Community and Competition

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Re: Community and Competition

Post by loboLoco » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:56 pm

Ecliptic wrote:
loboLoco wrote:
HollowedWyld wrote:I'm so excited. ^3^

Will there be three versions of this new episode now? PvP, PvC and Raise Pups, or is that what PvC is going to be? So it'll be X amount of players and the NPC pups or just the players?
There'll be three modes:

* Single-Player, with AI mate, pups, and rival packs.
* Multiplayer Co-op: All players in one pack, with AI rival packs.
* Multiplayer Competitive: Players in two packs , each pack raising pups and defending territory.
So does this mean there will be four players in each pack, since the max. is 8 players per server?
Possibly....though we may see if we can increase that a bit.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Ecliptic wrote:So does this mean there will be four players in each pack, since the max. is 8 players per server?
Yes, and the four puppies. Unless they decide to increase the maximum players... Though I dunno if that's gonna happen. So, about eight wolves per pack and four of them will be player-controlled.

SimplyGreenflower
Pup
Pup

Post by SimplyGreenflower » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:12 pm

There was a glitch in the current game actually. I was fooling around in multiplayer mode and ended up going into one of the stranger pack territories (and the game wouldn't let me leave). Then something even more bizarre was that the four wolves actually ran up to me and I could have attacked them...

Just thought to let you guys know.

But dang that still sounds like a challenge. I am guessing that we would not have a second litter of pups born in-game, instead the ending credits would be 'You have found and successfully defended your territory, as well as ensured the survival of your pups. Come next spring a new litter of pups will be born and you and your pack will continue to work hard to ensure their survival."

Huh, that sounds like a good message. I know next to nothing about coding, but will the NPC mate and surviving pups be more...cooperative? The mates are better now (still glitchy but not nearly as bad as before) but they don't react to some things fast enough and for reason they don't seem to realize that if they are coming and you are going, then they should run back to defend the pups (not turn around and run with you).

This may be a repeated question...but what if the game you are using only half one or two or three pups surviving? Will that be taken into account or will we be given four new young adults?

Pegasos
Pup
Pup
Name: Maisa, Masaa

Post by Pegasos » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:34 am

SimplyGreenflower wrote: This may be a repeated question...but what if the game you are using only half one or two or three pups surviving? Will that be taken into account or will we be given four new young adults?
No, died pups will stay died. You're going to continue the game with your pups who has survived up to adults.

Tylercutecat06
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Tyler

Post by Tylercutecat06 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:48 pm

Omg, i can't wait for wolfquest 3.0!!! And so cool that the surviving pups grow up!!! Who hasn't hoped this (wolfquest 3.0) would happen?!

interlunar
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by interlunar » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:47 am

Do you have an idea what the PvP combat system will be?

do you press/hold space to bite an enemy wolf, the same way you attack an elk or coyote (which I think would be fun because it allows you to realistically fight over things like carcasses, and also means that the size of each group is very significant) or will it be a different mechanic?

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:47 pm

I'm curious to know how the 'chat' will work in a multiplayer where players form two packs. As of right now you 'talk' and the whole server hears you. Will this still be the case or will the chats be contained to the pack you are in....not sure if I quite got across the point of the question I was asking....

el wolfo
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by el wolfo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:48 am

Maybe instead of not taking damage from attacks there has to be an official battle going on between to packs for you to take damage? Also maybe duels within packs must be official, like a fight for leadership. :idea:

Also maybe you could tell your mate to stay, defend, hunt, or get food.

Maybe you could separate hunger and health and add in bleeding.

With hydration, maybe in Amethyst there would be only one small pool to drink out of.

it would be cool if maybe once you hunted you could drag carcasses towards your den and maybe even enter the den.

Maybe predators out for a pup snack would not kill pups in one bite always, sometimes they would just lose some of their health dependent on the size and species of the predator.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:49 am

el wolfo wrote:Maybe instead of not taking damage from attacks there has to be an official battle going on between to packs for you to take damage? Also maybe duels within packs must be official, like a fight for leadership. :idea:

Also maybe you could tell your mate to stay, defend, hunt, or get food.

Maybe you could separate hunger and health and add in bleeding.

