Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Re: Announcing WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!

Post by loboLoco » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:45 am

Lebron BMT wrote:No, I understand it was the Minnesota Zoo that created WolfQuest and that it was the Minnesota Zoo that tried to end WolfQuest.
To clarify: I'm actually the only person who has been involved with WolfQuest since the beginning -- not coincidentally, because the game was my idea in the first place, about 15 years ago. In 2005 we partnered with the Minnesota Zoo to get grant funding and develop the game. When funding ran out in 2011, the Zoo continued to support the game at a maintenance level (with Cana doing forum management as part of her zoo staff duties, and with other zoo staff handling COPPA requests)....but that couldn't last forever, and nobody on the team expected that it would.

So yeah, I'm one of the admins who made the plan to shut down the project.

Fortunately, the Google Ads we put on the site allowed us to keep the website and forum running indefinitely, but they (and t-shirt sales and donations) were nowhere near enough to restart game development. Nevertheless, people kept downloading the game, playing the game, and participating on the forums, and in late 2013 I was in a better position to take a risk and try to port the game to iPad. I had no idea how much time and money it would actually take to get 2.7 in shape for release (which is probably a good thing, or I wouldn't have done it). And our financial situation was pretty dire by the time we released 2.7.

Happily, that investment turned out to be a good one, and here we are now, working on the Anniversary Edition and Tower Fall. :D
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

BlackGalaxy
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by BlackGalaxy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:16 am

Yay! I'm so excited Wolf quest is the best game I've ever played! It's realistic, Fun and makes me feel like a real wolf I love wolves I even pretend I'm like one and this game really makes my Day thanks Dave!

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:18 am

I have to say, this is impressive! Never thought WolfQuest would be what it's shaping up to be later in the year and beyond 2018, so it's always nice reading up on the latest development efforts. Glad the "dark age" of WolfQuest is behind us -- anyway, Anniversary Edition is a fitting name! Keep it up eduweb! ^^

Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup

Post by Lebron BMT » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:56 am

loboLoco wrote:
Fortunately, the Google Ads we put on the site
I remember visiting the forums every day after school just to click on some of the Google ads to help keep the site alive. I am sure many other users did as well. In fact, I remember talking about it at one point. :beaver:

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:25 am

Lebron BMT wrote:
loboLoco wrote:
Fortunately, the Google Ads we put on the site
I remember visiting the forums every day after school just to click on some of the Google ads to help keep the site alive. I am sure many other users did as well. In fact, I remember talking about it at one point. :beaver:
I did the same thing. I remember those too.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:52 am

The irony is that I actually discovered Wolfquest during its dark ages. In 2012, I had been looking for virtual animal games to play and encountered Wolfquest. It wasn't until 2013 that I actually downloaded 2.5, but at the time, that game was the best thing I could have discovered. I couldn't imagine it any differently, or in a world where it had been expanded, but here we are, working on Episode 3! The community is so loving and committed--I am so glad to be part of a mass of support that may very well filter into one of the best simulation games of all time.

loboLoco wrote:Happily, that investment turned out to be a good one, and here we are now, working on the Anniversary Edition and Tower Fall. :D
I am so thankful for your risk taking Dave. You made a great choice. <3

Legit, I would love to see a documentary of game development and how you came to possess an idea for a wolf-simulation game.

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:01 pm

So hyped for the Anniversary Edition update!

I discovered this game during the later half of the dark ages and during the time that 2.7 was starting to become a thing,
so it's just really exciting to see that 2.7 was successful and has grown into this!

7KodaWolf7
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Elliott

Post by 7KodaWolf7 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:31 pm

This is awesome news! I'm looking forward to the release of everything that is going to be released! :D

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Isela » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:29 am

It's amazing and inspiring to see how far WolfQuest has come over the years. Looking forward to the Anniversary Edition! <3

psy
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Jay

Post by psy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:37 am

WolfQuest has seen its dark ages before, and I'm so happy to see that it's moving on and drastically progressing with the help of a determined team and a supportive online community. The Anniversary Edition sounds awesome so far, and I can't wait to see how it works out!

Kaioh
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Kaioh » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:18 pm

Wonderful news! I wish you all luck in building the newest additions and thank you for all that you do.

Sableback
Pup
Pup

Post by Sableback » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:47 pm

Really looking forward to the new features. I'm so happy WolfQuest made it this far!

Wolfwind

Post by Wolfwind » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:53 pm

As for the admins, they're professionals and I'm sure they all did the best they could with the resources and information they had at the time. I think it's best to remember that they all had a hand in creating or maintaining this wonderful game and community. I'm grateful to them for that :)
Anyway, aaaa that lighting is amazing!! I can't wait to run around as a wolf in a gorgeous scene like that. Even more so if the time change is dynamic, as the sun movement there seems to hint :D Ditto on those saying there's usually differences between mobile and desktop games, I think it's perfectly fine if mobile is lacking some features. If dynamic day/night cycle could be problematic for multiplayer games, maybe games with users from both platforms could detect that and be restricted to only manual change?

The new howl animation is beautiful too! :wolf:

ClownfishtheDJ
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Emygra or Mist
Location: Howling with the wolves, grazing with the elk and deer, and adventuring with the coyotes in MT.

Post by ClownfishtheDJ » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:18 am

Wow! This update looks amazing, hehe! Was that the sun in the background rising? Oh my goodness! I've been watching and playing Wolf Quest since 2012-2013, and like I said in a previous post, I never thought Wolf Quest was going to come back. But it did, thanks to this strong, brave and encouraging community, and Dave taking that risk to bring back Wolf Quest. Which brings us here, with Wolf Quest v.2.7.1: Anniversary Edition. How Wolf Quest was in the pits, and is now going to finally be able to celebrate it's 10yr. Anniversary with an UPDATE! Why y'all got me more excited than a wolf pup catching its first snack! Or a wolf when it finds it's mate, or- okay, that's enough :D . I think I might do a 2pic collage of Wolf Quest v2.5 to Wolf Quest: Anniversary Edition, hehe!

(P.s: Are y'all going to open up the Wolf Quest store again? Perhaps think about a week trial for the anniversary? Just a thought!)

Never give up on the things you love the most!

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:04 am

ClownfishtheDJ wrote:Wow! This update looks amazing, hehe! Was that the sun in the background rising? Oh my goodness! I've been watching and playing Wolf Quest since 2012-2013, and like I said in a previous post, I never thought Wolf Quest was going to come back. But it did, thanks to this strong, brave and encouraging community, and Dave taking that risk to bring back Wolf Quest. Which brings us here, with Wolf Quest v.2.7.1: Anniversary Edition. How Wolf Quest was in the pits, and is now going to finally be able to celebrate it's 10yr. Anniversary with an UPDATE! Why y'all got me more excited than a wolf pup catching its first snack! Or a wolf when it finds it's mate, or- okay, that's enough :D . I think I might do a 2pic collage of Wolf Quest v2.5 to Wolf Quest: Anniversary Edition, hehe!

(P.s: Are y'all going to open up the Wolf Quest store again? Perhaps think about a week trial for the anniversary? Just a thought!)

Never give up on the things you love the most!
Just a small correction: The Anniversary edition is going to be WolfQuest 3.0 (as far as version numbers go).

Glad to hear your excited...I'm excited too! :D