WolfQuest Newsletter- October, 2010

Archived news, updates and announcements.
WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

WolfQuest Newsletter- October, 2010

Post by WQ Coordinator » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:51 pm

Well, since I posted the mini-newsletter long after all of the information was announced, I figured I'd give all you forum members a sneak peak as to what the next newsletter will be. It should be sent out sometime in the next three days. But in case you can't wait that long, here it is!

WolfQuest 2.5 Development has begun!

The first Development Meeting for WolfQuest Episode 2.5 has come and gone, and we’re on our way toward adding the cool new aspects of the game, selected from the 2.5 Design Contest. After meeting with the wolf experts and rest of the Development Team, we’re excited to give you a sneak peak of some of the things we discussed. Because WolfQuest is intended to be educational, we wanted to make the addition of weather and time to be as realistic as possible, and affect your game wolf the way a real wolf would be affected. But the hard part about that is that there really haven’t been many studies that determine if rain affects a wolf’s ability to smell, or how wind would affect hunting abilities. So while we still have many details to work out, we can tell you that the things we’re hoping to add include day and night, rain, and even possibly some early spring snow.

And just in case you’re curious, the Development Meeting with Exiah didn’t quite go as planned, but here’s a quick recap of her trip:
Exiah wrote:Me and mom woke up early and sleepily rode to the airport. For me, the excitement simply blotted out the sleepiness, but I don't think it was the same for my mom. After getting our room, we went to the Mall of America and ate a delicious meal before going back to the hotel. Four o'clock the next morning, I woke up feeling very, very sick, and we had to cancel the shuttle to the zoo. I laid in bed, feeling frustrated that I wouldn't be able to attend the meeting. But I eventually recovered, and Cana picked us up and brought us to the zoo shortly before it closed. It was a great trip through the zoo, though it is really big and we didn’t get to see everything. At the end of the day, I got a WolfQuest patch and t-shirt, and visited Underwater Adventures in the Mall of America.

After finally returning home two days later, I sat, very happily, in front of my long-missed laptop, with a long-missed kitty in my lap. I will admit that there were some bad parts in my little trip, but overall it was well worth it. I really enjoyed going there and I am thankful for being able to do it. Thanks for reading.

-Exiah
Live Wolf Q&A
Hey, all you wolf fanatics! Have you ever wanted to talk to an expert in the field of wolves and wolf research to find answers to all your wolf-related questions? Now's your chance! On the evening of Thursday, October 21st, Dr. Dan MacNulty, wolf biologist from the University of Minnesota (and Content Advisor on the WolfQuest Development Team), will be on the WolfQuest forums to answer your wolf questions in a live chat. Check out the announcement in the General Wolf Discussion forum (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 6#p1549396) for more details.

The Wild Wolf EdVenture- March 4-6, 2011
Join WQ Coordinator from the WolfQuest Development Team on this exciting adventure to see and learn more about the animal that inspired the WolfQuest game. Talk with a wolf Zookeeper at the Minnesota Zoo and see our captive Great Plains Grey and endangered Mexican Grey wolves. Then, head up to the International Wolf Center to howl for a wild wolf pack at night, hike to an abandoned wolf den, use radio telemetry to track collared wolves from an airplane, and more! All transportation, programs, lodging, and meals are covered in the cost; registered WolfQuest Community Forum Members receive a $25 discount! This program is geared toward adults, but minors ages 12 and up can participate with an adult. Visit the Wild Wolf EdVenture zoo webpage (http://www.mnzoo.org/education/educatio ... enture.asp) on or after Monday, October 11th for more details.

The long-awaited New WolfQuest T-shirt!
After many complications and delays, the new t-shirt featuring WolfQuest Community Member TimberTheDelta’s original designs will be available to purchase with a new color (black) and new sizes. Check out the WolfQuest store (https://www.nc.mnzoo.state.mn.us/NetCom ... &srcid=319) starting on Monday, October 11th to see the new design and place your order. Only a limited supply is available of the original WolfQuest t-shirt (with the WolfQuest logo on a khaki shirt) and will not be reprinted, so buy one now before they’re sold out. A WolfQuest shirt makes a great gift!

