African Wild Dog

Discuss other canids (dogs, coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

User avatar
April
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2597
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:23 pm
Gender: Female
Location: In the midst of a storm
Contact:

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by April » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:56 pm

ethiopianwolfking wrote:ive found another interesting fact about them. aparrently they fist evolved 20 million years ago!
Uhhh...well...That's not really a fact but a belief.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:23 pm
Gender: Female
Location: District 12
Contact:

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by Atropine » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:33 pm

I love the African Wild Dog - beautiful and intriguing canids. =D I saw several at a zoo I visited a few weeks ago - I took some pictures, however the fence completely blurred them so they're not worth uploading. x3 I'm fascinated by their pelts - the cryptic pattern is incredible.
Avatar by Jewelz

DarkMyst
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:21 pm
Gender: Female
Location: I have finished my novel outside of WQ, at 113,529 words, and I am editing it. Will be semi-inactive

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by DarkMyst » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:47 pm

African Wild Dogs are very beautiful creatures, they're pelts are just gorgeous with all those remarkable designs and pattern-like markings. I can truly see why they call African Wild Dogs the "Painted Wolf."
They also have large ears, which I find very adorable, it adds a lot of personality.

I like their social structure as well, I don't know a lot about them but I intend to start studying them.

I know that their social structure is similar to a wolf packs' is it not? There are two dominants, and the wolf pack cares for the pups, however I find it very sweet that the African Wild Dogs care for the pups no matter what, if they get food, they give it to the pups first, then the elderly and sick members of the pack. I find it very interesting and sweet how they seem to form an emotional attactchment to the members of their pack, especially the mothers, and the AWDs that take care of the pups.
They are almost like your typical human family, but in canine form.

I also find it fascinating how they "chirp" instead of barking. That, is fascinating.
............---'----........Myst
........'.'...-------------------------------
.........'......."U-chebin Estel anim
I gave hope to men. I keep none for myself.
...------------......—Aragorn
........'.'...-------------------------------
......----'--'--.......DeviantART
....-'-......http://dritealtia.deviantart.com/
........'.'...-------------------------------
--'-----Icon :: Lupinzpack :: Sig :: DarkMyst

User avatar
Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member
Posts: 3478
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:20 am

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by Blightwolf » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:09 am

I'm not sure if a lot of people are aware of this, but African Wild Dogs are in fact the only canid that have never been truly tamed despite several attempts to socialize, train and make them human-oriented. They resist any forms of training and human interaction, which I find very fascinating, since large canids such as wolves have been tamed successfully, as well as coyotes, jackals, foxes and raccoon dogs. Even other wild dogs, dingoes, Singers (New Guinea Singing Dogs) and Asiatic wild dogs (dholes) can be tamed - but not the AWD. They simply do not imprint on people - and it is completely insignificant whether you have handraised an AWD pup since birth, bottle-fed it and tried to establish a bond with it. It just doesn't work.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

DarkMyst
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:21 pm
Gender: Female
Location: I have finished my novel outside of WQ, at 113,529 words, and I am editing it. Will be semi-inactive

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by DarkMyst » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:14 pm

Blightwolf wrote:I'm not sure if a lot of people are aware of this, but African Wild Dogs are in fact the only canid that have never been truly tamed despite several attempts to socialize, train and make them human-oriented. They resist any forms of training and human interaction, which I find very fascinating, since large canids such as wolves have been tamed successfully, as well as coyotes, jackals, foxes and raccoon dogs. Even other wild dogs, dingoes, Singers (New Guinea Singing Dogs) and Asiatic wild dogs (dholes) can be tamed - but not the AWD. They simply do not imprint on people - and it is completely insignificant whether you have handraised an AWD pup since birth, bottle-fed it and tried to establish a bond with it. It just doesn't work.
Wow, that is interesting, I never knew that, I mean, I knew that many wild dogs could be "tamed," although they never lose their wild isntincts, but I never knew that the AWD couldn't be tamed/trained. But then again, no wild animal is ever really "tamed." They've always got those wild instincts that make them, well... wild.
African Wild Dogs are proving themselves to be a very fascinating species of animals, and very beautiful too. They are truly unique. 8D
............---'----........Myst
........'.'...-------------------------------
.........'......."U-chebin Estel anim
I gave hope to men. I keep none for myself.
...------------......—Aragorn
........'.'...-------------------------------
......----'--'--.......DeviantART
....-'-......http://dritealtia.deviantart.com/
........'.'...-------------------------------
--'-----Icon :: Lupinzpack :: Sig :: DarkMyst

portia
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf
Posts: 1751
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:39 am
Gender: Female
Location: Waking up in ash and dust.

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by portia » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:56 pm

A very interesting fact indeed Blightwolf;
I have to write a story for a charity organisation in South Africa and I am planning on making the main character an african wild dog (or wildehond as they also call it) and I am trying to lean a bit more about them.
They truly are unique and beautiful creatures, powerful, graceful and successful
________Ͽ.Լ ᴀ ᴅ ʏ || Լ ᴜ ᴄ ɪ ғ ᴇ ʀ Ͼ
__......._.http://nymah-rose.deviantart.com
____.───────────────────────
__________Is ɪᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀɪᴛ
__________ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜɪs ᴋɪʟʟɪɴɢ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ?
____.───────────────────────
__._.______.___Av©Jewelz

shadowwolf966
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:56 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Waiting for summer

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by shadowwolf966 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:09 am

very, very beautiful and smart animals.
this might have already been posted, but have any of you seen the video Planet Earth did on them? It was amazing. They had it all planned out, and it was just.... wow.

