gopher tortoise burned and smashed

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Fidd/Randy/Bell

gopher tortoise burned and smashed

Post by Riceboy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:52 pm

So yesterday, a gopher tortoise was BURNED and SMASHED by a few young girls. The girls who commited the act played it off as if they were simply bored, and got angry when people started saying something about it. Of course, she deleted the video, but one of her classmates ended up seeing it, saved it, and re-uploaded it for the purpose of using it as proof to contact authorities. HOWEVER the video was removed due to YouTube's terms of service. If you wish to find it yourself I WARN YOU HERE AND NOW THAT IT IS INCREDIBLY GRAPHIC AND DISTURBING AND TO LOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK.
------

What happened to it exactly? (also generally graphic)
Well. They ended up lighting it on fire, chasing it as it tried to flee, throwing it against the road so hard it bounced, and then continued to rip its shell open. Quote the girls, they evidently "just wanted it to die" and since they were bored, they recorded themselves torturing the animal.

------

Not only that, but the gopher tortoise are a step above endangered, and it is illegal to even harass them, their eggs, and/or their burrows, let alone kill them.
Good news is, the FWC has taken up the case, and the girls are
evidently being trialed as adults.
(Link to the MyFWC Facebook post): http://on.fb.me/1nyKjb5

And multiple news articles have been posted about it.
(Link to News4Jax's post about it): http://bit.ly/1mi7KVP

------

Honestly this is the kind of stuff that concerns me. We hunt for food, protection, or shelter. But this is downright concerning and sickening. Obviously taking out your anger on an animal is generally what leads into bigger, badder things.

------

Source:
Imgur post. Cannot post for obvious rule restriction reasons.

Your thoughts?
I could use something to eat.
i am ossan

I'm really, really hungry.

Ffeion
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Name: Ffeion, Red

Re: gopher tortoise burned and smashed

Post by Ffeion » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:03 pm

Too many events like this have been popping up recently, then again maybe we just see them more because of technology, which can be both a good and bad thing.

I hope they do get trialed as adults, but I also hope they both receive the psychological help they need, because wanting to hurt something for no other reason than, "I'm bored." isn't really a good thing, but acting out on this want is where these girls crossed the line. I'm glad they were stupid enough to record it and upload it on the internet, so it can be used against them.
What I worry about is people seeing this and deciding to do the same, to get attention and "fame".

Endangered or not, animals should not be treated like this.
When there is nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.
Icon (C) Riceboy
BITE☆クラブ

pickledham
Pup
Pup

Post by pickledham » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:15 pm

This is pathetic and downright horrible. No creature should be treated like this, period--it's blatant torture and shouldn't be called anything else. I watched the video and I was absolutely mortified by the amount of cruelty the group of girls unleashed upon this poor creature (rest in peace, little guy. I mourn for you). The obviously weren't just "bored"; rather they wanted attention. These girls are bloodthirsty, mentally unstable, and just generally ignorant to commit a crime and then film it. They definitely got what they deserved, and I hope they are never allowed to do this to any being ever again. I am so angered by this senseless killing that I am shaking. Murder a tortoise one day, target a man the next!
----------------------
trouble is a friend of mine

trolling existence since 1st millennium BC

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Riceboy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:15 pm

NecroDancer wrote:Too many events like this have been popping up recently, then again maybe we just see them more because of technology, which can be both a good and bad thing.

Definitely. It's nice to get it out there for people to see and do something about it. That, I agree with completely.
NecroDancer wrote:I hope they do get trialed as adults, but I also hope they both receive the psychological help they need, because wanting to hurt something for no other reason than, "I'm bored." isn't really a good thing, but acting out on this want is where these girls crossed the line. I'm glad they were stupid enough to record it and upload it on the internet, so it can be used against them.
What I worry about is people seeing this and deciding to do the same, to get attention and "fame".
I do believe they are getting trialed as adults, and if not they need to be.
They definitely need help, first of all. As I mentioned, acts of violence like this, even if it's to the smallest animals, usually means something worse is wrong. For example, a kid torturing ants could mean they're bullied. Taking out your anger or built up emotional problems on a living creature is NEVER a good thing, and you should be tested if you even consider it.
While I am happy they uploaded it on the internet, I get your concern for if others will do it for "fame," which a lot of people are stupid enough to CONSIDER. But I'd much rather them get publicly shamed on the social media sites they worship so much if anything.
NecroDancer wrote:Endangered or not, animals should not be treated like this.

