The status of things

Archived news, updates and announcements.
alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Re: The status of things

Post by alethe » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:49 pm

How will they filter voice chat, out of curiosity?

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:32 pm

• I don't think they can river6. On the plus side though, voice chat will be limited to private games only, which should help mitigate any uncomfortable situations. Not eliminate, yes, but at least mitigate.

That new features page has some cool features on it now! Like scent detection by the prey from the wind direction. Cool!

Granger
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Shelby

Post by Granger » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:45 pm

That sounds epic, Tonbei! I'm really excited for the release. Half of the excitement is because I can't wait to see the new features, the other half of it is due to the possibility that the forums will kick up and be nice and lively!

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Dusk

Post by duskypack » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:24 am

I agree, I have an ipad (I typed this post on it). I would love to see new features and to play Wolfquest on the go! But to see a lively forum, I've been here for abut three or four years and I miss how the forum used to be.

- Dusk

ItsLiminal
Pup
Pup

Post by ItsLiminal » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:49 pm

Just out of curiosity, is there any way possible for users to elect to be multiplayer moderators? I seem to never see actual WQ mods or admins on multiplayer games, so maybe if there are active players that frequent servers that are mature enough to crack down on people who are abusing the game for "mating" and other inappropriate subjects, then maybe the lexicon won't need to be shut down, and maybe we can free up more double-meaning words if such an idea takes off. Now that I think about it, this may seem really unrealistic, but I've had it on my mind for some time. Feel free to shoot it down all you want. :) I guess I just figured, the actual assigned mods are never on the servers, so why not utilize those mature and older users who do?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:06 pm

frankie-sez wrote:Just out of curiosity, is there any way possible for users to elect to be multiplayer moderators? I seem to never see actual WQ mods or admins on multiplayer games, so maybe if there are active players that frequent servers that are mature enough to crack down on people who are abusing the game for "mating" and other inappropriate subjects, then maybe the lexicon won't need to be shut down, and maybe we can free up more double-meaning words if such an idea takes off. Now that I think about it, this may seem really unrealistic, but I've had it on my mind for some time. Feel free to shoot it down all you want. :) I guess I just figured, the actual assigned mods are never on the servers, so why not utilize those mature and older users who do?
The report team essentially serves that purpose. They have the ability to report people using the Report Team forum, but there is no "button" per say for reporting in-game or handing out warnings and/or bans. Actual warnings and and more specifically bans are strictly under the jurisdiction of the administrators from the Minnesota Zoo or trusted volunteers at this time. That, and the actual game does not have any avaliable reporting or in-game warning or ban features. Adding such features, if possible, I'm assuming would require funding, which the Minnesota Zoo has chosen to forego because they have discontinued the original project. Because the Minnesota Zoo is "distancing " themselves, for lack of a better term, bans and warnings in regards to multiplayer behavior have slowed down, the current status of the report team is in limbo. The project is being continued with the tablet version, yes, but funding and focus is currently being directed there -- not the current Mac/Windows version.

ItsLiminal
Pup
Pup

Post by ItsLiminal » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:19 am

The report team essentially serves that purpose. They have the ability to report people using the Report Team forum, but there is no "button" per say for reporting in-game or handing out warnings and/or bans. Actual warnings and and more specifically bans are strictly under the jurisdiction of the administrators from the Minnesota Zoo or trusted volunteers at this time. That, and the actual game does not have any avaliable reporting or in-game warning or ban features. Adding such features, if possible, I'm assuming would require funding, which the Minnesota Zoo has chosen to forego because they have discontinued the original project. Because the Minnesota Zoo is "distancing " themselves, for lack of a better term, bans and warnings in regards to multiplayer behavior have slowed down, the current status of the report team is in limbo. The project is being continued with the tablet version, yes, but funding and focus is currently being directed there -- not the current Mac/Windows version.
Thanks, Koa. I understand that it's all about the funds and the work of the volunteers now. (: I'm a bit sad that the developers are distancing themselves from the WQ project, but I'm thankful for the fact that they're extending their skills to make a tablet game. Perhaps if they gather up enough funds from that source, they will have more drive to tweak and improve the PC version?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Well, it is not the Minnesota Zoo who is working on the tablet version, but eduweb. Thought I'd clarify the extent of the zoo's wish to discontinue the project on their end.

And yes, it is possible that the revenue received from tablet version sales will be put towards the Mac/Pc version(s) of the game and/or expansions overall. However, the team's main priority regarding revenue is first making up the money they've invested on the game.
loboLoco wrote:We are funding this internally, so are counting on app sales to make back our investment. Should it be a big success, we will use those revenues to expand the game, possibly even another episode, though that would require very strong sales.

astrowolf2000
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by astrowolf2000 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:40 am

Will there ever be a new wolfquest version? Been playing this game for years and gotta say, I love it.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:47 am

The future of the game is and always has been entirely dependent on funding.

There aren't any plans for an update to the existing computer versions besides the upcoming tablet app, and there haven't been plans for a new episode since the "WolfQuest Update" (http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=70242) announcement in 2012. However, an update to the computer versions is not impossible provided the team can realistically afford to do so.
loboLoco wrote:We are funding this internally, so are counting on app sales to make back our investment. Should it be a big success, we will use those revenues to expand the game, possibly even another episode, though that would require very strong sales.

Wolff Jaw
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolff Jaw » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:19 pm

Sorry to hear all this, but it's true, there are some pretty disrespectful players in the chat.

DreamerDay

Post by DreamerDay » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Um, not to intrude in your party, but any updates? Or anything new so far?

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Dusk

Post by duskypack » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:06 pm

This first post has a wealth of ideas that would really enhance gameplay, I especially like the hunting and the howl related suggestions:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=75014

These are only little details sometimes but it would make the game fuller and more fun, even more so then just going in a den!

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=75014

-Dusk

AveryCF
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by AveryCF » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:06 pm

Wow I havent been here in ages to come back and find a app idea... But the main queshton I keep wondering is, will the Mac/Windows still be avalible? But the app vertion would have all the new material/Updates? Basicly the computer one would be older BUT still playible?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:00 am

AveryCF wrote:Wow I havent been here in ages to come back and find a app idea... But the main queshton I keep wondering is, will the Mac/Windows still be avalible? But the app vertion would have all the new material/Updates? Basicly the computer one would be older BUT still playible?

Yes, you are correct. The current Mac/Windows version will still be avaliable to play; the new and upcoming tablet version will feature new additions. For a complete list of new features, please see this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=75088

Return to “WolfQuest News and Announcements Archive”