Giant Crocodile Breaks Size Record

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Kali

Giant Crocodile Breaks Size Record

Post by Alpha Female » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 pm

I thought this was interesting since I watched a short video on how they got Lolong (the crocodile) across the river on a raft. It's quite interesting to watch, but I felt bad for the animal. Anyways, here's the article about him, you can find pictures on the link provided. ^^
Lolong has hit the big time—at 20.24 feet (6.17 meters) long, the saltwater crocodile is officially the largest in captivity, the Guinness World Records announced recently.

Suspected of attacking several people and killing two, the giant reptile was captured alive in the Philippines' Bunawan township last September.

The Guinness listing is based on data by experts including crocodile zoologist Adam Britton, who measured the beast in his home, the new Bunawan Eco-Park and Research Centre.

Initially wary of claims of record-breaking size, Britton blogged his congratulations to Lolong "for amazing the skeptic in me."

"I didn't expect to ever see a crocodile greater than 20 feet long in my lifetime, not an experience I will forget easily," wrote Britton, senior partner of the Australia-based crocodilian research and consulting group Big Gecko.

The previous captive record-holder was a 17.97-foot-long (5.48-meter-long) Australian-caught saltwater crocodile.

What's more, Britton noted, the 2,370-pound (1,075-kilogram) Lolong may have a sizable impact on crocodile conservation in the Philippines.

For instance, the Philippine Senate recently introduced a resolution to strengthen laws protecting the saltwater crocodile and the Philippine crocodile, a species deemed critically endangered by the International Union for Conservation of Nature.

As Britton wrote on his blog, "this is excellent progress."
Source: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... s-science/
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Giant Crocodile Breaks Size Record

Post by Edme1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Wow, that's amazing! I'm glad that the Philippines have stepped up conservation laws to protect it and other species of crocodile. Thanks for sharing! :)
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:56 am

Wow, that guy is creepy, and that guy didn't even break the former record by a little bit... must be an unique size. Glad to hear that they didn't kill the animal and that protection laws are enforced. I hope exhibiting Lolong can somehow help in motivating people to support the protection of crocodiles.
wyrd bið ful aræd
* inactive until further notice due to time and hardware limitations

Leaf Rain
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Leaf Rain » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:03 pm

Well, it may have harmed people, but that crocodile is amazing! Reminds me why they are some of my favorite animals.
⊱ Leaf Rain ⊰

Never explain-
Your friends don't need it,
And your enemies will not believe you anyway.
≍≍≍≍≍≍≍≍

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”