The status of things

Archived news, updates and announcements.
valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Re: The status of things

Post by valkea » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:35 am

FlowerPaw15 wrote:If we shut down the lexicon chat, aren't we going to lose members?
Yes, judging from the posts that have been made in reaction to lexicon being removed, people are going to leave because of the change. However, it is something that is going to have to happen, and hopefully the release of the new version will bring in enough members to make up for that.

FlowerPaw15
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by FlowerPaw15 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:50 am

Katserin Kynsi wrote:
FlowerPaw15 wrote:If we shut down the lexicon chat, aren't we going to lose members?
Yes, judging from the posts that have been made in reaction to lexicon being removed, people are going to leave because of the change. However, it is something that is going to have to happen, and hopefully the release of the new version will bring in enough members to make up for that.
Is there be a chat lexicon in the new release?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:53 am

FlowerPaw15 wrote:
Katserin Kynsi wrote:
Is there be a chat lexicon in the new release?
loboLoco wrote:I think I've noted this elsewhere, but here's the near-final plan for in-game chat:

Private Games (which are now much more reliable!) will have:
-Text Chat (probably with a naughty-word block, but otherwise unconstrained--no lexicon)
-Voice Chat
-Phrase Chat

Public Games will only have Phrase Chat.

Also, players under age 13 will be restricted to phrase chat in all MP game modes, unless they get parental consent for text and voice chat. That's a legal requirement due to the US COPPA law.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 0#p2388748

FlowerPaw15
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by FlowerPaw15 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:57 am

Thank you!

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:01 am

FlowerPaw15 wrote:Thank you!
Please make sure you have at least three words in your posts, otherwise they will be considered spam.

hikerhorse
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by hikerhorse » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:07 pm

I will be REALLY sad to see Lexicon chat go. I think it offers more pros than cons, honestly, and it helps people to meet other people, which is important in today's world. It really helps, also, in understanding what the other wolves in the chat are saying and doing, and it helps with communication skills. Maybe there could be a combination of the phrase + lexicon chat somehow? The phrase chat has very limited sentences and i feel would make the game less exciting for most. Even though WolfQuest was originally a single person game, it has developed into multiplayer. I'm sorry to hear funding is running low, and glad that Lexicon has lasted longer than originally anticipated.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:11 pm

hikerhorse wrote:I will be REALLY sad to see Lexicon chat go. I think it offers more pros than cons, honestly, and it helps people to meet other people, which is important in today's world. It really helps, also, in understanding what the other wolves in the chat are saying and doing, and it helps with communication skills. Maybe there could be a combination of the phrase + lexicon chat somehow? The phrase chat has very limited sentences and i feel would make the game less exciting for most. Even though WolfQuest was originally a single person game, it has developed into multiplayer. I'm sorry to hear funding is running low, and glad that Lexicon has lasted longer than originally anticipated.
While open games will be limited to phrase chat or no chat, private games will have a text chat available that is filtered through a list of disallowed words (and so will allow much more freedom than the lexicon ever has) and voice chat. So, your chatting freedom isn't completely gone. There's some more information about it here and here.

Dragonkingattack
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Dragonkingattack » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:25 pm

Alright, thanks for the info!

Clan Hyena
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

App?

Post by Clan Hyena » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:54 pm

So, ive looked all over and cant seem to find the topic about the release date for the New Wolf Quest app, ive heard late september early october, is that still a correct estimate? :mrgreen:

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Re: App?

Post by valkea » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:58 pm

Clan Hyena wrote:So, ive looked all over and cant seem to find the topic about the release date for the New Wolf Quest app, ive heard late september early october, is that still a correct estimate? :mrgreen:
Right now it's looking like most likely early October.
And once we get closer to release, I will start making noises about it coming soon, so in the meantime you don't have to check every three hours. The beta testers have found a fair number of bugs that we need to fix, so that may take a bit longer than I was hoping. Late Sept looks unlikely now, but hopefully it won't be too far into October. Sorry! We're as eager to release it as you all are to play it.

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Re: App?

Post by Celestial-Howl » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:58 am

Katserin Kynsi wrote:
Clan Hyena wrote:So, ive looked all over and cant seem to find the topic about the release date for the New Wolf Quest app, ive heard late september early october, is that still a correct estimate? :mrgreen:
Right now it's looking like most likely early October.
And once we get closer to release, I will start making noises about it coming soon, so in the meantime you don't have to check every three hours. The beta testers have found a fair number of bugs that we need to fix, so that may take a bit longer than I was hoping. Late Sept looks unlikely now, but hopefully it won't be too far into October. Sorry! We're as eager to release it as you all are to play it.
That sounds good, early October is a great release date.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Well, here's an updated release date estimate. Early October isn't happening. Still hopefully October though.

Lilly Shane
Pup
Pup

Post by Lilly Shane » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:56 pm

I'm not going to leave just because of the removal of lexicon, if it's true that the game will have a built-in messaging system, then it hopefully won't be too hard to setup private games. Also, we just might get more active forum members.

Oh, and I have a question. When the game moves to the paid distribution, does this mean that eventually in the future we can no longer get the game directly from the website? And if this becomes the case, what about the survival of the forum? Will there be an in-game link to the forum to advertise it?

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:14 pm

Lilly Shane wrote:Oh, and I have a question. When the game moves to the paid distribution, does this mean that eventually in the future we can no longer get the game directly from the website? And if this becomes the case, what about the survival of the forum? Will there be an in-game link to the forum to advertise it?
2.5 will still be available for free.
The original free version of the game will remain available, but some or all multiplayer modes will be disabled by then, if not sooner.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=76405
2.7 also has a button to visit the forums when you exit the game, as it does in 2.5.

Lilly Shane
Pup
Pup

Post by Lilly Shane » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:11 pm

Katserin Kynsi wrote:2.5 will still be available for free.
Thank you for your response, what I meant was will we be able to get the paid version(2.7) directly from the WolfQuest site, or will that eventually be phased out so you can only purchase via Amazon, Steam, etc? Or perhaps the site would link the paid version to Steam, etc.

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”