Precisely.
pickledham wrote:This is pathetic and downright horrible. No creature should be treated like this, period--it's blatant torture and shouldn't be called anything else. I watched the video and I was absolutely mortified by the amount of cruelty the group of girls unleashed upon this poor creature (rest in peace, little guy. I mourn for you). The obviously weren't just "bored"; rather they wanted attention. These girls are bloodthirsty, mentally unstable, and just generally ignorant to commit a crime and then film it. They definitely got what they deserved, and I hope they are never allowed to do this to any being ever again. I am so angered by this senseless killing that I am shaking. Murder a tortoise one day, target a man the next!

This exactly. And to the last part: exactly. That's what concerns me so much. I'm shaking, myself. I love tortoises, and not only that but it's such a harmless creature, and their attitude towards it is nothing less than
absolutely sickening. I am glad it got out so fast, and I hope to hear the poor little guy got the justice he deserves.
i am ossan

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:43 am

This is just sickening that someone would treat a creature like this. It was not to get food, not to use any part of it, it was just for pure fun and entertainment. Who would find this entertaining, anyway? Its sick and disgusting.
pickledham wrote:I am so angered by this senseless killing that I am shaking. Murder a tortoise one day, target a man the next!
This. This so much. People who have backgrounds of abuse towards animals are more likely to kill a human one day.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

av/sig : lupe

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Riceboy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:49 am

river6 wrote:People who have backgrounds of abuse towards animals are more likely to kill a human one day.

Precisely. The fact they try to justify it with saying "Well at least it wasn't a human!" does not make it any where close to better. It honestly concerns me even further.

The torture they put on that poor animal was sadistic. There is nothing less than horribly wrong with them.
i am ossan

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:55 am

There are obviously absolutely no excuses whatsoever to torture a defenceless and perfectly harmless creature... those that think it's okay to do that are evidently sick in the head. I understand hunting to provide food and materials (most are humane with a relatively quick and painless process) or to control population, but this... this is far worse.

The fact that they went so far as to setting it alight
even when it retreated or attempted to flee and proceeded to destroying its shell? Such a pathetic and disgraceful thing to do. I sincerely hope they are ruled as being guilty. They certainly deserve whatever justice is coming their way for killing a protected species.

As NecroDancer said, this definitely seems to be on the rise; some time ago I saw a post on Facebook regarding some men who stole and tortured a pet rabbit to its death. It's very concerning and sickening to know that there are people in this world who do this for fun. It's good to know they are being put on trial, but it just doesn't justify their actions.
Randoven wrote:Obviously taking out your anger on an animal is generally what leads into bigger, badder things.
Exactly. To vent frustration at something that can't defend itself... those girls live very shallow lives to have done what they did. I'm stunned that they posted a video. I'm just glad that footage was used as evidence and reported to the proper authorities before it got deleted, but even so... there is no doubt that they are capable of doing it again. If not to another creature, to a fellow human being.
Nothing interesting happens.

[
XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

pickledham
Pup
Pup

Post by pickledham » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:47 pm

It's even more gruesome and horrific once you watch the video... Most of you probably don't want to find it; I was just too curious not to. The tortoise was absolutely terrified. It broke my heart, to the point of tears. My only regret was not being able to stop this from happening before it was too late. That poor (and beautiful) creature didn't deserve to die at their hands. I'm glad they're getting the help they need. I was appalled at their general negativity toward the tortoise--at some point they even apologized for not being able to keep the tortoise on fire--and the enjoyment they got from abusing it. I hope they are reminded of this when they get "bored" and want to kill another living thing for attention.
Animal cruelty (and other crimes) probably seems to be on the rise due to the easy access to the Internet and social networking. It is both a good and bad thing, in my opinion. I think technology can motivate people to commit crimes, but it's also a great way to find the people responsible and get the justice they deserve. However, I'm sure a great deal of animal abuse still happens out of the media's eye. These girls were just frankly ignorant and attention-seeking, and allowed themselves to be caught.
This whole scenario reminds me of two things actually. A boy at my former school who stabbed a frog through the stomach with a stick (the school handled it) and one other guy. He took a stone and threw it at a seagull's head, which gave it obvious brain damage. It couldn't fly, or hold its head up straight. He then proceeded to try to stomp the bird to death, which failed, so he then buried it under the sand. They dug it up and it was STILL half-alive, so he finally decided to just snap its neck. The whole ordeal made me sick, and in both occurrences the boys found pleasure in killing a defenseless creature.
----------------------
trouble is a friend of mine

trolling existence since 1st millennium BC

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Riceboy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:54 pm

