Now Accepting Moderator Applications

Archived news, updates and announcements.
portia
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Re: Now Accepting Moderator Applications

Post by portia » Tue May 03, 2011 3:29 am

Well, I guess now's a time for patience as we wait to see who earned the honor of being a moderator on wq. Congratulations in advance to all those who become moderators!

Once again, best of luck to all~

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Tue May 03, 2011 5:00 am

sparky_wolf wrote:It is true, the moderators and Cana do have the torch while we stand in complete darkness. I think the team is starting to enjoy this, knowing something we really want to know and having the power to refuse or accept the applications.
^With the forum (and game) having so many members, I imagine it'll be like standing in a dark library -- each book a username with the person's 'records' -- in addition to holding a single torch; but for those select applicants alone, narrowing 100+ down to 3 or more would be a very tricky and hard decision... once-a-once again, good luck to all. 8)
All exagguration and imagination aside, Cana and the current decisive moderators will surely make a good choice, as they did last time (and the time before that, and the time before that, and the-- you see where I'm going with this. XD)

Koa wrote:Was that a Survivor reference?
Although, I may be the one with the torch, provided I have a Survivor buff. |D I kid.
No idea what Survivor is, to be honest; just trying to keep everyone entertained at the peak of the announcement. ;)

SpiritPelt

Post by SpiritPelt » Tue May 03, 2011 5:29 am

May 27th. We just have to be patient.

NewMooon
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by NewMooon » Tue May 03, 2011 6:53 am

I think WolfQuest is looking to a great future of moderators. I am very excited to see who makes it as moderators we are just counting down to the moment now. Even if you don't make it, You will have many more chances, and new great moderators to look up to! Good luck for everyone who applied, and Thanks to the WQ team for giving everyone the chance to apply. :D :wink:

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Tue May 03, 2011 10:42 am

Cenetri wrote:
jumpjump456 wrote:As Cana stated in the first post. ^^
Cana wrote:Your application answers, general posting behavior, and activity on the forums (not your number of posts or your age
Actually, I'm asking how they judge, not the criteria. I was aware of those specifics, but I was wondering how the judging went about, such as having a tally sheet, or scoring, etc. So, the question remains...
Get ready for a ramble...

It starts with the applications. I read through every application and categorize them, either by number (as I've done in the past- giving the applicants a score between 1-10) or by consideration (ex- no longer considered, maybe worth considering, definitely worth considering). It's a bit surprising to read through the applications- it can be obvious how much effort people put into their applications, and that gives me an idea for how much effort they may also put into moderating. In general, most people do their best on the applications, but that isn't always the case. (In other words, if you post 5-word responses for every question or if you don't follow the instructions for submitting your application, you won't be considered for a moderator position.) The applications are a great way to avoid only choosing new moderators who are popular or friends with current moderators- everyone has a fair chance.

After the applications are considered, we look at post history, activity, etc. No real ranking system or score sheet is used... we just share opinions, and moderators post 'proof' to back up their opinions (links to posts that are helpful, positive, negative, backseat moddish, etc.). While the number of posts isn't important, the quality of posts is. So, for example, if you're a new member or are using a new username without referencing your old one and haven't made many posts, it's not likely you'll be chosen because other than the application, we have no way of knowing how active, helpful, and positive you'll be. Or if you only post in Forum Games (as an example) and nowhere else, that also doesn't help convince us you're a good moderator candidate, even if you sent in a decent application.

So it really is what jumpjump quoted... everything is put into consideration with no specific scoring system- just opinions and proof from posts, and how confident the moderators and myself feel you'll be all of those things: active, helpful, and positive. Being a moderator isn't (or at least shouldn't be) about just locking topics and preventing spam... it's about customer service; making sure the forums run smoothly and being a resource for questions and issues. That's why those three things are so important, and are really stressed within the moderator expectations.

That was probably more than you wanted, but there you go regardless. ;)

I think we'll definitely have our decision before the 27th, but please do be patient. It'll take everyone a little while to compose their final opinions. And I don't think we'll have a problem with this, but I do feel it's worth noting- if you are reported (by a moderator or other community member) for attempting to convince or sway the opinion of a moderator or myself, you will no longer be considered as a final candidate for being a moderator. So please just be patient, positive, and be yourself. Thank you.
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

Toca_Master_14
Pup
Pup

Post by Toca_Master_14 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:48 am

Cana wrote:Your application answers, general posting behavior, and activity on the forums (not your number of posts or your age
[/quote]

Actually, I'm asking how they judge, not the criteria. I was aware of those specifics, but I was wondering how the judging went about, such as having a tally sheet, or scoring, etc. So, the question remains...[/quote]Get ready for a ramble...

