The status of things

Archived news, updates and announcements.
CrazyyFox
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: The status of things

Post by CrazyyFox » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:27 am

I know some people would be against this but I really wouldn't mind paying for an episode 3 of WQ on Win/Mac. I think its a great game and defenitly could be even better if it had the fundings right? Ep 1 and 2 could remain free but episode 3 could be an in-game purchase or the like. Sort of like an expansion pack. I think that the people still playing would be more than willing to pay for more episodes or updates.

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:29 am

They are not updating the Win/Mac version anymore. Most of us want it to happen, but it most likely won't. They are, however, making an iPad/tablet game, and I honestly think that would bring in more profit and be more successful in this day and age then another extension of the Win/Mac version.

ovedur

Post by ovedur » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:35 am

• Thanks for letting us know, Dave!

Ekatski
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Ekatski » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:23 pm

There should be a way to donate to the development of the game (tablet and/or pc) or atleast to keep the forums open somehow. I have extra-money that needs some spendin' :wink:

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:40 am

I hope that the money generated by the new iPad game release will help keep the forums up. I'd hate to see them die too.

Kamimusubi
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Kamimusubi » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:45 pm

Okay, I definitely agree with the whole Kickstarter idea. For those who don't know what a Kickstarter is, you can compare it to online petitions where a goal must be reached before a certain date, but with Kickstarter, we're talking money, rather than signatures.

To put it simply, the WQ team would type up a description of the game, maybe including some screenshots from the game, and ask for donations for the game to be funded. They would set a profit goal (i.e. $100,000) and an ending date for that goal. People will then donate their money for your cause. If the goal is reached or exceeded by the deadline, the WQ team will have enough to fund the game.

You can also give out little "prizes" for those who donate a certain amount of money. Say someone donates $20; they get a WQ t-shirt as sort of a "reward" for donating that much.

So yes! I am 100% on board for a kickstarter!

As for suggestions? Oh, please upgrade the graphics! The game looks as if we're still stuck in the early 2000s, no offense.

As for more customization, I say we should let the players choose the appearance of their pups, and maybe (just maybe) let them change their mate's appearance later on.

Definitely let players choose markings and such, but keep it within natural fur colors unless they're on multiplayer mode, because single-player is supposed to be educational and about what real wolves do, yeah? So yeah no sparkledogs running around in single-player, but allow that in multi-player since multi-player is usually RP-based and I constantly see people saying their wolves have extra markings that aren't natural fur colors, like "She is a black she-wolf with red tiger stripes".

Speaking of multi-player, allow us to choose the names of the wolf we're playing

With bug fixes, please fix the whole cowardly bear thing, where a bear runs off at like superhero speed if you approach it.

Also, this shouldn't effect the story and make it where ep. 3 will be needed, so I suggest a "loner" quest where you start out on Amethyst Mountain and have to eventually make the journey to Slough Creek... without a mate. Maybe?

That's all. ^^
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed your color coding. You forgot a / in the color code at the end!

ZippyWizard
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by ZippyWizard » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:45 pm

A kickstarter is an awesome idea, but if a campaign were to happen, Indiegogo is MUCH better. They have flexible funding; which basically means that however much money is earned, even if the goal isn't reached, goes to the campaign. With Kickstarter, as far as I know, takes the money from unreached campaigns. But a campaign is an AWESOME idea.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Dusk

Post by duskypack » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:50 pm

I think the mate should be more unique, but randomized, not customizable. I would SO donate for the Kickstarter, but not that much I'm afraid, though if I could I'd donate 100

Nala118
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Nala118 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:00 pm

I used to play this game all the time! My old laptop crashed a few years ago and I forgot all about it. Glad the forum is still open at the moment. This post was very helpful.

Do you think you can find a way to make it available for the Google Chromebook? Unfortunately, I bought this without doing enough research. But it would be nice to play again! This is the best wolf interaction game out there! (In my honest opinion.)

If you need help with forums though, I am online every day.

StarWolfClaw
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by StarWolfClaw » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:22 am

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but maybe a cool feature would be to hear other wolves from other territories howl in the distance when you howl. Just a suggestion.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:50 pm

There's no longer a topic for general game-related suggestions besides the specific ones for bugs that need fixing (http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=74870), new customization suggestions (http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=74904) and feedback on whether or not dens should be more than just scenery (http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=74985); all of these are focused on the tablet version only. The original game suggestions topic "Ideas for new episodes" was locked back in December 2012 -- see the "WolfQuest Update" topic in this section for further information. Sorry StarWolfClaw! ^^;

Davidlc
Pup
Pup

Please keep lexicon chat and others

Post by Davidlc » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:35 pm

I really would appreciate it if the lexicon chat stayed on. It would also be cool if you updated this game with a new episode for pc/mac version. I also had an idea with my only friend about a multiplayer story mode. Maybe you could make certain servers that stay online and could hold 10 players each. that would be epic. thanks again 8)

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:10 pm

There are no plans or funding available to make a new episode possible, though it's not strictly impossible.
loboLoco wrote:Should it be a big success, we will use those revenues to expand the game, possibly even another episode, though that would require very strong sales.

Currently, the team is focusing their efforts on developing the tablet version for iPad (and hopefully an Android/Kindle version later on) which includes bug fixes, improvements and new features. The dedicated game suggestions topic ("Ideas for new episodes") was locked in December 2012 due to there no longer being any funding available. loboLoco (Dave) has posted the following topics to encourage feedback and input on what can be done with the tablet version if you're interested.

Whether or not these changes are ported to the computer versions is for time to tell; again, the WolfQuest project has always been dependent on the funding it receives through National Science Foundation grants, store revenue and donations. Eduweb is funding the tablet version out of their own pocket, which is why the tablet version will have a price tag attached for $5 or less -- the final price has yet to be announced, so keep an eye on the tablet-specific FAQ and the News & Announcements forum. ^^

The multiplayer server is provided by Unity 3D. A higher player limit and dedicated sessions would be possible if the WQ Team provided a server independently, again bringing money into the equation including upkeep and maintenance costs for keeping the server going. In regards to the chat lexicon, sorry, but that feature will be disabled in the future as per the "WolfQuest Update" topic posted by WQ Coordinator in December 2012 and reaffirmed on the first post of this thread by Dave. Exactly when has yet to be announced. Hopefully the tablet version is the beginning of reviving project development.

Davidlc
Pup
Pup

Post by Davidlc » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:08 am

thanks for letting me know, although it does make me sad with the lexicon chat, but do you think there will be online chat where you speak to each other like throught the mic ont the laptops and stuff

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:44 am

Voice chat and a bad-words filter will be replacing lexicon in the tablet version.
loboLoco wrote:Multiplayer:
  • Private games have voice chat and lexicon-free text chat (filtered only through naughty words list)

Source: New features in tablet version

As far as the computer version goes, it's not getting replaced by either of those without a future update which leaves phrased chat and disabled chat as the only available chat options.

Return to “WolfQuest News and Announcements Archive”