General Dingo Discussion

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Footoo100
Pup
Pup

General Dingo Discussion

Post by Footoo100 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:27 pm

The dingo is NOT a wolf.It comes from Australia.They are meat eaters.
Last edited by Koa on Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread topic title changed to make it more generalized. Thread merged with similar thread.
The wolf stalks beneath the grass..quietly...then it pounces!
Wolves
Of
Life
Find

FOOTOO100

April

Re: Dingos

Post by April » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:13 pm

The Dingo and the New Guinea Singing Dog (Canis lupus dingo. Also known as Warrigal, Maliki, Mirigung, Boololomo or Australian Native Dog for the Austrailian race and NGSD and Singer for the New Guinea race) is a feral dog which mostly lives independently from humans. It is generally thought to originate from a population of domesticated dogs, possibly at a single occasion during the Austronesian expansion into Southeast Asia.[3] Though commonly described as an Australian wild dog, it is not restricted to Australia, nor did it originate there and is in fact a feral domestic dog rather than a separate species.[4] Modern dingoes are found throughout Southeast Asia, mostly in small pockets of remaining natural forest, and in mainland Australia, particularly in the north. They have features in common with both wolves and modern dogs, and are regarded as more or less unchanged descendants of an early ancestor of modern dogs. The name dingo comes from the language of the Eora Aboriginal people, who were the original inhabitants of the Sydney area. Singers have remained isolated from other dogs for almost 6000 years,[5] making them possibly the oldest of the pariah dogs. Once thought to inhabit the entire island of New Guinea. They are exceptionally intelligent, but hard to keep because of wild behavioural traits. However, unlike dingoes, singers can, in some cases, easily become domesticated animals with proper training, their pack-instincts may allow them to live with humans. They are recognized as a breed by the United Kennel Club, which places them in the Sighthound & Pariah Group. However the dingo race is yet to be accepted as a breed.

~Wikipedia
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Footoo100
Pup
Pup

Post by Footoo100 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:38 pm

The dingo quiz:

Q.1:Why are dingos like singing dogs?
Q.2:Do dingos and wombats meet?
Q.3:What family does the dingo belong in?
Q.4:Why do dingos live alone or in a pack?
Q.5:True or false?The dingo lives in africa.
Wolves
Of
Life
Find

FOOTOO100

April

Post by April » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Q.1:Why are dingos like singing dogs? They are related, singing dogs are subspeceis
Q.2:Do dingos and wombats meet? What do you mean? They live in the same area so I suppose so.
Q.3:What family does the dingo belong in? Canids
Q.4:Why do dingos live alone or in a pack? Dingoes live alone (they are a wild form of a domestic dog) Dingoes don't hunt in a pack because it is not their nature.
Q.5:True or false?The dingo lives in africa. No, they don't live in Africa. They live in Austrailia. That would be a false.

To learn more about dingoes go here;

http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc.ht ... pst=761476
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

~April~

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Footoo100
Pup
Pup

Post by Footoo100 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks,now why do dingos live in australia?
Wolves
Of
Life
Find

FOOTOO100

Alakai
Pup
Pup

Post by Alakai » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:16 pm

because after the continents seperated animals evolved to their new area. like we domesticated dogs by "hunting" for them and they are tame. dingoes ae just native to that area
....(\__/)
....{ ' ' } <------ Epic Wolfeh
(,,,) \./(,,,)

Waldes
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Waldes » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:14 am

Footoo100 wrote:The dingo is NOT a wolf.It comes from Australia.They are meat eaters.
Correction, The Dingo is a subspecies of Wolf.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:30 am

Dingos are fantastic. Magnificent creatures, if you ask me. They're my third favorite canids next to wolves and dogs. I found them really fascinating.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

April

Post by April » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:35 am

Footoo100 wrote:Thanks,now why do dingos live in australia?

Dingoes were not always wild dogs. They were actually pets that the humans bred, but got loose in Austrailia and flourished there.

~April~

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Draca Dog
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: I'm in you'r schoolbag where I eat pizza with my friends! Now it's full with sushi... YUM! >:D

Post by Draca Dog » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:43 am

Lol. Sure they are meat-eaters... Wolves, foxes, dholes, dogs, coyotes, etc too...

Bluebell_wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Bluebell_wolf » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:38 am

I had a dingo X he was a nice puppy but as he got older he when teritorial,aggresive,dominant and started to bite alot of people he was we didn't pick the puppy my dad did he don't live with us after Dylan started to do all them bad things mum made dad take him back he was a good dog and i did like him it's just sad that he's wild instinct took over he lives with my dad now and has a happy life
Bluebell

Avvie by the incredible MariaBlackWolf!

SasukeUchia163911
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SasukeUchia163911 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:43 am

You can have Dingo's as pets and I belive they make good pets, but in the same place they also run free on the wild side so I don't know how they would make as a pet
________________________________________________________________________________________________
We stare at the humans.
They think we are evil.
We're not evil.
We are the wolves and we rule the forest.

alphawolf20
Pup
Pup
Location: Middle School, sitting in the back of the class doing CrAzY stuff with my CrAzY friends!

Post by alphawolf20 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:21 am

I think dingos are amazing and beautiful creatures they might be good pets but they would probebly miss the wide open and free of where they should be.
Rottweiller lover!

..... (\_/)
.(... {, "-;
.)).. /';.\
.((_()'_ \\,,

You may miss me
You may ignore me
You may even forget me
But one day if you want to see me
Don't search, just see your shadow
I will be there..Trust Me!!

Enter the wonderful world of me..

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:18 am

Dingos are really amazing creatures, was my favorite animal when I was little. Dingos are also very alike to the Shiba Inu dog breed (Once I had one called Maya{Though Shiba Inus have a really wide chest and they are really small, when they are little they look more like a fox}). I'll post some good pictures found in google:

Dingo:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images10/DI ... eprowl.jpg
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/s ... /dingo.jpg

Shiba Inu:
http://www.dogsindepth.com/spitz_dog_br ... nu_h04.jpg
http://www.kennels.co.uk/images/U.JapShibaInu.jpg

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:25 pm

Sihba Inus come from Japan are of the Spitz group...like American Eskimo dogs. Their also smaller and more cat like I believe...

Dingos are dogs but just feral or wild acting. Their genetically isolated due to being on an island. Anything that survives in a place where venomous snakes, crocs, spiders, insects, prolonged droughts and whatnot lives earns my respect! Their pretty cool but I`ve never seen one in a zoo.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain