Your "Nature" Jobs?

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Rifka
Pup
Pup

Your "Nature" Jobs?

Post by Rifka » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:32 am

So I am currently in an environmental science major, and it's starting to get to the time where I look at internships and the like.

Without giving away too much personal info (which is against the rules, I think) what nature or wildlife oriented job do you have? What do you like and don't like about it? I need some ideas to get the ball rolling for research.
Beautiful avatar was drawn by Okami Shiranui/WolFanny!

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Re: Your "Nature" Jobs?

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:19 pm

I don't have a job, but I do volunteer at various places to gain experience so when I finally do get my BSc in Ecology, hopefully I'll have enough experience through volunteering.

I like hands on stuff - during the spring/summer I help survey frogs/toads through their calls, I monitor Eastern Bluebird nesting boxes and dispose of eggs of unwanted invasive species (like the house sparrow), I used to volunteer at a wildlife rehab center (raccoon poop is something I will never get out of my olfactory memory!). I know how to ID many flora and fauna species of my province.

Try looking at ministries or conservation authorities for jobs or volunteer work. Chances are that, since you're still a student, you'll most likely have to do an internship, volunteer work, or if you're lucky you can snag a student position for the spring/summer months. I would start looking now - where I live they have already started posting jobs for students in the life sciences.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Writers Block
Name: Mika, Lynx

Post by Writers Block » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:46 pm

You could try WWOOFing? It's an organization (world wide opportunities on organic farms) where you can hook up with farmers and live on the farm for free in return for working on the farm. I'm doing it right now and it's pretty cool! I'm working on a goat farm and spend all day taking care of the goats, and after I've been here for a bit longer I'll probably be able to help make soap and yogurt and stuff.

As the same suggests it's mostly farming but there might be a few more environ/life science-y stuff available if you poke around (I know I saw an opening available to take care of wolf dogs, for instance, so I'm sure stuff is available for rehabilitated wild animals or something)

You have to pay for access to the wwoof directory but pretty much everything else is free! It's a but of a long shot for what you probably have in mind but I thought it couldn't hurt to mention it.
we are not history yet.
we are happening now.
how miraculous is that?
avvie©mute
quote©wtnv

alethe
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:00 am

I volunteer at a bird of prey rehab facility that deals with rehab/release and education as well. It warms my heart to see birds get released, and also watch the little kids oggle at the hawk on my fist.
Except for the question "can I pet it?"
Please kid no, do you want your fingers to go missing?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Tue May 09, 2017 12:38 am

I volunteer at a society which reports wildlife sightings at a provincial park near where I live. It's a pretty casual gig, we essentially just send in reports of wildlife sightings or signs a few times a week. It helps the society keep the public updated about when migratory birds are coming in and stuff like that. But the biggest part of it is ensuring breeding animals or rare/endangered species aren't coming into contact with people.
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Tue May 09, 2017 9:22 am

roguemoon wrote:I volunteer at a society which reports wildlife sightings at a provincial park near where I live. It's a pretty casual gig, we essentially just send in reports of wildlife sightings or signs a few times a week. It helps the society keep the public updated about when migratory birds are coming in and stuff like that. But the biggest part of it is ensuring breeding animals or rare/endangered species aren't coming into contact with people.
That's pretty cool. Sort of reminds me of eBird where people post their recent bird sightings/lists all over the world. But that's more for birders trying to up their life lists, and when a rare bird is reported people will flock to said bird. =/ So I guess it's somewhat a reversal of what you guys do with the data you collect.

Speaking of migratory birds, I'm back out in the field again doing wood thrush and gray catbird nest surveys as my full time job. Not too much activity yet in terms of nests, but a lot of singers out there! Also I'm managing some old data sets when I find the time.
For volunteering I monitor an osprey nest and in about a month I'll probably be banding barn owls. I enjoy all birds, but long term I'm looking at raptors.

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”