:: The Capybaras

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Kyrarah
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Kyrarah » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:21 am

-- The Capybaras are the largest rodents in the world. They live in almost all South America, and are known for being one of the preys of the animals in Amazon Rainforest. Their closest relatives are agouti, chinchillas, coyphillas, and guinea pigs.

:: Scientific Classification ::

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Subphylum: Vertebrata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Rodentia
Suborder: Hystricomorpha
Family: Caviidae
Subfamily: Hydrochoerinae
Genus: Hydrochoerus
Species: Hydrochoerus hydrochaeris

Wikypedia wrote: Capybaras have heavy, barrel-shaped bodies and short heads with reddish-brown fur on the upper part of their body that turns yellowish-brown underneath. The sweat glands of the capybara can be found in its haired skin surface, an unusual trait among rodents.[5] The animal lacks underhair and there is little difference between the guard hair and overhair. Adult capybaras grow to 107 to 134 cm (3.51 to 4.40 ft) in length, stand 50 to 64 cm (20 to 25 in) tall at the withers and typically weigh 35 to 66 kg (77 to 150 lb), with an average in the Venezuelan llanos of 48.9 kg (108 lb).[9][10] The top recorded weight are 91 kg (200 lb) for a wild female from Brazil and 73.5 kg (162 lb) for a wild male from Uruguay.[5][11] The dental formula is Upper: 1.1.0.0, lower: 1.1.3.3.[5] Capybaras have slightly webbed feet and a vestigial tail.[5] Their back legs are slightly longer than their front legs and their muzzles are blunt with eyes, nostrils, and ears on top of their head. Females are slightly heavier than males.
Picture: http://petmag.uol.com.br/e/blog/redacao ... cao_11.jpg

-- I guess most of you guys have no idea of the existence of this animal, and I didn't find any topic of it. In my opinion, they are very cute animals <3 So yeah, what do you think?

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capybara

LeaderOfDreams
Yearling
Yearling

Re: :: The Capybaras

Post by LeaderOfDreams » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks for sharing Kyrarah! Capybaras are very cute animals and they do go unrecognised to many people. When I first saw them on a tv program a few years ago I asked my mother if it was a giant Guinea pig, which is now quite embarrassing. Here is some extra information on why people get Capybaras and Guinea pigs mixed up:
The capybara is the largest member of the rodent family. This animal can grow up to 4 feet long and many full grown capybaras may weigh more than 100 pounds. A capybara has feet that are partially webbed, very large deposits of fat in its skin, and a thin coat of brown hair. A typical description of the rodent is that it looks like a very large guinea pig. This description is very accurate in the fact that both guinea pigs and capybaras are members of the Family Caviidae (Burton 526). Both the guinea pig and capybara originated in Peru. Due to the portable size of the guinea-pig it was easily introduced throughout the world; the larger capybara mainly has remained in its land of origin. While there are many similarities of the two species, the capybara truly has its own unique characteristics. This large rodent is surprisingly “essentially aquatic in habit, and lives in bands by rivers and lakes in tropical America,” according to the New Larousse Encyclopedia of Animal Life (527). The capybara uses its swimming abilities to dive into the water and escape danger from larger land predators.
Source: http://www4.samford.edu/schools/artsci/ ... apage.html

Kyrarah
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: :: The Capybaras

Post by Kyrarah » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:35 am

Ohh, thanks for adding this information Glisten c: I'm happy I'm not the only one who have heard if those animals (Well, I already saw them). I will add this additional information on the front post as soon as possible ;3

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”