Moose

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

User avatar
wolf567
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 2779
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:57 am
Gender: Male
Location: England, United Kingdom

Moose

Post by wolf567 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:35 am

Well with moose soon to be in WolfQuest I thought it was an appropriate time to make a topic all about moose!

Has anyone ever been lucky enough to see moose - in the wild or in a zoo/wildlife park?

Feel free to share any facts about moose. Here is some information about moose:
National Park Service Website wrote:Quick Facts

Number in Yellowstone
*Fewer than 200
*Population has declined in last 40 years due to loss of old growth forests surrounding the park, hunting outside the park, burning of habitat, and predators.

Where to See
*Marshy areas of meadows, lake shores, and along rivers.

Behavior and Size
*Adult male (bull) weighs close to 1,000 pounds; female (cow) weighs up to 900 pounds; 5½ to 7½ feet at the shoulder. Young weigh 25–35 pounds at birth.
*Usually alone or in small family groups.
*Mating season peaks in late September and early October; one or two calves born in late May or June.
*Lives up to 20 years.
Source: https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/moose.htm
More Info: https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/mooseinfo.htm
Inside Yellowstone: Moose Video https://www.nps.gov/media/video/view.ht ... CCF6E7048C
Wolf567 / Blaze

Avatar By: Rikkuzilla

Maertice
Guest
Guest

Re: Moose

Post by Maertice » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:38 am

Good to know. Thanks for postin'!

User avatar
Nor-easter Forecast
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 9:16 am
Gender: Female
Location: Southwestern USA

Re: Moose

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:44 pm

Very cool, thanks for sharing. I didn't know that moose sometimes have two calves, that's a bit surprising.

I've been fortunate enough to see two wild moose during my visit to Yellowstone. I saw an adult female and a juvenile male. It's incredible how big these creatures are!

Thanks again for posting all this info!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

User avatar
Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 1842
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:39 pm
Location: australia
Contact:

Re: Moose

Post by Sambhur » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:23 am

I haven't seen a moose in person yet since I live in Australia but I really want to. I'm kind of scared of / in awe of them so I'd absolutely love to see one one day - preferably with a fence separating us hahah. Thanks for those quick facts!
freelance artist/illustrator // biology student and wildlife enthusiast // sometimes i draw things for WQ

[instagram] [facebook] [twitter] [prints]
[click here to tell me what to draw]
Avatar by Sambhur

User avatar
D0m
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:14 am
Name: Dominik
Gender: Male
Location: Hell

Re: Moose

Post by D0m » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:37 pm

These are some really interesting facts about moose and it really makes me want to see some. We don't have any over here, and I've never seen one in captivity -- although I rarely visit zoos or wildlife parks -- but I've always wanted to see one. But thanks for these facts!
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

User avatar
Writers Block
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2327
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:00 pm
Name: Mika, Lynx
Gender: Female

Re: Moose

Post by Writers Block » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:29 pm

Moose kind of terrify me, to be honest. I keep thinking that they're basically deer, but then I see pictures of them and just-- NOPE. They're really big and I would NOT want to mess with one.

Isn't that one character from Supernatural a moose or something? I don't watch the show but his name kept popping up when I was googling images of moose just now.
we are not history yet.
we are happening now.
how miraculous is that?
avvie©FuzzyDesertPaw
quote©wtnv

User avatar
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:32 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Eduweb world headquarters
Contact:

Re: Moose

Post by Pepper » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:02 pm

Moose! Thanks for starting this forum topic.

WolfQuest's December Giveaway Contest topic was ...wait for it...MOOSE! To enter, people sent in three interesting facts about moose. I have been compiling some of the highlights (we received over 150 moose facts!). Thank you to everyone who participated in the contest and provided this great info about our newest WQ residents.

For your edification and aMOOSEment, here are:

Interesting Facts About Moose

General Moose Facts
Scientific name: Alces alces

The word North American name 'moose' comes from the native North American Algonquian word that means 'twig eater' (in Europe, moose are called elk).

Moose lifespan is 12- 25 years.

According to an Algonquian belief, you could have a long life if you dream of moose.

The plural of moose is moose.

Moose are the largest members of the deer family and are among the largest mammals in the Northern Hemisphere.

Moose are solitary and do not live in herds.

Moose populations in the United States: Alaska 175,000; Maine 30,000; Wyoming 15,000; Minnesota 10,000.

Moose mating season is in October–September

Moose Anatomy
Moose hair is hollow! This helps keep them warm in the winter. It also makes it hard to dive underwater.

