Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Archived news, updates and announcements.
User avatar
yuli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Post by yuli » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:08 pm

Greetings
Hi, Guys.

Technical/Help
Press ''X'' to jump. (For jump is the x right? lol)

Exclamations
Yup!

User avatar
portia
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf
Posts: 1751
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:39 am
Gender: Female
Location: Waking up in ash and dust.

Re: Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Post by portia » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:37 am

Ooh, I think it's a good idea to have it as optional, that way it's at least easing people into the idea if it goes completely phrased chat in the future.
I would suggest adding comments or questions to do with the weather in 2.5. As a general example perhaps something like "Yay, it's snowing!" in the 'Exclamations' heading, or perhaps questions to do with the weather/time.

User avatar
icefire01
Pup
Pup
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:23 am
Gender: Female
Location: A streak of white zooms past you and disappears into the night...

Re: Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Post by icefire01 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:14 am

I have some:

HUNTING:
let's get that one!
stalk it, then run!
lets work together!
Watch out!

GREETINGS:
Yo!
...
hi, ______

GENERAL QUESTIONS:
Can we hunt?
OK, what's your wolf's name?
What do you want to do?

EXCLAMATIONS:
Boo yah!
Yes!
It worked!
Good!
Awesome!

HUNTING/EATING
I'm hungry!
There's a carcass over here.
We got it!

ANIMALS:
Bird
Lone wolf
Fish(es)

PARTINGS:
Oops, i am over time! I'd better go.
Aww! gotta go.

User avatar
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter
Posts: 6264
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:56 am

I think Cana just wants us to shrink down the current list posted on the first post. I don't think she wants us to give anymore word suggestions.

User avatar
Cama
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:54 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Louisiana, U.S.A
Contact:

Re: Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Post by Cama » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 pm

I just want to give this one:

Greetings
Oh, hi!
SAVING SOTS! LEAVE!
Hi, username here!
Hi, and welcome to our rp!
Hi, and welcome to my rp! (this is diferent because it shows that only one person was in the game when a person entered the rp.)
iHola!
Hiya!

Hunting/Eating
Listen for ravens!
Use the scent vision!
After it!
Look for limping elk!
I can't find any weak elk!
I found a weak elk!
Seperate it from the herd!
Catch up to it!
Surround it!
Okay, I need some people behind some bushes.
I hide and ambush, you chase it to me!
I'll chase it to you, you hide and ambush!
It's almost dead! Keep biting!
Yes, it's down!
Eat up!
Leaders first!
Yum, this is good!
Nothing like Mother Nature's cooking!
My energy's almost gone! Someone help me find food!

Technical Questions
How do I change my settings?
How do I leave this game?
Username here, can you bow? You're glitching.
How do you turn time and weather off and on?
How do I stalk?

Technical Answers
Go to the menu and go to settings.
Press esc, then do what you need or want to do.
You hold down the shift key and walk forward.

Random things and quotes
The cow goes moo at midnight!
It's raining pie!
I like pie!
No, that is possible only in Soviet Russia!
Who wants icecream!?
NO! THE SUN! YOU'VE FIGURED OUT MY WEAKNESS! DARN YOU FIGARO! DARN YOU! NNOOOOOO!!! Bleg! XP
NO! NOT RAIN! NNOOOO!! I'M MEALTING! I'M MEALTING! WHAT A WOOOORRLLLD!!!
FEAR MY LAZUH! PEW! PEW! PEW! PEW! BWOOOOSSSHHH!!!

User avatar
Wolf of Twilight
Pup
Pup
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:28 am
Gender: Female
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Post by Wolf of Twilight » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:36 pm

I love this idea A LOT but how would we roleplay and say our wolf names?

User avatar
-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member
Posts: 3454
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:16 pm
Gender: Female
Location: UK, Suffolk, East Angila.

Re: Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:42 am

Wolf of Twilight wrote:I love this idea A LOT but how would we roleplay and say our wolf names?
Hmm.. Most likely the phrased chat would let you say your name if someone may ask, but I can't say anything about the Roleplay yet, since I don't want to give out wrong information. =3

User avatar
Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 7589
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:47 am
Gender: Female
Location: England, United Kingdom

Re: Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Post by Masika » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:39 pm

-x-Zaroque-x- wrote:
Wolf of Twilight wrote:I love this idea A LOT but how would we roleplay and say our wolf names?
Hmm.. Most likely the phrased chat would let you say your name if someone may ask, but I can't say anything about the Roleplay yet, since I don't want to give out wrong information. =3
Actually, I think it's rather likely that names won't be included for a number of reasons ;) This quote from the Chat Lexicon FAQ might actually be able to help explain why this may be the case:
We do not have people/wolf names in the lexicon mostly because there are far too many names and spelling of names to be able to add them all, partially because people should be addressing others by their usernames anyway (which you can say if they’re in your game), and partially because we do not want players exchanging personal information, especially since we have many young players. The only ‘names’ in the lexicon are words that are commonly used in the English language, like shadow, rose, etc.
Source: Why aren't names in the lexicon?: Chat Lexicon FAQ - http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=39804

User avatar
-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member
Posts: 3454
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:16 pm
Gender: Female
Location: UK, Suffolk, East Angila.

