WolfQuest Newsletter, January 2011

Archived news, updates and announcements.
WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

WolfQuest Newsletter, January 2011

Post by WQ Coordinator » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:13 am

Welcome to the first WolfQuest Newsletter of 2011- we have a lot to share! Included are some important announcements about game rules, as well as updates about Episode 2.5, a fundraising contest, and a live wolf Q&A session. Thanks for reading!

Multiplayer Game Rules
We are well aware that while the basic rules of multiplayer games (no swearing, sex, etc.) should be relatively clear, the specifics of what is and isn’t allowed on multiplayer games has, in the past, been a little fuzzy. So to make things more clear, we set up a new FAQ topic specifically listing the multiplayer game rules, and also hope to put these rules directly into the next game release, Episode 2.5. To see the full list of rules, go here (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=44211). Anyone who chooses not to follow any of these rules may be warned or permanently banned from WolfQuest. Below are some rules we’ve had problems with recently:
What is allowed: partners/pairs/friends (not mates) leading a pack.
This has been stressed in other newsletters, but we wanted to clarify yet again, since it’s still an issue. Yes, the first mission in the single player version of the game (and a real life mission for wolves) is to find a mate, so we can completely understand why people would want to try to find a mate in multiplayer as well. The difference, however, is that a computer version of a mate is completely safe, whereas playing with another live human being sometimes is not, and we can only do so much word filtering to try to prevent inappropriate mating-related behavior. If ‘partners’ becomes too gender-focused, we’ll have to remove that as well, but we’re hoping everyone can understand our reasoning and not take it to that point. So rather than focusing on trying to find a partner of a specific gender, if you want to roleplay a pack in an open multiplayer game, please do so without the gender focus so we don’t have to remove more words to help enforce this.
What is not allowed: trying to bypass the chat filter.
If you can’t say a word, either it hasn’t yet been suggested in the Chat Lexicon topic (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 45&start=0) or it’s not allowed because it’s inappropriate or has been used inappropriately in the past (including common words, like he, she, and mate). For information as to why some words have been removed from the chat filter, please visit the Chat Lexicon FAQ (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewforum.php?f=44).
What is not allowed: allowing only specific people in open games.
We understand that if a player crashes, it’s no fun if someone else joins and the original player can’t rejoin your game. But at the same time it’s extremely frustrating to enter an open game and immediately be asked to leave. Open games are intended to be just that, open, so if you want to save spots or play only with specific people, play in a private game. (On a side note, we do know many people have issues playing in private games- we’re hoping to find a solution for 2.5.)

And now that the not-so-fun stuff is out of the way…
Episode 2.5 Update
The Team has been working hard on implementing night and day and various forms of weather into the game, including rain and even an early spring snowfall. Check out the screenshots in the screenshotgallery (http://www.wolfquest.org/screenshot_gallery.php) to see some new additions to 2.5! This episode will definitely be released before the end of 2011; we’ll give you a more specific estimated release date after we’ve gotten farther along in the programming and have a better idea for how much time it will take to complete everything. A quick note: there is no Episode 3 in the works, and as stated in the video itself, ‘Midnight Pass’ was just a conglomeration of clips from various video games and is not a real game. As always, if you’d like to know more about WolfQuest game development, visit the WolfQuest News and Announcements (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewforum.php?f=31) and General WolfQuest Discussion (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewforum.php?f=3) forums. If it’s posted somewhere else on the internet, or not posted by a WolfQuest Team member, it’s not official information.

Episode 2.5 Fundraising Contest
How would you like to take part in trying to add something new into Episode 2.5? From Jan 1st until March 1st, 2011, if you make a donation or purchase something from the WolfQuest online store (https://www.nc.mnzoo.state.mn.us/NetCom ... &srcid=319), the profit from that purchase will go toward adding lightning into the game. If you make a donation, all of that money will be counted toward this fundraiser. If we raise $1,000 before March 1st, we will add lightning as an effect in the game. The total funds raised during the contest, a list of store items that help raise the most money, and a general discussion of this contest can be found here (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=45730).

The profit from donations and store items goes directly to WolfQuest development and maintenance, so whether you’re excited about lightning or not, please consider making a donation or purchasing a shirt or other store to help support WolfQuest.

