Announcing a New Episode: Tower Fall!

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Announcing Episode 3: Tower Fall!

Post by Rustic » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Forgive me if this makes me sounds stupid but what is DLC?
It is going to be a new purchase, although I believe it'll be DLC adding onto the current game.
Or does it just simply mean what it says at the end of the quote...that it adds onto the current game?

psy
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Jay

Post by psy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:31 pm

Rustic wrote:Forgive me if this makes me sounds stupid but what is DLC?
It is going to be a new purchase, although I believe it'll be DLC adding onto the current game.
Or does it just simply mean what it says at the end of the quote...that it adds onto the current game?
Precisely that! DLC stands for "downloadable content," which is extra content for an existing game. It's kind of like something additional that's large enough to put up for sale like your average game but not enough to stand alone (at least, in some cases). Essentially what you're going to purchase isn't exactly a new WolfQuest game, but rather more content to the preexisting game you've already purchased.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:36 am

@rene-frankie: For what it's worth, there is an in-game "Game News" tab in the account interface while logged-in to a 2.7 game account.

An icon is displayed on the account button, both in-game and on the title/splash screen, as well as the Game News tab itself whenever the game detects a new announcement, so it's hard to miss. I don't think it goes away until you've read the latest entry, but I could be wrong. The latest entry in that tab is "Episode 3 in development!". The link in that announcement redirects to this section of the forums. ;)

The team post each update across multiple locations -- the Steam News hub and their official social media accounts, so anyone who doesn't follow the forums but does have an account on one or more of these sites can still follow for notifications.

...unless you're referring to 2.5, in which case, people still playing that version will have to do the good old fashioned check-the-website-for-updates thing. ^^;
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

7KodaWolf7
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Elliott

Post by 7KodaWolf7 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:47 pm

duskypack wrote:I can say it's been an honor and privilege to be a part of this wonderful community and watch it grow. I'm also glad I finally got a chance to pay for Wolfquest for once since the donations were removed after the 'dreaded announcement' and near-death of the game. 2011-2013 was a hard era but I'm very glad I hung around to see 2.7 and the return of the game. I'm honestly pinching myself because it seemed like this never would happen!

I'm still expecting it to be a good two years before Episode 3 comes out (based on previous release dates), but I do hope to be delightfully proven wrong. I wonder how the game and community will be affected by the new episode, and I hope that Wolfquest doubles in size and becomes even more popular than it was in old.

Do you suppose the march store will reopen? I wouldn't mind wearing a shirt to advertise the game.
I agree with the statement about being honored to be part of this and supporting it! I also wouldn't mind seeing the merchandise come back. I wanted to buy a shirt while it was still sold, but they stopping selling shortly after I discovered their existence. :cry:

Sunset-Light
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Sunset-Light » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Sadly I might or might not be able to get this third episode when it comes out, though I completely understand why it must cost money as I'm aware that pretty much everything in life isn't free. I'm excited to see the development of episode three anyhow, I really wished I'd heard of WolfQuest when the second episode was in the making, but I was younger then and I just wouldn't have. I enjoy seeing the evolution of games, but the evolution of my favorite game? It's a dream come true.

Just a quick question regarding Episode Three, if the DLC is going to have like cow and moose calves included and the other stuff, if they appear in all maps, both in single-player and multiplayer, say there's five people on a Slough Creek server, and only two of them have the DLC. Will those creatures only appear for them, and not for the people who don't have the DLC? And a second part, will people who don't have the DLC be unable to see Tower Fall multiplayer servers?

I apologize if that just seems like a weird question, but I've just been wondering about that for a while.

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Thanks for answering my question as to what DLC is :D

And Sunset-Light I think that's an excellent question...now I'm also wondering the answer as well.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:36 pm

I agree, that IS a good question. Dave?

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Sunset-Light wrote:Sadly I might or might not be able to get this third episode when it comes out, though I completely understand why it must cost money as I'm aware that pretty much everything in life isn't free. I'm excited to see the development of episode three anyhow, I really wished I'd heard of WolfQuest when the second episode was in the making, but I was younger then and I just wouldn't have. I enjoy seeing the evolution of games, but the evolution of my favorite game? It's a dream come true.

Just a quick question regarding Episode Three, if the DLC is going to have like cow and moose calves included and the other stuff, if they appear in all maps, both in single-player and multiplayer, say there's five people on a Slough Creek server, and only two of them have the DLC. Will those creatures only appear for them, and not for the people who don't have the DLC? And a second part, will people who don't have the DLC be unable to see Tower Fall multiplayer servers?

I apologize if that just seems like a weird question, but I've just been wondering about that for a while.
First: We won't be adding ambulatory calves to Slough Creek. There are some technical reasons which we'll explain in a future blog post, but it's also due to timing: Elk and moose calves aren't born until late May/early June. Wolves make the journey to the rendezvous site in early June, so those offspring would not be wandering around as they will be later in the summer in Tower Fall. So that won't be an issue.

But if we do add new stuff that would cause problems in multiplayer (as adding moose did), we now have a way to detect the player's game version and show them only MP games in the lobby which are compatible with their version, and wether they have the new episode or not.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Sunset-Light
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Sunset-Light » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:39 pm

Hm.. That makes sense. Thanks, Dave. :)

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Oh what!! I can't believe I've been away for so long and missed this news. This is amazing. I can't believe how far WQ has come and I'm sooo excited for this new episode!

Will the wolf model be revamped in the new episode?

Paradiigm
Name: Atlas

Post by Paradiigm » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:45 pm

Will there be a free trial version like the second episode? I ma be speaking for some others when I say that I wm not able to purchase the full version of episode 2 so I rely on the trial.

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Hunting elk and moose calves is something I had wanted to do in the game. I also like the idea of the wolf pups growing in size in the next episode. This sounds interesting, do you know if the number of rival packs will remain at three or increase in episode three?

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:04 pm

I'm hoping bison and migrating herd will be implemented as well as rutting elk in the fall just like the male moose and lone bulls as I believe that its during the summer they don't seem to stick around the cows and their calves. or is it spring and summer?

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:13 am

Flamesky wrote:Hunting elk and moose calves is something I had wanted to do in the game. I also like the idea of the wolf pups growing in size in the next episode. This sounds interesting, do you know if the number of rival packs will remain at three or increase in episode three?
While I don't know the answer to that question, there will be a new map so they won't be the same rival packs you're used to.

wolf567
Former WQ Moderator

Post by wolf567 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Thanks for sharing the great news Dave!

Cannot wait to see the updates on episode's 3 development :)

Tower Fall looks amazing - great location choice!
Wolf567 / Blaze