Your ideas for 'resting' in the game

Archived news, updates and announcements.

Which option do you like best?

Option 1
10%
Option 2
12%
Option 3
52%
Option 4
5%
Option 5
9%
Option 6
7%
Option 7
5%
Option 8 (do not vote on this option until it is described in the first post)
0%
Option 9 (do not vote on this option until it is described in the first post)
No votes
Option 10 (do not vote on this option until it is described in the first post)
0%

Total votes: 430

chickiefoo
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Your ideas for 'resting' in the game

Post by chickiefoo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:53 am

Great idea with the whole sleeping to skip some of the time. Its more realistic 'cause wolves sleep most of the time anyways. Well thats what I've heard anyways.

And back on topic I guess... I'm rooting for option three, it seems the simplist to me.

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:21 pm

I actually chose an idea that wasn't my own! And I'm still open to adding more options if anyone can think of any that might work better than the five already suggested.

I think it really comes down to three things:
  • 1) if you want to be able to choose to sit with the press of a button,
    2) if you want sleeping to be separate from laying down, and
    3) if you want sitting to be separate from laying down.
I do also want to say that if one option wins, we're not guaranteeing that'll be the way it'll be in the game. Mostly because we haven't tried programming it yet, so something may not work the way we expect it to, and partially because a lot of voting happened before all the options were described. That's why your comments are just as important as your voting- if you're convincing as to why one option is better than another (and it doesn't have to have the most votes, but it certainly can't have the least), we may end up trying that suggestion first. The poll is more of a general overview rather than an end-all decision.
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

Sirius Black
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Sirius Black » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:36 pm

i have a idea for weather and time: in multiplayer, the server host could select: A)time of the day. B)after selecting the time, the host could choose if it will be snowing, raining, etc... the host could select that all on a pop-up screen. how about that?
Last edited by Sirius Black on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:45 pm

Okay; I voted for option 5. I just think it makes more sense to have a separate button for sleeping 'z'

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:18 pm

I voted #5. :3

It seems like the most logical and most useful one to me, because while all three are related to resting, sleeping until the day passes and sitting/laying down are, in a way, much different in terms of making time go by compared to just resting/stamina.

In a way I always viewed that it would be a little different from #5, because I imagined that if you were to press one of the other control keys, such as K, H, the arrow keys, or W, S, D, or A [all but "C", F1, and Esc basically], your wolf would automatically move out of the sleeping/sitting animation and start acting out what the other buttons would trigger.

:U but that's me wanting to be fast acting. I actually like #5 better than what I thought originally.

Kristen_325
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Kristen_325 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:56 pm

All options are really great sounding, I'm glad we get some sort of say in the options, and thanks for working so hard. :D

-Foxpelt-
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by -Foxpelt- » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:59 pm

Wow I'm so excited for the game!!! Thank you very much, putting hard efforts for the game!

P.S. I picked option 3. It's much easier in my opinion! (my first post :D)

icefire01
Pup
Pup
Location: A streak of white zooms past you and disappears into the night...

Post by icefire01 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Option 2:
The same as option 1, except a separate button (like 'r' for 'rest') is pressed for controlling the sitting down animation, rather than only being able to sit when you haven't moved for a little while. If you press 'r' again, your wolf will stand up. This key (and action) remains the same for both single and multiplayer.

That one sounds good to me! When is the next newsletter? I can't wait till' I can see it!

EDIT:oops, i meant idea 3
Last edited by Masika on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding contents from double post. It would be great to use the edit feature if you have anything to add on, cheers :)

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:28 pm

option 3, with one change: If you wanted to stand up from a sitting position, you could press the 't' key to do so.

Kipcha28

Post by Kipcha28 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:30 am

Once sitting, would we be able to just get up by taking a step? Laying, I see how our wolf couldn't just spring into action, but sitting is a bit different. That will decide where my vote falls... I like option 5 best so far, having the sleeping and sitting/laying button separate.

If we are not able to have our wolf stand by taking a step - the only thing we could do from sitting is lay down and then stand again - I propose that option 6 be the same as five, except having a separate sitting button as well, and you'd also be able to lay down from the sitting position by pressing the laying-down button (instead of being limited to just sitting and then having to stand before doing anything).

Another question: will our stamina recover faster when sitting?

Storm Breaker
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Storm Breaker » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:32 pm

So far, I voted for option 5. it's simple and I like the idea of a separate key for sleeping to allow time to pass.

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:35 pm

I've voted for option #5.
Seems a good thing to program for the version 2.5 ^-^
Kipcha28 wrote: Another question: will our stamina recover faster when sitting?
I think in the October Newsletter, it stated that it would recover your wolf's stamina(?).

-x- Silvie -x-
Former WQ Moderator

Post by -x- Silvie -x- » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:32 pm

I voted for #3 as it seems closest to what I dreamed it would be like. It also seems the most realistic and natural movement, easy enough to remember and operate fluidly while still keeping things understandable.

Well, I can say surely enough, it sure will be interesting to see WolfQuest wolves howling in other positions as well. ^^

blackrose123
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by blackrose123 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:57 pm

It seems cool that we migt be able to lay down or sit (just at the press of z) but i was honestly wondering if you ever thought of making them bleed? as you know when we hunt the elk is bitten. i was honestly shocked when i noticed they didnt bleed (it took me a while). have you ever thought of adding it or is it just my stupid dumb computer not working again?

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:45 pm

BooboosPiggy wrote:

Well, I can say surely enough, it sure will be interesting to see WolfQuest wolves howling in other positions as well. ^^
Where did you hear that?
blackrose123 wrote:It seems cool that we migt be able to lay down or sit (just at the press of z) but i was honestly wondering if you ever thought of making them bleed? as you know when we hunt the elk is bitten. i was honestly shocked when i noticed they didnt bleed (it took me a while). have you ever thought of adding it or is it just my stupid wonderful computer not working again?
Blood will probably not be added to the game; considering it is a game aimed for younger children.

Return to “WolfQuest News and Announcements Archive”