Moose can close their nostrils for underwater eating.

The flap on their neck is called a bell and nobody is really sure about its purpose

Moose hooves are large and wide, acting like snowshoes to support the heavy animals in snow, mud or marshy ground.

The hump on the moose’s is made of massive shoulder muscles.

The long legs of moose allow them to travel through deep snow and even swim in deep water. They also use their legs to kick predators or maneuver over obstacles.

Only male moose grow antlers, bigger each year, and they use them to fight. Females are impressed by big antlers as they are a sign of the good health of a male in its prime.

Antlers can measure up 6 feet (1.8 meters) and may weigh 40-50 pounds (18-22 kg).

Male moose lose their antlers every winter and grow new ones the following spring. Moose antlers are the fastest growing tissue in any mammals, growing bigger by a pound and an inch each day!

Moose Skills
Moose are excellent swimmers and can swim up to 6 miles an hour. They have also been known to swim without stopping at a stretch of 10 miles (16 km) and can remain submerged for up to 30 seconds.

Moose love water. It keeps them cool, offers a delicious salad bar, and keeps biting insects at bay. They can submerge to eat, closing their nostrils so water stays out.

Moose can run faster than you! They can run up to 35 mph (56 km/h) and trot steadily at 20 mph (32 km/h).

Moose's milk 3-4 times fatter than a domestic cow 's milk. It contains five times more protein.

Moose are nearsighted but to see well at close range they must roll their eyes forward. This is not due so much to poor vision as it is to eye placement. Because their eyes are set more to the sides of the head they have a rather large blind spot in front of them. (http://www.mooseworld.com/biologist.htm)

Moose also can’t see distant things well so they rely on their sense of smell and hearing.

Moose have an excellent sense of smell. Those big moose snouts are good for something!

Moose have great hearing. Their large ears rotate, giving them stereophonic hearing
A study has also found that their antlers' sound-gathering qualities boost their hearing by 19%.

Moose hate the heat. They prefer zones where the summer average is around 59ºF (15ºC) and does not exceed 80ºF (27ºC) for long. The reason for this temperature dependency: They cannot sweat and they produce additional heat by fermentation in their gut. (http://mooseworld.com/mooseman/index.htm)

On a warm winter day, moose may lay on their sides in the snow to cool down.

Moose Diet
Moose are herbivores so they eat only plants. They may eat as much as 50 to 60 pounds per day. They love willow and aspen the most. In the summer, they also eat lots of aquatic plants and in the winter they browse on bark and twigs.

Moose have digestive systems similar to domestic cattle. They are "ruminants" and have four parts to their stomachs. Following eating periods, they will rest and return partially digested food from their stomach to their mouths to "chew the cud" and more completely break down their food before swallowing it again.

Moose have no upper front teeth. This is handy for sucking up small aquatic plants while eating underwater.

Moose require an average of 9770 calories of food per day to maintain their body weight - that's around 5 times as much food as humans eat. They can store up to 100 pounds in their bellies!

Moose Babies
Moose calves can weigh 25 to 35 pounds at birth.

Twins are not uncommon, as long as a moose female is healthy.

Calves can run within a few days and swim well within two weeks.

Calves stay with their mothers for a year and are usually driven away to make room for the next one.

Bears and wolves are said to kill 75% of moose calves each year.

Threats to Moose
Human hunters and traffic are top ways for a moose to die.

Bears and wolves eat moose but an adult moose is a formidable opponent. Black bears and wolves are a big threat to moose calves.

Moose are affected by a life-threatening parasite is called brainworm which also infects white-tailed deer (but they are less susceptible than moose). Certain snails carry brainworm larvae (Parelaphostrongylus tenuis), and moose frequently ingest these small snails while foraging in warm, shallow water. Brain worms cause neurological damage that can be fatal to moose.

Global warming has led to increased tick populations which can infest a moose. This leads to weakness from blood loss. Moose also rub off their fur trying get rid of the ticks and these bald patches make it hard to get through the winter. Cold winters keep ticks in check.

Moose Trivia
A “moose test” is a car manufacturer’s test to see how well a car can avoid a suddenly appearing obstacle.

Moose are really bad to hit with your car and not just because they are huge. "The problem with elks is their proportions. They have very long legs, which means that in a frontal collision, you drive into the legs and the body falls onto the car. Given the weight of the animals this can wreck the vehicle and cause very serious injuries to drivers." (And to the moose, of course.) (http://www.spiegel.de/international/ger ... 53581.html)

It is said that a moose once swam from Sweden to Denmark. Unfortunately, after about a week it was hit by a train (or shot, depending on the story).