New Live Wolf Q&A- Captive Wolves
In the last newsletter, we announced a live Q&A session on the forums with an expert in the field of wolf research, and you were all able to ask a question to have answered by this expert. We’d like to try this again with another wolf expert from the WolfQuest Team- Jackie Fallon (username clbaileyi). Jackie is an Animal Curator at the Endangered Wolf Center in Eureka, MO and has also had a huge role in the Mexican Grey Wolf Species Survival Plan. She’ll be on the forums on Friday, January 28th, from 2-3:30 (Central time) to answer any questions you may have relating to wolves in captivity. Go here (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 81&start=0) for the official topic.
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

Zethra

Re: WolfQuest Newsletter, January 2011

Post by Zethra » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:39 am

Wow, this is really exciting!
First, Great to see the explanation of why mate-related words are removed, and why sertan things are not allowed on the Multiplayer game. Hopefully, it'll stop some of the confusion some players may have on it. And, although I believe that's the intention, help stop the behavior(along with the addition of the MP rules of course).

Second, the screenshots looks beautiful Cana! I love the landscape.
Still curious on how the weather will affect the game too, and the addition of possibly adding Lightning too is even more exciting! The Fundrasing contest sounds really neat aswell.

For the Live Questions & Answers, hopefully I will be able to participate in it. ^^ I'm sure it'll be a nice experience, like the last one, and with the information on the Captive Wolves ect. I'll try to participate, I had a question prepared for that but ended up forgetting it. xD

ninnu
Pup
Pup

Post by ninnu » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:53 am

Thanks for posting this Cana. It's good that we know more about new episode now. Really beautiful screenshots! Now I can be more calm :)

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Atropine » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:07 am

The multiplayer rules are very clear and should help prevent any confusion; hopefully it will cut down on the number of innappropriate games. ^^

The screenshots look amazing, especially the snow and the night time feature looks really good. Thanks for all the work you're putting into episode 2.5 :D Also, I'm looking forward to the next wolf Q&A, the last one was really fun.

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:18 am

Thanks a lot for this newsletter Cana! It's great.

Ah, great that the rules are made very clear again. That's great to read.

The screenshots got my old excitement for WolfQuest 100% back. I remember how I felt now with the SC preview, hahah. It looks brilliant.

As for the Live Q&A, last time I couldn't pop in seeing the timezones, but I did enjoy reading the posts that were made. Am going to do that again.

Thanks again!

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:26 am

Wow, neat newsletter!

I made a suggestion on the Mod Chat topic already but here it is for everyone to see...

For the 'night' picture, I think it should be more dark. After all, the moon wouldn't provide THAT much light.

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:37 am

Actually, especially with the reflecting snow but also with a wolf's seeing ability, it's not too far off.

Hoping to also add a screenshot of the rainfall; I'll let you know when that's posted in the gallery.

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks for posting this newsletter, Cana! I haven't actually receieved it yet, so I'm glad that it was posted so I can see it quicker :3

I adore the screenshots, they look awesome! Thanks for sharing some of those with us. I look forward in seeing the rainfull screenshot. I think it's good that multiplayer is addressed in this, hopefully people will become more aware about the issues.

As for the Q&A, I do hope to possible try and participate!

oxoDestinyoxo

Post by oxoDestinyoxo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:40 am

Awesome newsletter!

It's nice to see the rules that were fuzzy to people be explained, and the consequences restated. Now we can hope people listen.

The screenshots of 2.5 look epic, the snow.. I.. I love it, it's so cool! If it were possible, some snow hang around on the tree branches?

Regarding the Q&A, I hope I can make it this time ^.^

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:08 am

We haven't started e-mailing it yet, but hope to start today. (It often takes 2 days to complete the mailing.) So consider this a sneak-peek for all you regular forum-goers. :)

Swifty
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Name: Wildtale

Post by Swifty » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:54 am

Wow! The screenshots were awesome! The newsletter is great Cana! I hope we can raise enough money for the lightning affects, and a screenshot of rain fall would be cool! :mrgreen:

Kipcha28

Post by Kipcha28 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:56 am

I love the screenshots! They're so pretty. I can't wait to see how everything will be implemented into the game.

It's good to see, too, that you clarified and explained the rules about Multiplayer more, as well; hopefully people will read that and listen.

Mejse99
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Mejse99 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Thank you for the newsletter Cana! :D

king12
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by king12 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:41 pm

Thank you Cana for posting this! :mrgreen: The screen shots are beautiful! I'm so excited for the next version!

Also, thanks for the multiplayer rules. I hope people follow them.

kd1997
Pup
Pup

Post by kd1997 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks for the post Cana :) I was excited to see the screenshots. The snow is amazing! Night looks awesome, it's so realistic with it being a little lighter than we could see in the dark since wolves can see in the dark better than us. It would be awesome to see a rainfall screenshot. I love it! Can't wait. Let's donate everyone to get that lightning affect! I'll try and buy something in the next few days. Thanks so much!

Return to “WolfQuest News and Announcements Archive”