Re: Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:42 pm

Huzzah, as in names Silver, I meant as in saying our names like we have now, perhaps, Feather, Coal etc.

User avatar
NightlyH
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:24 pm
Gender: Agender
Location: Inside a computer generated world
Contact:

Re: Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Post by NightlyH » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:35 pm

Yea, I think what she means is our wolf name (like mine is Shadow) not our username. Because I think most of our wolf names are very simple...

User avatar
Wolf of Twilight
Pup
Pup
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:28 am
Gender: Female
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Post by Wolf of Twilight » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Cama wrote:I just want to give this one:

Greetings
Oh, hi!
SAVING SOTS! LEAVE!
...

Random things and quotes
The cow goes moo at midnight!
It's raining pie!
I like pie!
No, that is possible only in Soviet Russia!
Who wants icecream!?
NO! THE SUN! YOU'VE FIGURED OUT MY WEAKNESS! DARN YOU FIGARO! DARN YOU! NNOOOOOO!!! Bleg! XP
NO! NOT RAIN! NNOOOO!! I'M MEALTING! I'M MEALTING! WHAT A WOOOORRLLLD!!!
FEAR MY LAZUH! PEW! PEW! PEW! PEW! BWOOOOSSSHHH!!!

The Random things is.... wrong. I don't know it just wouldn't be in the chat system. And saving spots is against the rules and that phrase is a mean way to say it, anyway.

I wouldn't have fun in multiplayer if we couldn't roleplay by saying things like - howls along with the pack - or - growls at the strange wolves - maybe... I've got nothing. But we should think of a way to roleplay and still have the phrased chat system AND say our wolf names (obviously the names that are words in the English dictionary like SilverHybrid said.

DAKOTAGIRL
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:23 am

Re: Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Post by DAKOTAGIRL » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:04 pm

i think we should also have some mate options, like

"want to be my mate?"

or

"this is my mate"

because we will also need to describe ourselves we should also have...

"Male"
"Female"
"girl"
"Boy"

User avatar
Atropine
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:23 pm
Gender: Female
Location: District 12
Contact:

Re: Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Post by Atropine » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:14 pm

DAKOTAGIRL wrote:i think we should also have some mate options, like

"want to be my mate?"

or

"this is my mate"

because we will also need to describe ourselves we should also have...

"Male"
"Female"
"girl"
"Boy"
Well actually mate related behaviour isn't allowed on WolfQuest since it leads to inappropriate behaviour, so unfortunately I doubt that will be added to the phrased chat. Here's a few links explaining why those words have been taken out of the lexicon and why mating isn't allowed^^:

How do I get a mate in multiplayer?
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34861

Why have male/female & he/she been removed from the lexicon?
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=39802

User avatar
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter
Posts: 6264
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:35 pm

DAKOTAGIRL wrote:i think we should also have some mate options, like

"want to be my mate?"

or

"this is my mate"

because we will also need to describe ourselves we should also have...

"Male"
"Female"
"girl"
"Boy"
That will definitely NOT happen. The mate-related stuff (as well as the roleplay mating) is one of the main reasons why a phrased chat will be put into place as an option.

User avatar
Ratlover4194
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:11 pm
Gender: Female
Location: In the TARDIS, hangin' with the Doctor. >:3

Re: Episode 2.5 Update- Phrased chat option

Post by Ratlover4194 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:31 pm

I have a suggestion to make. I'm not sure if this has been suggested before in this topic, but I skimmed through and didn't see anything, so here goes...

I have been thinking for a while that there should be an unlimited lexicon option (at least in Private MP games as I know it would be abused in Open MP games). Since Private games are really for either personal friends (as in my case) or for forum-planned packs, it seems to me that abuse would be limited. And it would be easier for those who are young/can't spell as well because of a mental condition/have a different native language and cannot speak English as well. I have a personal friend that I occasionally play the game with, and he has some spelling difficulties. I know that it has always been very frustrating for him while playing the game (sometimes so much so that we just play as we talk on the phone) and I think sometimes he feels left out because it takes him so long sometimes to type a very short sentence. I know there are a lot of people who would really appreciate something that would give them this kind of freedom.

Yes, I know that the phrased chat would take this particular problem away, but it seems like it might be difficult to sift through all the options to get what you want. I know they will be sorted into groups but take something like this sentence... "Do you want to play?" Would that fit into the question or the social group? Or both? And plus, I think this would take away some of the enjoyment of the MP game. For Private games, I think players should be given more freedom for realistic roleplaying. I'm not saying I'm against the phrased chat option--I think it is an excellent idea for Open games-- but I do think this unlimited chat should be considered for Private games. :)

Thanks for reading that ultra-long post... :roll: XD

Locked

Return to “WolfQuest News and Announcements Archive”