Moose are milked and this milk is sold and consumed by humans in places like Canada, Sweden and Russia. Moose milk is said to be good for treating stomach ulcers.

Moose in Europe are called elk.

There are more moose in Sweden per square kilometer than any other country. The population of the moose in Sweden is 300,000-400,000

You can ride moose! "Allegedly, the Swedes achieved some success and were able to train and ride moose. However, the moose’s vulnerability to livestock diseases, fear of gunfire, and tendency to terrify all horses in the vicinity meant the project was discontinued. In modern times, the Soviets experimented with war moose in the 1930s, but the animals were unprepared at the outbreak of the Winter War and never saw action." (http://listverse.com/2015/01/22/10-weir ... -military/)
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.

User avatar
Kamaal
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 am
Name: Kam
Gender: Female
Location: Wanna take a guess?

Re: Moose

Post by Kamaal » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:25 pm

Those are some very interesting facts about moose! I enjoyed reading through them - to be honest, I had no idea that moose could 'close their nostrils' haha.
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.
Avatar © LupinzPack

User avatar
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:32 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Eduweb world headquarters
Contact:

Re: Moose

Post by Pepper » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:32 pm

Kamaal wrote:Those are some very interesting facts about moose! I enjoyed reading through them - to be honest, I had no idea that moose could 'close their nostrils' haha.
Me either! I also didn't know you could ride them. I had never thought about drinking moose milk...
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.

User avatar
D0m
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:14 am
Name: Dominik
Gender: Male
Location: Hell

Re: Moose

Post by D0m » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:21 am

These are also really interesting facts. I enjoyed reading through these. Thanks for posting these up here!
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12931
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Moose

Post by Koa » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:56 am

Considering the damage moose do to wolves in WolfQuest, I wonder what their efficiency in war would have been like.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 3486
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:58 am
Name: Rowan
Gender: Male
Location: southern icefields

Re: Moose

Post by valkea » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:52 pm

Thanks for posting those, Pepper! I had no idea about a lot of them. I never would've thought about riding a moose... it honestly just seems like an unwise thing to attempt.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

_____________________

avatar - lupinzpack

User avatar
wolf567
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 2779
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:57 am
Gender: Male
Location: England, United Kingdom

Re: Moose

Post by wolf567 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:20 am

Thanks for sharing those facts Pepper! They are really interesting :moose:
Wolf567 / Blaze

Avatar By: Rikkuzilla

User avatar
paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 4420
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Moose

Post by paperpaws » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:25 am

Sambhur wrote:I haven't seen a moose in person yet since I live in Australia but I really want to. I'm kind of scared of / in awe of them so I'd absolutely love to see one one day - preferably with a fence separating us hahah. Thanks for those quick facts!
Took the words out of my mouth. Moose are pretty intimidating. I mean--
Pepper wrote:Antlers can measure up 6 feet (1.8 meters) and may weigh 40-50 pounds (18-22 kg).
nope nope nope

Kirave wrote:
Thanks for posting those, Pepper! I had no idea about a lot of them. I never would've thought about riding a moose... it honestly just seems like an unwise thing to attempt.
Hahaha, but imagine the possibilities! No-one would fear you if you were to ride one of those enormous creatures.


Thanks to all of you for sharing these facts, it's always nice to find out a bit more about WolfQuest's native animals.
wyrd bið ful aræd
traveling 03.08 - 18.08 - limited availability.
for questions and concerns, please reach out to another moderator.

User avatar
Kivia
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:10 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Moose

Post by Kivia » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:54 am

Holy facts, Batman. Thank you for the wealth of information, Pepper! And also for starting the topic, Blaze!

If I ever did a little bit of traveling, I could probably see a moose. But I feel like I'd find their sheer size daunting. Like I don't even mess with the deer here, especially while driving. I can't imagine coming around a curve and then "oh hey I'm a moose in the road, don't mind me I'll just annihilate your car if you hit me".

I feel like Isle Royale should be mentioned, being a pretty cool example of predator-prey dynamics involving moose and wolves. I haven't stayed updated on it in a long while, so I don't know the current situation or how both populations are doing.
EDIT: This looks like the most recent article posted on WQ about the matter. More so focuses on the wolf aspect of it, but considering both are not native, not sure why we'd continue to try and support both populations. But that's just my two-cents- perhaps that's more for that topic discussion.

Post Reply

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”