Falconry -- Hunting With a Bird of Prey

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

DaniBeez

Re: Falconry -- Hunting With a Bird of Prey

Post by DaniBeez » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:07 am

That answered my question, thanks! I remembered you talking about releasing them, so that's what I wondered might be happening.

Over the summer, do you still fly him at all for exercise? Or is that not a thing.
_
__

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Ahh, I'm glad to hear you'll get to spend some more time with him despite the season being over. This whole thing seems to have gone by so fast, and he sounds like a pretty defining part of your life. It would be strange to have to let that go, although I understand that's inevitable.

If he happens to get his red tail before you release him, I'd love to see some pictures!
wyrd bið ful aræd
* inactive until further notice due to time and hardware limitations

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:51 pm

of course! y'all will get to see his lovely tail
he's also having a dentist appointment on sunday so I might post some behind the scenes beak trimming

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

av/sig : lupe

krispycat9
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Krispy

Post by krispycat9 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:31 pm

Ahh I see you pulled a Zelda reference there with the name ;). Falconry is always something I’ve been interested in and if I can find myself a sponsor it’d be a dream come true for me! Unfortunately the falconry club in my state is very small, so it’s going to be difficult to find one. Do you have any tips for getting a sponsor? Thank you for posting this, it’s really cool!

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:46 am

krispycat9 wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:31 pm
Ahh I see you pulled a Zelda reference there with the name ;). Falconry is always something I’ve been interested in and if I can find myself a sponsor it’d be a dream come true for me! Unfortunately the falconry club in my state is very small, so it’s going to be difficult to find one. Do you have any tips for getting a sponsor? Thank you for posting this, it’s really cool!

deeply sorry for not replying sooner! i mostly abandoned wq when i moved to college. i will try to keep up with my falconry threads though, for all you interested parties :>

the state club is the best place to start. most of the time they know who's looking for an apprentice. go to the state meets, if you can, go hunting with people. ask questions. get involved. if you're on facebook, some groups i recommend:
Falconry Hub (worldwide)
Texas Falconry Apprentices (texas based, but one of the bEST groups to join)
there is also an american falconry apprentices page, but i can't seem to find it quickly right now. there's quite a few others, search falconry and JOIN them! post there! ask questions! find people in your area. keep in mind, the nearest sponsor might be in the next state over (i'm closer to most new mexican falconers than i am to texas falconers)

if you don't have a facebook.... alas. if you're serious about finding a sponsor you need one. most falconers are older and still use facebook as primary social media, if they use it at all. my sponsor uses fb, but he's hardly ever on.

basically, people aren't going to come to you. you have to come to them, show them you're committed in learning the craft.

NOW THEN, as far as where i'm at.

i released rev shortly after the molt. Here he is sporting his red tail.

i trapped a female red tail i called jadzia. she was horrible. a real piece of work. her in all of her gross-ness

she was extremely violent and didn't want anything to do with me. eventually, i decided to free fly her. she didn't come back. disappointing, but sometimes these birds aren't meant for this. i know she's still out there. she was a survivor. massive female, 1300g off the trap. would try to kill the cat. tried to kill the dog. tried to kill the me.

i just applied for my general permit and will hopefully be upgraded in a few weeks. at that point i will set out to go find a kestrel. change it up a bit.

I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

av/sig : lupe

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:44 pm

Hopefully this thread is still active enough for me to learn a bit more.

I've always had a deep fascination with falconry. I've done a good bit of research but sadly have not had the luck of being able to get a hawk for myself. It was nice to see a couple websites I had visited on there.

I assume Revali has been gone for a little while, but he's amazing anyway!

As for the questions...

What birds of prey are you legally allowed to own and when? I've always been curious. I heard that you're able to start with either a red-tailed hawk or a kestrel as an apprentice, but I have heard conflicting information occasionally. I've also heard a couple things about Harris Hawks, but those were less often mentioned (I think one website mentioned those being potentially legal for apprentices soon, but it was fairly outdated and as far as I know one can't legally keep one until one is a general falconer, so maybe that law didn't get passed).

I've also heard conflicting information about a test you have to take to become an apprentice in the first place and having to score 80% to pass or something. Is this a qualification? It's been mentioned several times, but other times I've heard that you can just ask a sponsor to start training you. I assume it's the former, though.

How often should you go hunting with your bird?

What are the limitations of what a bird can hunt in regards to size? For instance, I would assume that a kestrel couldn't even try to go after a rabbit but a hawk could definitely hunt one.

Sorry, quite a few questions. If you're busy, there's no need to keep the thread alive for my sake. I felt a strong need to post here due to my obsession with the notion of falconry. Hopefully one day I'll be able to get my first hawk...

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”