Whew! How's that for news? ;)

Edit: attached are (some really crummy) pictures of the new shirt... I'll leave these up here until I can get a better picture to put on the store page... my camera didn't like the contrast in color.
Attachments
shirt front.JPG
shirt front.JPG (21.77 KiB) Viewed 16109 times
shirt back.JPG
shirt back.JPG (21.3 KiB) Viewed 16096 times
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: WolfQuest Newsletter- October, 2010

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks for that, Cana!

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 pm

Nice job with the newsletter Cana! It's good to hear that Exiah enjoyed the trip though she was a bit sick. It's exciting to hear more about what is being implemented into WolfQuest 2.5, can't wait!
I will definitely try to be there when Dr. Dan MacNulty will be answering questions regarding wolves.
The Wild Wolf EdVenture sounds really neat, and so do the T-shirts.
Again, nice job with the newsletter. =3

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanks very much for the post of the new newsletter, Cana! Sounds like you got things going on a good track at the moment. And apart her unfortunate sickness, sounds like Exiah had a nice time ^^ Good luck with this Wolf Q&A, I might pop along and have a look through things. In addition, can't wait to see and purchase the new WolfQuest T-shirt!

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Well this is really interesting isn't it? The Live Wolf Q&A sounds magnification, and it seems like it'd be a lot of fun and a great learning experience. ^^
I agree with Silverhybrid about Exiah, sorry to hear that the meeting didn't go along quite as planned. But things do happen. ^^"
Thanks for another great newsletter update Cana!

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Thanks for posting the newsletter, Cana. I'll be sure to pop in to the live wolf Q&A, and Exiah, if you're reading this post, I'm sorry that you got sick during your trip. :)

portia
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by portia » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:44 pm

It's not good that Exiah got sick but it sounds like she still enjoyed herself which is all that counts:)
It's great to hear about what they are looking at implementing into the game, I really am excited to see how it goes.
I hope to be present for the Wolf Q&A too, though I might be at school due to time differences.
It's also good to hear about the shirts, thanks again Cana for the update^^

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:48 pm

Early spring snow? 8D

Ooooh. Thanks for posting Cana. :3

AWolfSpirit
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by AWolfSpirit » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks for posting it, I'm so excided for the newsletter! Wait... I just got the newsletter. Right as I was writting this.

It's great to hear all this news! I don't know where to start, so I'll just say thanks for posting this, Cana!

Cenetri
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Cenetri » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:16 pm

Wow, thanks for posting this newsletter, Cana! It's nice to hear all of this information. c:
I'm also happy to hear that
Exiah had a good time, but I do feel bad that she had to get a bit sick. But overall, getting to meet with you must have been fun - especially the zoo!
Referring about the live chat; I'll probably be there to check up on a few questions. It seems like a valuable bit of time. c;
Everything seems nice on the forums, and everywhere else; so all I may say, once again, is thanks for the post!
Last edited by Cenetri on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZeRivet
Former WQ Moderator

Post by ZeRivet » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks for posting this Cana it is very much appreciated! It's also good to know that Exiah had a wonderful time and I'm sure the parts of the Zoo she saw was simply amazing. As for the new shirts I'm still pretty excited to buy one..not to mention see the new design on Monday.

oxoDestinyoxo

Post by oxoDestinyoxo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:06 pm

Thanks for posting this Cana, you've already got me exited for, well everything on that matter! It's a little downing that I will be unable to buy the t-shirt because my parents are out of work, but everything else has got me jumping out of my seat in anticipation!

-x- Silvie -x-
Former WQ Moderator

Post by -x- Silvie -x- » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:13 pm

Hurray! Thanks for the update, Cana!
I sure hope 2.5 goes along well, and I'm really excited to hear more later! And sorry about your sickness, Exiah, but I'm glad you had fun anyway! =D
The Wolf Q&A sure will be exciting; I'll probably pop in for it!
And about the t-shirts; they sound great, although I probably won't be able to get one.
Well, I'm waiting eagerly for more news, so, good luck with 2.5 and everything! ^^

Kipcha28

Post by Kipcha28 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:07 pm

Wow, lots of news! I can't wait to see the new shirts, and I'll definitely have to think of questions for the chat. :D

shaze_eliv3557
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by shaze_eliv3557 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 pm

Well, I'm glad Exiah had a great time. Though sorry to hear about her sickness. D=

Any estimated time of arrival for the new WolfQuest? I absolutely CAN NOT wait! :twisted:

Love you guyss.<3

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”