Cana's rant and a few more answers

Archived news, updates and announcements.
WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Cana's rant and a few more answers

Post by WQ Coordinator » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi, all. Some of you have been patiently waiting for the release of the next episode, even encouraging others to be patient and stay positive. If you are one of those members, I would like to personally thank you. Creating a game with this small of a team and with this small of a budget definitely has its downfalls, and unfortunately one of those is that our estimates for when we'll get things done often need to be revised. Even large-scale games that cost $30+ often postpone releases. So even though we know this can be extremely frustrating (it has been for us as well!), we truly appreciate your patience and your support.

If anyone sees a question being asked that you know is answered in one of my or loboloco's posts, please help out the moderators and quote the answer (or direct the asker to the actual post) so moderators don't have to answer the same question again and again and again. Simply quoting a post made by an administrator or team member is not backseat moderating, and would allow the moderators to focus on questions that haven't been answered already.

Whew. Anyway, now that I've ranted a bit...

Because we obviously won't be releasing the game in November, as previously estimated, I figured we could at least announce a few things we do know, so you can stop asking these questions.
  • 1) We do not have a set release date. We will release the game when it is in a state we consider to be both playable and enjoyable. We'll remove as many bugs as time and finances allow before releasing it. If you'd like something more specific, I'd estimate that slough Creek may be released in mid to late December, preferably before December 24th. But again, this is an estimated time frame. Our plans may change based on things needed to be fixed.
    2) We are planning on sending out another newsletter after the release of the game. Sorry, we'd rather focus on fixing the game as quickly as possible than working on a Newsletter before the game is released. If I have time, I may post a small collection of screen shots so you have more to look at before the game is released and the next newsletter comes out.
    3) As soon as WolfQuest:Slough Creek is completed and released, we will post an announcement in this forum, as well as on the home page and download page. So you do not need to check your e-mail- just check this forum for new announcements. That's the best way to learn exactly what's going on with the game, straight from the people who are making it, plus you can see if any of your questions about the game have already been answered.
I hope that answers a few questions. Both the Development and Beta Tester Teams have been working hard on making this the best game it can be, so we really appreciate your support and patience.
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

-Larka-
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Re: Cana's rant and a few more answers

Post by -Larka- » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:15 pm

Thanks for posting this, Cana. ^^

I know that you guys are doing your best to create Slough Creek, and thanks for answering some of the most common questions. I wish you the best of luck with it, and I will wait as long as it takes for the game to be released, because I know that the end result will be brilliant. ;D

bex665
Yearling
Yearling

Post by bex665 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks for this Cana, it was very interesting.

Good luck to the team with making Slough Creek, it must be really hard to make a game and congratulations to you guys on getting this far, shouldn't be long now, even if its estimated mid-late Decmeber. :mrgreen:

tiny1111
Pup
Pup
Location: Howling at the edge of a snowy cliff with my pack. Or just on Wolfquest.

Post by tiny1111 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:29 pm

Thanks for putting that out there Cana! I can not wait until Slough Creek comes out!

Blue Da Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Sitting in Jaguara's Keep waiting for Hige's return.

Post by Blue Da Wolf » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:35 pm

Thanks for answering theses questions! I'm patient, i think i can wait longer, i think that you should spend all the time you need on it! (i do flash {in my spare time, which i have alot of} = And it's never good if you rush coz of others nagging/demanding) :mrgreen: so i want it to turn out awesome so take your time! LOLZ! Its not the end of the world if we all haz to wait a couple of weeks and whatnot! Good luck with the game!!! :mrgreen:

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:41 pm

I know you guys are spending a lot of time on this game and want to do the best on it so that we can throughly enjoy this wonderful game and learn from it as well. I'm pleased you are taking your time. I can already tell that this game is going to be fantastic and I'll be very excited when it comes out! :D
We are planning on sending out another newsletter after the release of the game. Sorry, we'd rather focus on fixing the game as quickly as possible than working on a Newsletter before the game is released. If I have time, I may post a small collection of screen shots so you have more to look at before the game is released and the next newsletter comes out.
That's a good idea, as I imagine it probably does take some time writing up the newsletter and thinking of what to put in it.

