"Unicorn" in Italy

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Silver_Stream00
Pup
Pup

"Unicorn" in Italy

Post by Silver_Stream00 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:28 am

Hi Guys! Look at this:
Apprently in a reserve in Italy there is a roe deer who gave birth to two fawns. 1 fawn was a normal fawn, and the other had 1 horn in the middle of it's forehead. It was called "Unicorn" by the media. What do you think? Please don't let this start into an argument, and I am sorry if this is in the wrong place in the forum.
.//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
.//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
...........Orbit, proud to be a Zaka of the African Stars Pack!
.//.......'.'.'.'..Come join the largest pack on WolfQuest today!:
..../....//.http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Signature/Avatar by the African Stars Pack.

lupin_blackwolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: "Unicorn" in Italy

Post by lupin_blackwolf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:15 pm

there has actually been quite a few cases of this in deer, cows, sheep, goats, etc... anything with horns/antlers. its a kind of mutation where the pedicals (root of the antler/horn) get twisted together, in a sense. this causes the antlers/horns to grow together and meld into one point. it has also been done manually. when the animal is just starting to grow their first antlers/horns, man can twist them together with a bind while they are still soft and growing, this melds them together into one as well.
deer:
http://agentnikita.files.wordpress.com/ ... .jpg?w=490
Cow: http://webecoist.momtastic.com/wp-conte ... orns_4.jpg
goat: http://www.lair2000.net/Unicorn_Dreams/ ... celot2.jpg
its very cool thing to read up one, i encourage everyone to do some research on it. ;)
so, technically, unicorns (meaning "one horn") ARE actually real. :D
-----------------..----------------..-----------------
I am Lυριη.
I roam the open land freely.
Nothing holds me back.
I am wild.
I am free.
I am a wolf.
-----------''-----------------''-----------
Avvie by April
Sig by Myself

ForgottenDreams
Pup
Pup

Post by ForgottenDreams » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:42 am

Lupin, most your facts are correct however, I'm not sure if your last statement is right:
so, technically, unicorns (meaning "one horn") ARE actually real.

This is the meaning of unicorn -
1. A heraldic representation of such an animal, with a twisted horn, a deer's feet, a goat's beard, and a lion's tail.

Now, I always thought that a unicorn was just a fantasy creature with a horn, but apparently the dictionary says otherwise! ^^ Do correct me if I am mistaken.

Thank you for the interesting read Silver_Stream00 and Lupin, really fun to research on this 'animal'.
Moving accounts to Crupi. See you there.

Icon © Nightangelwolf

lupin_blackwolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by lupin_blackwolf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks for the contribution. (:
But, I was talking about the literal translation of unicorn, coming form the Latin word "
ūnicornis", meaning "to have one horn". Over time, unicorns have become the mythical stereotypes that we know of today and the word got its own definition of being a single animal with boundaries of its appearance and abilities. But when you look at the origin of the word, you see that it could possibly be talking about any animal with one horn protruding from its forehead.
Nowadays, "unicorn" means a "magical white horse with a twisty horn", or a "deer-like creature with a twisty horn", or "often a horse with a single horn",or the one that you described, but if you go back far enough, it really just means animal with a single horn. So there is kind of a line between basing your thoughts off myth (magic horse) or reality (one horn).
Thanks for the correction! (:
I am Lυριη.
Nothing holds me back.
I am wild.
I am free.
I am a wolf.
Avvie by April
Sig by Myself

Honey wolf

Post by Honey wolf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:52 am

' uni ' means one, for example, unicycle ( one wheeled bicycle )
I have read about this:
'" new possibility for the inspiration of the unicorn came in 2008 with the discovery of a roe deer in Italy with a single horn. Single-horned deer are not uncommon; however, the placement of the horn in the middle is very unusual. Fulvio Fraticelli, scientific director of Rome's zoo, has said "Generally, the horn is on one side (of the head) rather than being at the center. This looks like a complex case."[33] Fraticelli also acknowledges that the placement of the horn could have been the result of some type of trauma in the life of the deer.[33]

According to Gilberto Tozzi, director of the Center of Natural Science in Prato, “this single-horn deer is conscious to its uniqueness and does not come out a lot, always hiding.”

Information taken from wikipedia, all information goes to the rightful writer. ( the info was copyed and pasted, and I did not right it. but I have read about it )

In conclusion the animal may have been deformed at birth, case like this have been seen before, as lupin_blackwolf has stated.
Last edited by Honey wolf on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

lupin_blackwolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by lupin_blackwolf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:57 am

i find it quite amusing when animals "realize" the mutation they have and try to "hide away from everyone". this really is a very interesting topic to be posted and it is a wonderful chance for people to learn more about someting they probably would not have thought of before.
Thanks for posting this
Silver_Stream00!
Last edited by lupin_blackwolf on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Lυριη.
Nothing holds me back.
I am wild.
I am free.
I am a wolf.
Avvie by April
Sig by Myself

Honey wolf

Post by Honey wolf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:36 am

Oh no! my friend hacked into my accont again :evil: She keeps coming around my house when im on the forums and I leave the computer on stand by, then she goes on to my account and does stuff and confuses things for everybody! :x Rawr, i'm... never... ever... ever leaving the computer on stand by when shes around again! :evil: :x

Sorry for the confusion, I better put up a safe lock eh?
And yes it is quite funny when animals hide when they are deformed, kinda like humans in a way...

lillilollypop
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by lillilollypop » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:12 am

I belive that the legends of the Unicorn had to come from somewhere though it was not a horse with a single horn, I belive that Unicorns do exist but its mearly a malfunction of there genetic code.
Cookies are yummy!! :D

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Sat May 12, 2012 5:39 pm

I dont even believe In Unicorn Cause one there Fake two there Not Real! Thanks Silver_Stream00 For sharing that though!

Raining Precedence
Pup
Pup

Post by Raining Precedence » Mon May 14, 2012 11:55 pm

I've heard about such occurrences before, although they never really struck me! It's somewhat odd, yet pretty cool to think of a unicorn that way. x3 I'm so used to picturing a magical horse when I hear the term "unicorn". It appears you guys are correct--apparently unicorns do exist, when you take a look at the actual definition.
WolvesOfTheSeas wrote:I dont even believe In Unicorn Cause one there Fake two there Not Real! Thanks Silver_Stream00 For sharing that though!
It's not an actual unicorn, as in the mythical creature. This is just a deer with a deformity. :P However, it does, by definition, qualify for a "unicorn" because of that--just not the unicorn you are thinking of.
▪■▪■▪■▪■▪
--אּFifteen years of dreaming came and went.
▪■▪■▪■▪■▪

Left WolfQuest.

Ice Paw
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Ice Paw » Tue May 15, 2012 6:00 am

My friend has a "uni-goat," where it has one single horn on its head. I'm sure it is quite normal to find animals like this in nature as well.

I
C
E

P
A
W

eagle15
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by eagle15 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:46 pm

My dad's friend he has a farm and out in the woods behind his farm are deer. But the weird thing is that the herds in there have normal antlers but the second herd has all deer with one horn. I don't get why the herds are seperate. Also to Icepaw's post I've always wanted to see a uni-goat
better find shelter you wont want to get caught out in the blizzard
it can get really cold out here

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”