WolfQuest on Steam Greenlight! UPDATE: Greenlit!!

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Angelion Blackfire
Name: V.

Re: WolfQuest on Steam Greenlight!

Post by Angelion Blackfire » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:52 am

Wow, you guys are really trying. When I first joined I never tough the game and forum would be alive for so long and now this. Such a pleasant surprise. ^^ Voted!

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:58 am

Uh oh, we're slipping a bit. Now #52. We need more Yes votes! Spread the word! http://bit.ly/1HXpMyf
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Kiana1237
Pup
Pup

Post by Kiana1237 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:16 pm

I'm pretty mixed on this. I've actually been waitig a while for it to be on Steam. Just hope that Steam doesn't start putting their own rules to the game if it ever does get on there. If they leave it up the the Wolf Quest crew, then it should be good.

Kipcha28

Post by Kipcha28 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:46 pm

Looks like they greenlit a bunch of the high-ranking ones today, which shifted WQ to #18!

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:38 pm

Yeah, that happened in two waves--first we jumped #23, then to #18 as they picked a few more games. But do we have to maintain this position for a whole week now? Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit...something.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:13 pm

More good news! If we can maintain #18 or close to it for a little while, I'm sure WQ will be greenlit.

It seems like some people don't understand the purpose of Greenlight. Some expect Bethesda-level graphics and the same level of quality you'd get from top level AAA games. Usually indie studios can't afford or aren't skilled enough to have the level of graphics that Bethesda and other huge developers have in their games, and some people don't seem to understand that. Nor do they seem to understand how much time, effort, and money it takes to have those level of graphics....indie studios usually don't have those luxuries.

Yes, Wolfquest's graphics can certainly still improve. But that doesn't make it a bad game - graphics aren't everything, and that's been proven many times in the past.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:31 pm

To be honest, I haven't looked at the comments since Friday.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:58 pm

Well, the vast majority of the comments are positive. I guess I'm just griping.

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:55 am

From what I'm seeing, there are some pretty positive comments going on there!

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:44 pm

Yeah, like I said most are positive.

Some of the more constructive ones are right, though, and kind of useful. Those ones are saying to add more 'life' into the game (whatever that means? More plant life? Animal life?), improve the animations, things should be 'less barren', etc.

Maybe that could be something that is looked into if episode 3 is ever made.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:11 pm

Amazingly, we have been holding steady at #15 all day.

There's definitely some vegetation upgrades I'd like to do, and eventually revise the elk and stranger wolf spawning methods to be more naturalistic. OTOH, if you walk around Yellowstone, it's not like you're tripping over wildlife. Aside from the bison herds, wildlife tends to keep itself hidden. So even if we, say, added mountain lions....you'd be unlikely to ever see them. (Hey, maybe they're already in there!)
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:23 pm

loboLoco wrote:Amazingly, we have been holding steady at #15 all day.

There's definitely some vegetation upgrades I'd like to do, and eventually revise the elk and stranger wolf spawning methods to be more naturalistic. OTOH, if you walk around Yellowstone, it's not like you're tripping over wildlife. Aside from the bison herds, wildlife tends to keep itself hidden. So even if we, say, added mountain lions....you'd be unlikely to ever see them. (Hey, maybe they're already in there!)
Wow, that's great news! Thanks for the continuous updates.

That's true. When I look at a game like Skyrim, whose world has been praised as being 'full of life', I see that they have multiple different kinds of trees, plants, grasses, mosses, fungi and others...and all at varying heights, different colour morphs/shades, and sizes. They blow around with the wind, too.

As far as fauna goes, they have megafauna as well as the little things like butterflies fluttering around grasses and flowers, and different kinds of fish in the rivers. Clams and rocks on the riverbed, etc.

Flora sxample (in-game screenshot of an area in Skyrim): https://preorderskyrim.files.wordpress. ... enshot.jpg

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:26 pm

That would be good to have along with bison. Could I ask if there would ever be a possibility to make a Hayden valley map? Or a mousing for your pups/ destroy a coyote den mission or a sickness/ injury system

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:35 pm

Are people seriously expecting WQ's environment to compare to Skyrim's? Isn't Greenlight for indie games, not $85m games?
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:47 pm

I've actually seen WolfQuest compared to Skyrim a few times in discussions regarding popularity, comparing WQ's graphics quality, size, and options available to the player to what Skyrim has to offer in those areas. I don't really understand why that comparison gets made, tbh, these are two completely different games with completely different goals and limits. Unfortunately it seems like some people don't understand how much time and money it costs to create a game and that not every developer can create a game on the level of Skyrim.

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”