Eastern Bluebirds

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

CloeWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Eastern Bluebirds

Post by CloeWolf » Thu May 03, 2012 6:36 am

I absolutely love bluebirds. When I moved into my current house, I noticed that there were two bluebird homes outside. My mom and I decided to clean them out one spring. They didn't come. They didn't work for a while. Then, this spring, for the first time in quite a few years, according to our next door neighbors, they came. We saw the entire family go over there with nesting material. Now, we have fledgling chicks crammed in there, who should be learning to fly soon. In our other bluebird home, we have Tufted Titmouse chicks, who are a lot younger than the bluebirds.
Anyways, from observing the bluebirds in my yard, and from reading about them, I've come to know about and love bluebirds.
I have Eastern Bluebirds where I live. They make up the majority of the bluebird species in the lower 48 states.
The Eastern Bluebird prefers rural areas and favors edges of open areas. Meadows, fencelines and roads are some of the most common habitats of the bird
That explains the Eastern Bluebird's preferred habitat.
I love watching them, and can't wait to hear other stories and info about Eastern Bluebirds!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
--Gandhi

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Eastern Bluebirds

Post by paperpaws » Thu May 03, 2012 8:09 am

Ohh, those are really pretty! I don't believe we have them over here in the Netherlands, but those birds look really cute and interesting. Do you have any photos of the chicks? :)

CloeWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Eastern Bluebirds

Post by CloeWolf » Thu May 03, 2012 10:02 am

Unfortunately I don't. I went to photograph them this morning, but they weren't there. Apparently, they have flown off already! I thought I had seen some very small little blue colored birds, and now I have my answer. Anyways, sorry you couldn't see them, but here are some other ones: http://www.burdr.com/wp-content/uploads ... 5d4878.jpg
Typically, one brood consists of about four or five. Ours surprisingly had six.
A very close-up video of Eastern Bluebirds fledging:
I'm hoping to try and hand feed them. Considering how young they are, and the fact that they didn't mind when I looked inside the nest, it should probably be easier than most bluebirds. Anyways, I'm glad you found them interesting!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
--Gandhi