I think posting the final screenshots would be a great idea, as well. It'll give us a good look of what the finished game looks like, and insight on what the game currently has. =)

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:46 pm

I'd like to add something;

The time it takes to answer repeated questions takes away from our spare time for beta testing. So, in essence, the more questions are repeated, the longer the wait for the game's release might be because we will take longer to finish beta testing.

Just wanted to clear that up.

wolf567
Former WQ Moderator

Post by wolf567 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:51 pm

Thank you soooo much Cana for posting this!! I hope it helps.
SolitaryHowl wrote:I'd like to add something;

The time it takes to answer repeated questions takes away from our spare time for beta testing. So, in essence, the more questions are repeated, the longer the wait for the game's release might be because we will take longer to finish beta testing.

I want to give an example on this, over the weekend I have very little free time due to work. Over the weekend I have had no time what so ever to beta test, since all of it has been spent on here saying, sorry we cannot answer that, or we do not know an exact release date etc etc. Just thought I would add that example in.
Wolf567 / Blaze

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:55 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:I'd like to add something;

wolf567 wrote: I want to give an example on this, over the weekend I have very little free time due to work. Over the weekend I have had no time what so ever to beta test, since all of it has been spent on here saying, sorry we cannot answer that, or we do not know an exact release date etc etc. Just thought I would add that example in.

I too have seen a lot of repeated questions lately.
I wonder if we should make a huge question list with all their answers on one big topic? But then again there are already are good amounts of Slough Creek info topics and even the Q&A topic. Although, one big topic with a huge Q & A list would probably be easier for new users to access and get information more than it would if they tried to search around for things? Only a suggestion. xD

dwarfstar123
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by dwarfstar123 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:04 pm

Thank you for this. I understand why you cant release it now. Take as much time as you want. Again, THANK U FOR THE HEADS UP! :mrgreen:

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:27 pm

SnowRules wrote:I wonder if we should make a huge question list with all their answers on one big topic? But then again there are already are good amounts of Slough Creek info topics and even the Q&A topic. Although, one big topic with a huge Q & A list would probably be easier for new users to access and get information more than it would if they tried to search around for things? Only a suggestion. xD

As a matter of fact, I've been working on something like that; only a little scaled down.

Thank you for your rants Cana, I hope it helps calm things down a bit...

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:32 pm

Hoover wrote:
SnowRules wrote:I wonder if we should make a huge question list with all their answers on one big topic? But then again there are already are good amounts of Slough Creek info topics and even the Q&A topic. Although, one big topic with a huge Q & A list would probably be easier for new users to access and get information more than it would if they tried to search around for things? Only a suggestion. xD

As a matter of fact, I've been working on something like that; only a little scaled down.

You have? That's great! If you need some help, I think I may be able to help you with that list if you don't mind.

Hopefully users will take notice of this topic and not repeat anymore questions so thaat you guys can work on the beta testing.

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:37 pm

SnowRules wrote:
Hoover wrote:

You have? That's great! If you need some help, I think I may be able to help you with that list if you don't mind.

Hopefully users will take notice of this topic and not repeat anymore questions so thaat you guys can work on the beta testing.
Yeah, I have. And thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it. xD

I hope they do read it, but it least it is here for quoting too.

jadewolf246
Pup
Pup

Post by jadewolf246 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks for posting this it has been so frustating waiting for the game to come out. :D

I just have one question when you go to lamar overlook is the mountains and creek sort of a preview of Slough Creek ?

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:53 pm

To cana:Just out of curiosity,Is it possible for the team to allow the beta testers to tell some things about the features of the game?like,I don't know,maybe 70% of all features information could be allowed to be revealed by beta testers.It's just hard to see so many users suffering when beta testers say:we can't answer that, to 99% of all questions.I think the beta testers would appreciate it too,Especially because solitaryhowl is hinting that it is somewhat hard to keep so many secrets from everyone and that she can barely handle doing it, but is probably afraid you'll demote her or something if she tells us the answer to even one of our questions.

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”