WolfQuest funding and the next episode

Archived news, updates and announcements.
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

WolfQuest funding and the next episode

Post by loboLoco » Thu May 29, 2008 10:53 am

Computer games take a lot of time and effort to develop. Most of the commercial games released in the past few years cost anywhere from $5 million to $40 million to develop. WolfQuest is a much smaller game, and has a much smaller budget--about $500,000. So if you're wondering why WolfQuest doesn't have all the features of the other games you play, you can find the answer in the difference between those numbers.

We're pleased with what we've managed to produce on that budget. Our master plan has always been to build on it with more episodes featuring all new content and gameplay. Unfortunately, we haven't yet raised the money for that plan, so we are narrowing our focus somewhat. We know that everyone wants pups, so we're thinking about a Spring episode with pups in the den. We estimate that this episode would require a budget of $100,000 - $200,000. Why so much? Just creating and animating a single 3D animal can cost over $10,000. Programming its artificial intelligence (AI) so it behaves realistically in different situations can cost even more. $100,000 is a lot of money by most standards, but not much in the world of game development, where even casual games like you find on Shockwave.com or Real Arcade have budgets close to or in that range.

We've thought about funding the next episode by charging $10 or $20 for it, but we feel strongly that WolfQuest should remain a free game, to reach as many people as we can. So that means we need to find funding up front, to pay for game development. So we're currently seeking that funding from several sources. If you want to support the game, we encourage you to buy buy WolfQuest T-shirts, or even donate money directly to the Minnesota Zoo Foundation, directed toward WolfQuest. We also encourage corporate sponsors to contact usabout supporting part or all of a game episode.

We'll update you on the plans for the next episode in September, when we hope to have enough funding in hand to begin development.

cheers,
Dave
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Midnight Snow
Former WQ Moderator

Re: WolfQuest funding and the next episode

Post by Midnight Snow » Thu May 29, 2008 11:23 am

loboLoco wrote:We've thought about funding the next episode by charging $10 or $20 for it, but we feel strongly that WolfQuest should remain a free game, to reach as many people as we can.
I know that the mentioned amount is not much money, but I do know that you would indeed lose several users simply because they, like me, cannot make online transactions regardless of if they want to do so or not. So I am really happy to hear that you (the team) still intend to make it a free game. Even though that means it will have less content and such.

-Midnight Snow
     You're not paranoid. You know you aren't. At least you weren't, until they started coming after you.

Aroma
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Aroma » Thu May 29, 2008 11:29 am

its good that you tell everyone that you guys need money. I would donate if I could, but we have pretty little money right now ,, :/

In the game you know me as Girl. Im a grey female pup who like RP-ing.
Girl is a proud pup of wolfartemis, also known as Artemis in game.
TWILIGHT <333
Pup in RainClan

Whitefang2331
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Whitefang2331 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:25 pm

Midnight Snow wrote:
loboLoco wrote:We've thought about funding the next episode by charging $10 or $20 for it, but we feel strongly that WolfQuest should remain a free game, to reach as many people as we can.
I know that the mentioned amount is not much money, but I do know that you would indeed lose several users simply because they, like me, cannot make online transactions regardless of if they want to do so or not. So I am really happy to hear that you (the team) still intend to make it a free game. Even though that means it will have less content and such.

-Midnight Snow
Yeah I think Midnight snow is right, you could lose several users if you put a fee for it. One of the cool things about wolf quest is that it has always been a free game. Im pretty impressed with the budget you are working on, considering the animations and graphics in the game. :) 8)
Proud female beta warrior of Undine Falls Pack!

(Avatar made by Banshee! Its MouseSky!)

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Thu May 29, 2008 2:12 pm

even if it becomes necessary to pay for it because of funding, I will still gladly do so!

I hope you guys manage to get enough money to make this game as fun and free as possible.
icon by Rottenrobbie

lovepink7392
Pup
Pup

Post by lovepink7392 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:25 pm

Blindseer wrote:even if it becomes necessary to pay for it because of funding, I will still gladly do so!

I hope you guys manage to get enough money to make this game as fun and free as possible.
i agree with blindseer. i wouldn't want to have to pay but if we had to i would definitely do so. thanks so much for all of your hard work :D
Delta female in the Rose Creek Pack
Delta female in the Untame Spirits pack

)........(\_
((...._/{ "-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( ( .;._\\

)........(\_
((...._/{ "-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( ( .;._\\

WolfWoman
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by WolfWoman » Thu May 29, 2008 4:46 pm

I am only 12 though, And i LOVE the Wolf Quest. And I Probably will stop playing If i have to pay (only 'cause I am broke and without a credit card)
Last edited by WolfWoman on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Death is Awaiting,
I am ready,
Not to leave,
But to Fight!
Fang

My Wolves:
Fang:Pure White
Mirage:Black with a White diamond on her forehead
Sango: Purple Eyes with a Pure Black coat

Bellamy
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Bellamy » Thu May 29, 2008 4:53 pm

Oh the joys of money limitations and getting enough funds...

I'm glad you guys are keeping the game free for the reasons you mentioned. We all appreciate it greatly!

And have fun on your break! XD

sora
Former WQ Moderator

Post by sora » Fri May 30, 2008 5:11 am

if i may ask.
is wolfquest on the stock market?
(kinda stupid question though)
~~Will you swear on your life, That no one will cry at my funeral?~~

Before I knew it I was running
You were pulling my hand
Yesterday is long past; Tomorrow is just ahead

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Fri May 30, 2008 5:19 am

sora wrote:if i may ask.
is wolfquest on the stock market?
(kinda stupid question though)
I doubt it >.>
icon by Rottenrobbie

Fenris
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Fenris » Fri May 30, 2008 6:50 am

Ive bought one of the wolfquest t-shirt a few months back, i could try to donate but i doubt it will be alot. If i win the lottery ill give lots! 8)

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Fri May 30, 2008 9:34 am

anything for wolves man! anything! I`ll check out a few ideas for sponsers....
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Kyuubi no yoko
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Kyuubi no yoko » Fri May 30, 2008 4:20 pm

I figured this would be with in the 100,000 dollar range but wow! I had no clue it was so expensive! Anyways guys/gals keep donating and lets hope for the best!
I own the night!

Former moderator. :)

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Vida » Fri May 30, 2008 4:25 pm

What Kyuubi said. I didn't realise just how expensive it was to make a game :shock: . Enjoy your break and hopefully I'll be able to donate some money soon ^^
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

Sundew
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Sundew » Fri May 30, 2008 4:30 pm

We've thought about funding the next episode by charging $10 or $20 for it, but we feel strongly that WolfQuest should remain a free game, to reach as many people as we can.

You guys rule!!:) I'll by a t-shirt and spread the word.
I swear i never meant to let it die! I just dont care about u anymore!
My wolves
momma- silver and white
[*][/color][*][/color][*][/color]

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”