With hydration, maybe in Amethyst there would be only one small pool to drink out of.

it would be cool if maybe once you hunted you could drag carcasses towards your den and maybe even enter the den.

Maybe predators out for a pup snack would not kill pups in one bite always, sometimes they would just lose some of their health dependent on the size and species of the predator.
Please post ideas for new episodes on this thread.

Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by Pepper » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:06 am

Rustic wrote:I'm curious to know how the 'chat' will work in a multiplayer where players form two packs. As of right now you 'talk' and the whole server hears you. Will this still be the case or will the chats be contained to the pack you are in....not sure if I quite got across the point of the question I was asking....
Yes, there will be a way to chat only within your own pack.
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.

Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup

Post by Lebron BMT » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:41 pm

loboLoco wrote

Of course, we also see plenty of anti-social behavior in abuse reports
Hmm. If anything, it may be wiser to keep pack fighting and competition in single-player. I imagine allowing multiplayer pack fighting would require intensive moderation from you guys. Single-player experiences are much easier to control obviously.

In the end, I really hope you guys do not downplay or reduce the competitive or violent aspects of wolf pack rivalries in the new episode because of the age or sensitivity of some users. Ideally, the competition and the consequences of pack competition will be based on the difficulty level players choose to play on i.e. the likelihood of violent encounters/the size of rival packs/the degree of violence including everything from the animations to the sounds--or whatever it is the new mechanics will be. Hopefully there are advantages to being successful in these encounters too--such as adding dispersals from rival packs to yours/gaining territory/decreasing the number of rival wolves in the area etc.

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:45 pm

Lebron BMT wrote:such as adding dispersals from rival packs to yours
Wolves almost never do that.

Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup

Post by Lebron BMT » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:02 pm

PearlyReborn wrote:
Lebron BMT wrote:such as adding dispersals from rival packs to yours
Wolves almost never do that.
Yea. What I mean by that though is when you are successful in breaking apart a rival pack, you do create a bunch of dispersals. Perhaps you have to have some success eliminating some rivals in the game before the ability to add a dispersal is unlocked is what I was suggesting. Or some sort of benefit related to gameplay if not mission design.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:16 pm

Lebron BMT wrote:Hmm. If anything, it may be wiser to keep pack fighting and competition in single-player. I imagine allowing multiplayer pack fighting would require intensive moderation from you guys. Single-player experiences are much easier to control obviously.

In the end, I really hope you guys do not downplay or reduce the competitive or violent aspects of wolf pack rivalries in the new episode because of the age or sensitivity of some users. Ideally, the competition and the consequences of pack competition will be based on the difficulty level players choose to play on i.e. the likelihood of violent encounters/the size of rival packs/the degree of violence including everything from the animations to the sounds--or whatever it is the new mechanics will be.
To me, this is like saying that the free chat option should come with intensive moderation. It looks like the players now act as their own adequate moderators via reports. People will most likely find ways to be jerks with almost anything, so of course, abuse is to be expected. But I don't see why it should restrict competition to single-player when the majority of players will follow the rules as they do now.

Now, I understand for the sake of age-sensitivity, but I'm not expecting too much violence such as blood and gore. Even still, I respect the game for depicting wildlife as it is to an extent that is both acceptable, but also demonstrates the severity of nature.

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:14 pm

This sounds fun!!

I really like the mention of play-fighting, it sounds like a super fun way to bond with your friends and practice your fighting skills. :) I hope mates in singeplayer will be able to play-fight with you too, and pups when they're big enough. It would cool be if they were able to initiate play-fights with you independently, to make them seem less artificial and more friendly. That would also be a chance to give them personalities. (E.g. one pup tries to play with you more often than the others. In multiplayer, a pup might have a preference for a specific pack member and constantly wants to play with them. That sounds really sweet, haha.)

I wonder how the new spawning system will affect competition, since the elk will always be somewhere on the map for wolves to find. For example, when the elk are grazing in the northern pack's territory, the southern pack would have to:

1) search for a different type of prey: moose, deer, hares
2) risk hunting on enemy territory
3) be reduced to scavenging

All of those options sound fun though, haha. :)
Last edited by Polynesia on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.