Here's a link:
.//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
.//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
...........Shadow, proud to be a Tafuria of the African Stars Pack!
.//.......'.'.'.'..Come join the largest pack on WolfQuest today!:
..../...........//.http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Siggie (c) Alpha Female

Khisa
Pup
Pup
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:00 pm
Gender: Female
Location: beans

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by Khisa » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:30 am

[[ I know this has been dead for a while but I thought it'd be alright to revive ]]

I love African Wild Dogs, they're such beautiful creatures.

My favorite trait about them has to be their large ears, they just give off a rather comical appearance and look cute ^-^ I also find their hunting tactics and social pack structure interesting, its phenomenal how high their success rate in hunting is and how clever they can be at times.
av by jewelz

User avatar
La Striata
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Wadi-Abu-Diba

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by La Striata » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:28 am

AWDs are simply one step forward from wolves in regard to social structure. Wolves still display numerous atavistic (ancestral) behaviours inherent in lone animals (they spend a lot of time alone and may even kill prey by themselves). An AWD without a pack is either desperate or dying.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

User avatar
Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member
Posts: 3478
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:20 am

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:31 am

La Striata wrote:AWDs are simply one step forward from wolves in regard to social structure. Wolves still display numerous atavistic (ancestral) behaviours inherent in lone animals (they spend a lot of time alone and may even kill prey by themselves). An AWD without a pack is either desperate or dying.
Almost all canids form some type of social groups, but social interaction, structure and behavior can still be highly variable.
I don't think it's correct to say that African wild dogs are "one step forward" from wolves in regard to any behavioral pattern; it carries a bit of an elitist connotation, if you ask me, almost implying that AWDs are somehow more "nobler" animals than wolves because wolves can survive fully well without the support of a pack whereas an AWD could not lead a solitary life. Sure, it has been proven that when compared to wolves, African wild dogs tend to be more socially active and that they have a higher hunting success rate than wolf packs, for example, but consider the following:

African wild dogs live in packs which can hold a significantly larger number of pack members than a normal wolf pack (up to 43 members).

A majority of male African wild dogs do not disperse from their natal pack; only the females commonly disperse and then migrate into other non-familiar packs.

Those two factors alone are already enough to affect a social organization.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

User avatar
La Striata
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Wadi-Abu-Diba

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by La Striata » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Blightwolf wrote:I don't think it's correct to say that African wild dogs are "one step forward" from wolves in regard to any behavioral pattern; it carries a bit of an elitist connotation, if you ask me, almost implying that AWDs are somehow more "nobler" animals than wolves because wolves can survive fully well without the support of a pack whereas an AWD could not lead a solitary life.
I am not in any way trying to imply that AWDs are "nobler" than wolves. Its just that AWDs simply display the highest degree of sociability among the canidae. As its hunting success rates demonstrate, this is a great boon, but it is not without disadvantages; AWDs are much more vulnerable to disease than wolves are, as sick wolves tend to disperse, while AWDs stick together no matter the situation.
Blightwolf wrote:African wild dogs live in packs which can hold a significantly larger number of pack members than a normal wolf pack (up to 43 members).
I think you may have got this the wrong way round. AWDs did not become social specialists in response to large pack sizes ; the large pack sizes were the by product of their high sociability.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

User avatar
MsGoldenMC4
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:28 pm
Gender: Female
Location: 'murica

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by MsGoldenMC4 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:46 am

Actually La Striata,Blightwolf is correct.An African Wild Dog Pack can have up to 20 Members or more.(Now moving on)But in a litter of pups,they can have up to 15 Pups in a single litter.Because in a Pack,Pups count as Pack Members.


Join the Battle
Carry the Flag   

#WeAreTheFifthLine



Av/Sig: LupinzPack/Emberflare

JOIN MY PACK: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=80170

User avatar
La Striata
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Wadi-Abu-Diba

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by La Striata » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:12 pm

-x-Rebecca-x- wrote:Actually La Striata,Blightwolf is correct.An African Wild Dog Pack can have up to 20 Members or more.(Now moving on)But in a litter of pups,they can have up to 15 Pups in a single litter.Because in a Pack,Pups count as Pack Members.
I was not contradicting her on the number of pack members at all.

I was stating that the development of highly social behaviour preceded large pack sizes in the species.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

User avatar
MsGoldenMC4
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:28 pm
Gender: Female
Location: 'murica

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by MsGoldenMC4 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:10 pm

La Striata wrote:
-x-Rebecca-x- wrote:Actually La Striata,Blightwolf is correct.An African Wild Dog Pack can have up to 20 Members or more.(Now moving on)But in a litter of pups,they can have up to 15 Pups in a single litter.Because in a Pack,Pups count as Pack Members.
I was not contradicting her on the number of pack members at all.

I was stating that the development of highly social behaviour preceded large pack sizes in the species.
Oh i get it.Sorry.But i do agree about what you and Blight said.


Join the Battle
Carry the Flag   

#WeAreTheFifthLine



Av/Sig: LupinzPack/Emberflare

JOIN MY PACK: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=80170

NewMooon
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:33 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Behind you... You looked didn't you?
Contact:

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by NewMooon » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:29 pm

I love the coat of African wild dogs. They really are unique.
..........╔═╦╗────╔═╦═╗
..........║║║╠═╦╦╦╣║║║╠═╦═╦═╦═╦╗
..........║║║║╩╣║║║║║║║╬║╬║╬║║║║
..........╚╩═╩═╩══╩╩═╩╩═╩═╩═╩╩═╝



.........."life IS hard."
.........."~ŋɚɰ ɱøøŋ



Green Paws Team

TextArt© Nightly
Avvie© Crystal

Post Reply

Return to “Other Canids”