The video is horrid. I was enraged when even hearing about it, but hearing the tones of their voices and their attitude toward the situation, the creature's reaction and need to get away, is nothing less than sure signs of people that could/can be dangerous to more than just a turtle. While yes, I am glad it is not a human, that does not make their actions ANYWHERE justified. The fact that the poor creature tried to run away, as well, and they took it upon themselves to make sure it suffered all the way to its death...
What compels people to harm generally harmless creatures just because of their own personal issues is the real problem. While the father of the main girl claims he did not raise his daughter that way, it still greatly concerns me to be reminded that there are many people out there who do this very often. Even to simpler organisms from ants to lizards to birds. Their excuse is usually something along the lines of "I just felt like doing it" or "I was bored" or the worst one "
it's just a stupid bird" and beyond are sure signs that something is not right with them. You should raise your child to find something productive to do, and to convey emotions in ways that don't involve hurting themselves or others. The "other" in this case being that poor tortoise.

On the tiny side note of your stories at the bottom of your post, pickledham, I have seen and lived through similar experiences. In all cases have I either contacted authorities or made sure the person was dealt with. It's actions like that in which can slowly but HOPEFULLY AND POSSIBLY better how people take out their anger and issues. What is sad is that most of the time, it doesn't. Since they can't get away with actually taking it out on another human being, an animal is usually victimized because unless people make a lot of hype over it, it is overlooked. :/
i am ossan

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:48 am

NecroDancer wrote:Too many events like this have been popping up recently, then again maybe we just see them more because of technology, which can be both a good and bad thing.

I hope they do get trialed as adults, but I also hope they both receive the psychological help they need, because wanting to hurt something for no other reason than, "I'm bored." isn't really a good thing, but acting out on this want is where these girls crossed the line. I'm glad they were stupid enough to record it and upload it on the internet, so it can be used against them.

Endangered or not, animals should not be treated like this.
  • Well said, Necro.

I hope that the entire experience will stay with them for the rest of their lives, and scare them from doing such a thing in the future. Sometimes the only way to learn something is by making the mistake first.

And thanks for not posting a link Randoven, and providing ample warning!

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:22 pm

Justice!
http://members.jacksonville.com/news/cr ... t-national

In case any of you haven't seen this yet.
freelance artist/illustrator // biology student and wildlife enthusiast // sometimes i draw things for WQ

[instagram] [facebook] [twitter] [prints]
[click here to tell me what to draw]

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:32 pm

Good. I'm glad they got what they deserved. This was truely horrible.

I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

av/sig : lupe

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Dusk

Post by duskypack » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:05 pm

That deeply disturbs me, and I hope that teens and children alike while learn not to torture animals. Oh my, this is a little much...

I'm glad I didn't watch the video, the description alone horrifies me.
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
(from the third Hobbit movie)
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

IceaPlayzPC
Name: Icea.

Post by IceaPlayzPC » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:39 am

Well, THAT was disturbing to read on the website that Jewelz posted he link to, my heart skipped a few beats when I got to the part where it talks about them crushing the poor animal :'C

I may not be a fan of tortoises, but this is outrageous! I would never do something like this to an animal, especially if I am "just bored" >;'C

and if I saw this myself this is what I would actually do:

I would record it and say that I found these people torturing an animal, call the police, if they got away before the police got there I would show them the video for proof.

that's what i'd do...
|•——————)(——————•|
This is where the story ends,
Are we just beginning?
|•——————)(——————•|
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
My fate it rains, it rains like cinders
(`°•.(`°•.••••The cadent drums, the war it comes ••••.•°`).•°`)
Growing thunder, terror, wonder
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
Av-LupinzPack + Bottom Sig-Black Burn, Top Sig - Icea

_Nimbus_
Pup
Pup

Post by _Nimbus_ » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:59 pm

This makes me want to vomit
you KILL SOMETHING BECAUSE YOU'RE BORED?!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They killed an endangered species BUT THEY RECORDED IT?

The graphic videos shows two Orange Park girls burning a small gopher tortoise, then laughing and cursing as they throw it down the street. The tortoise is doused with alcohol and lit as it crawls in circles through the flames. The tortoise tries to flee after it is doused again.

“Burn baby, burn baby,” one girl says as they light the tortoise on fire. “Now you are scared of us, huh?”

Laughing? MURDER IS NOT FUNNY
If you're a pyromaniac burn a leaf or something
Moral: They are Not human
Note:Avoid caps lock of doom.
Shh, shh, do you hear that? Those are the winds of change.

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”