Are Fennec Foxes Good Pets?

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Wolf+Freedom=Me
Pup
Pup

Are Fennec Foxes Good Pets?

Post by Wolf+Freedom=Me » Fri May 08, 2009 3:26 pm

I saw images online of fennec foxes being made into pets! They're so cute and I love their ears! Is it true they can be domesticated? Would they make good pets? What would their environment requirements be? Where could I get one?
Thanks,
W+F=M <3
My username is confusing..but the game gives us freedom and we are a wolf..this game is so me!

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Are Fennec Foxes Good Pets?

Post by Songdog » Sat May 09, 2009 11:42 am

Foxes in general are not good pets. They are generally nocturnal, territorial, require high maintenance, and are dangerous. They require special permits and such

Just because you raise an animal from birth does not mean they will be just like a dog. Wild animals are wild, and have wild instincts, whereas dogs can be taught.

My advise is keep wild animals where they belong: in the wild. Don't get a wild animal just because they look cute, because they are still wild. They do have teeth, and even if they're small, could give you stitches. Lots of times people get animals that look cute, then either abandon them or can't care for them because they stop being cute or realize that they're wild animals and can't be domesticated.

If you want a pet, get something that was meant to be a pet, like a dog, cat, ferret, etc.

Giratina127
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Giratina127 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:58 pm

I agree,Songdog. :)
Wild animals don't really make good pets.
i would just stick with a dog or a cat,fishtank,etc. :)
Wolfs are a part of us as are all animals
They once protected us,they once helped us hunt and they once where a part of are family
Now they run free like the wind through the trees

My avatar is something i made,a friend of my showed me how

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:03 pm

Unless your willing to live with animals that are not yard trained, claim items by urinating on them, have high energy levels, are nervous,cautious, not kid friendly, attack cats and small mammaes, and have special vet needs than sure.

But if not, than stick to something your familiar with.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Spiritfox09
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Spiritfox09 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:09 pm

I'm going to buy a fox once I get out of school. They can make excellent pets if you raise them right. Though they take alot of commitment. If you want to talk to some fox owners, you can go here: http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/index.php They will answer any questions you have. ^_^
"Each day's a gift and not a given right....What's worth the prize is always worth the fight...."

Wolf runner
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Wolf runner » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:49 pm

Agreed with Pewee and Songdog. I wouldn't. My cousen owned one because it looked cute, and the fox bit her arm, hurt her (Stitchs), and the poor fox got put down because of it. As was said, they aren't very good pets.
Ace,
The concurer
Ace
The great
Ace
The fighter
Ace
My wolf
Avitar made by *hige*

bfalconx
Pup
Pup

Post by bfalconx » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:15 pm

I heard foxes have a bad tendency to bite, even with training. :)
::: live and let live :::

Shad's Russian WQ help site http://wolfquestrus.3dn.ru/ (Coming soon/being made).
New avatar by Mezzanota of WolfQuest

tawny454
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by tawny454 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:27 pm

Wolf+Freedom=Me wrote:I saw images online of fennec foxes being made into pets! They're so cute and I love their ears! Is it true they can be domesticated? Would they make good pets? What would their environment requirements be? Where could I get one?
Thanks,
W+F=M <3
i bet in most areas it's illegal
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny

The years have gone past
They flew like a hawk.
my time has yet to last
The seconds ticking away on the clock
A fast current on which we ride.
-me

Don't click here:
http://dragcave.net/user/tawny454

SasukeUchia163911
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SasukeUchia163911 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:31 am

Fennec foxes are really cute wit the ear and face and all but inside is a wild animal ready to attack. So They wouldn't make a very good pet at all.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
We stare at the humans.
They think we are evil.
We're not evil.
We are the wolves and we rule the forest.

alphawolf20
Pup
Pup
Location: Middle School, sitting in the back of the class doing CrAzY stuff with my CrAzY friends!

Post by alphawolf20 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:25 am

Fennec foxes are cute but i would have to say they would probebly not make good pets and they are wild animals so i could lead to a wild pet
Rottweiller lover!

..... (\_/)
.(... {, "-;
.)).. /';.\
.((_()'_ \\,,

You may miss me
You may ignore me
You may even forget me
But one day if you want to see me
Don't search, just see your shadow
I will be there..Trust Me!!

Enter the wonderful world of me..

Airwolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Anywhere and anyplace until I finally find a place to call Home.

Post by Airwolf » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:29 am

i agree with SongDog you should never have a wild animal as a pet they belong in the wild not to be a pet
H.O.W.L
Help
Our
Wolves
Live

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´ ¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•
Hope^Howl^Pack-Lead Fighter and Delta Female
Snow Frost Pack-Female Deputy
Check out my page http://wolfgirl123345.deviantart.com/
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:33 pm

I actually found some information on this, and while I do not believe wild animals should be kept as pets, here is what I found from wikipedia:
The Fennec Fox is considered the only species of fox which can properly be kept as a pet. Although it cannot be considered domesticated, it can be kept in a domestic setting similar to dogs or cats. This is legal in the USA, Canada, Japan and other countries. In the United States and Canada there is a relatively established community of Fennec Fox owners and breeders.

Pet Fennec Foxes, being the most social among foxes, are usually very friendly towards strangers and other household pets. However, they are extremely active, and need outlets for their energy; they may exhaust other household pets with their playfulness. Moreover, instinctual behaviors, such as hiding caches of food in case of famine and attempting to burrow into furniture to build a nest, can also add to the difficulty of their care. Fennec Foxes are often not able to be housebroken, although a few owners have reported being able to litter-train their Fennec Foxes.

Several factors make it important to ensure that a pet does not escape. Its speed and agility (they can jump four times their own body length), along with their natural chase instinct, creates the risk of a Fennec Fox slipping its harness or collar. Since it is also an adept digger (it can dig up to 20 feet a night in its natural environment), outdoor pens and fences must be extended several feet below ground. Escaped Fennec Foxes are extremely difficult to recapture.

Any diet in a domestic setting should reflect their diet in the wild. Though omnivorous, a great deal of their diet consists of meat and protein sources like insects. Food sources commonly used include high quality meat-rich dog food, wild canine food brands, cat food, raw meats, insects, mealworms and custom dietary mixtures.

The legality of owning a Fennec Fox varies by jurisdiction, as with many exotic pets. Also, being considered an exotic animal, not all veterinarians will treat them.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:41 am

I also agree with Songdog and pawnee. And besides, I think it's not a good reason to acquire a pet for yourself only because you think they look cute. Taking care of an animal (whether domesticated or taken from the wilderness) requires a lot of work and caretake. You are the one who's responsible of your pet and its doings. . . etc, etc.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Falcon61
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Falcon61 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:09 pm

I agree highly with most people who've posted.
Wild animals are NOT meant to be pets.
Especially foxes. They're territorial, nocturnal, and skittish. Not to mention smell very strong (their musk anyway).
"If the journey doesn't have something to teach you about yourself, then what kind of journey is it? There is one thing I'm already certain of: Though we may think we choose our journeys, they choose us."
-Kira Salak; The Cruelest Journey

She-Wolf Moon
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by She-Wolf Moon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:20 pm

My parents bought a fox pup a long time ago(i think it was a fence) at a swap meet...but it wouldn't eat anything and it died...so i don't know what to tell you...
~Wolf Quest Rocks!~