It starts with the applications. I read through every application and categorize them, either by number (as I've done in the past- giving the applicants a score between 1-10) or by consideration (ex- no longer considered, maybe worth considering, definitely worth considering). It's a bit surprising to read through the applications- it can be obvious how much effort people put into their applications, and that gives me an idea for how much effort they may also put into moderating. In general, most people do their best on the applications, but that isn't always the case. (In other words, if you post 5-word responses for every question or if you don't follow the instructions for submitting your application, you won't be considered for a moderator position.) The applications are a great way to avoid only choosing new moderators who are popular or friends with current moderators- everyone has a fair chance.

After the applications are considered, we look at post history, activity, etc. No real ranking system or score sheet is used... we just share opinions, and moderators post 'proof' to back up their opinions (links to posts that are helpful, positive, negative, backseat moddish, etc.). While the number of posts isn't important, the quality of posts is. So, for example, if you're a new member or are using a new username without referencing your old one and haven't made many posts, it's not likely you'll be chosen because other than the application, we have no way of knowing how active, helpful, and positive you'll be. Or if you only post in Forum Games (as an example) and nowhere else, that also doesn't help convince us you're a good moderator candidate, even if you sent in a decent application.

So it really is what jumpjump quoted... everything is put into consideration with no specific scoring system- just opinions and proof from posts, and how confident the moderators and myself feel you'll be all of those things: active, helpful, and positive. Being a moderator isn't (or at least shouldn't be) about just locking topics and preventing spam... it's about customer service; making sure the forums run smoothly and being a resource for questions and issues. That's why those three things are so important, and are really stressed within the moderator expectations.

That was probably more than you wanted, but there you go regardless. ;)

I think we'll definitely have our decision before the 27th, but please do be patient. It'll take everyone a little while to compose their final opinions. And I don't think we'll have a problem with this, but I do feel it's worth noting- if you are reported (by a moderator or other community member) for attempting to convince or sway the opinion of a moderator or myself, you will no longer be considered as a final candidate for being a moderator. So please just be patient, positive, and be yourself. Thank you.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, Cana! It's quite interesting. :wink:

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Tue May 03, 2011 10:50 am

What an intricate system you have there, Cana.
To be honest, I didn't think it would be as complex... :o Proved me wrong. XD

Well, good luck to all applicants and also to the mods and Cana for finalizing their input on the applicants. 8)
Thanks for the update as well.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Tue May 03, 2011 10:52 am

That is a very organized, very interesting, way of 'sorting' the applications Cana.
I don't think it's to complicated either, as NAW stated, just very well organized.

Thanks for the update Cana, and good luck to everyone applying!

Moon-Light-Shadow

Post by Moon-Light-Shadow » Tue May 03, 2011 11:40 am

Zethra wrote:That is a very organized, very interesting, way of 'sorting' the applications Cana.
I don't think it's to complicated either, as NAW stated, just very well organized.

Thanks for the update Cana, and good luck to everyone applying!
I Agree, It is Intresting,

Good Luck!

Kestrelflight
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Kestrelflight » Tue May 03, 2011 11:42 am

Nice and complex way of sorting it out Cana ^^ Good luck to the people who applied, and best wishes to Cana and the moderators, I can already tell it's gonna be a tough decision.

-x- Silvie -x-
Former WQ Moderator

Post by -x- Silvie -x- » Tue May 03, 2011 11:50 am

Interesting methods, Cana. It's quite intriguing to know that, while we go on about our normal Community activities, you and the moderators are addressing the matter and evaluating who is responsible and ready enough to help care for the forums.

I'd like to wish a further good luck to all applicants, and the Team in choosing them; we are all confident that the new moderators will be just right. ;
)

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Tue May 03, 2011 12:00 pm

That's definitely an interesting but I'm sure very good way to sort out the applications Cana, thanks for sharing that with us ^^ It's nice to finally know how the new moderators will be chosen, I've been wondering that for a long time XD

As Zethra said, it isn't that complicated, but it is organized.

Skor
WQ Report Team Retiree
WQ Report Team Retiree

Post by Skor » Tue May 03, 2011 12:33 pm

Indeed, it is an interesting and organized method. Thanks for letting us know, Cana!
As excited as we all are, we just have to be patient for them to decide the best suited people for being Moderators. Of course, I'd be willing to bet that it's easier for me to say that than all of you who have submitted an application. You can feel the general excited-ness all around the forums, can't you?
Good luck (for the hundredth time,) to all who entered, and good luck to Cana and the team with deciding who will get the responsibilities of being a Mod.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Tue May 03, 2011 12:58 pm

Very organized way of sorting things Cana.^^ Thank you for sharing that information with us!

Good luck again to all who have sent in an application!

Klaabu789
Pup
Pup

Post by Klaabu789 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:41 pm

hi have a some problem anybody can help me?

HI! i have a question. I want a make a new account how i do that and can you delete my old account : Klaabu789 <<:(this are old account) and how i can do a new account?? :shock:
:? :lol:

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”