It's a Whole New Herd

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

It's a Whole New Herd

Post by loboLoco » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:56 pm

In Yellowstone, a wolf’s world revolves around elk. While wolves may not care about aesthetics, we know that our players do, and that’s why we’ve been working on a new set of elk models.

[youtube]ifYdpU0wyNA[/youtube]
Video Link: https://youtu.be/ifYdpU0wyNA

These new elk will populate bigger and more realistic herds in the game, featuring not only bull and cow elk but also calves and “spikes” — yearling bulls who’ve just begun to grow antlers.

For even more realism, herd size and composition will vary from season to season. Herds are biggest in the summer, with cows and calves and a few spikes. In the fall, bull elk bugle and engage in brutal fights with each other to demonstrate their prowess and hopefully lead a herd. Yes, you will see elk fights! And throughout the year, don’t be surprised to come across small herds of bachelor bulls, biding their time. You’ll need to be especially hungry or desperate to take them on!

(And yes, the video gives you a peek at the new Amethyst environment, still in progress.)
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Re: It's a Whole New Herd

Post by duskypack » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:04 pm

The new models are gorgeous and truly idyllic - there's so much more detail and fluid movement instead of just stiff and constant grazing. I'm also really excited to hear about the bachelor bands of bull elk and the spikes as well as those adorable calves. This huge update is reminding me of that old Midnight Pass rumor (the calves and whatnot - not the werewolves) except that it really seems to be turning into something even better. It's wonderful watching Wolfquest turn into a truly accurate representation of life as a wolf in Yellowstone - from the daily life to the scenery as well as the other wildlife. I also really love the clouds, they're really smooth and pleasing to watch. It's such a treat getting these posts every week, they're a highlight of my day! ^_^

wolfhunter2230
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: wolfie

Post by wolfhunter2230 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Omg this look amazing can't wait great job developers

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:13 pm

These posts are quite the highlight of a dreary college student's life! the elk calf's little jump melted my heart <3 I cant wait to see these guys in action its going to be so much harder to kill them now. Marvelous job you guys! It's amazing just to see how far you've come with very little back in 2007 all the way to now. I'm so proud, the realism you guys are implementing is phenomenal!! I bet this would be the highest quality in game, would computers that run the game now with little to no lag on fantastic be able to run it like this?
Last edited by Wolvencall on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunset-Light
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Sunset-Light » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:17 pm

Oh my goodness, it's gorgeous...

I recently watched the documentary "The Rise of Black Wolf", and seeing that, now this... I just don't have any words.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:24 pm

Woah. That looks so good. Smooth animations & good looking models (it seems that only the bull elk is blinking, though?), great textures that look (almost) photorealistic, fur fuzz on the elk, moving clouds in the background...

Kinda makes me wish there was an ElkQuest.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Oh my!

The smoothness of the models and animations really breath life into these animals! The wilds of WolfQuest are expanding into a beautiful, hyper realistic microcosm that I feel will reflect wildlife in Yellowstone with an accuracy that is off the charts. The old elk models don't even compare! Each new post is like receiving a present! It just gets more and more exciting as time draws on!

(I'm screaming with joy! Those calves are precious!)

Rainbywolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Rainbywolf » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:11 pm

Wow! Those models look great!

So cool seeing all this new stuff :3

Ecliptic
Pup
Pup

Post by Ecliptic » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Wow, the animations are incredibly smooth. Just look at that calf run! Back when I heard that there were going to be new elk models, I thought it would be impossible to have better models, but I was wrong! Somehow it's even better than the first, and it's so realistic too.

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:14 pm

Oh. My gosh.
If those are elk, than I have no idea what we have been hunting up until now!
They are beautiful beyond words. I can't believe how incredible they look!!! Will those stunning new textures be available on most/all of the graphics levels? I'm concerned about my computer's ability to handle renders like that, unless the performance has been otherwise streamlined, so I certainly hope everyone will be able to enjoy such amazing textures.
Honestly I can't believe how far WQ is advancing... it is becoming the best iteration ever released.

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:07 am

Oh wow this is looking great, I'm loving the look of the new elk models, the animations are so smooth and much better then the old grazing movements. It is going to be a massive transition from the now elk herds of maybe nine cow elk and a bull elk, to more of a mixture of different ages and gender. The gameplay is going to be so much more tense when hunting, I'm very much looking forwards to the new additions of WolfQuest but I am a little concerned my iPad may not be able to handle the game. (Is it just me or does it look as though the bull elk in the front is laying down?)
Last edited by ViperBrains on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arcturus221B
Pup
Pup
Name: Arcturus

Post by Arcturus221B » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:30 am

These elk look absolutely stunning! The current ones look quite bad compared to these beauties :'D I can't wait to see them in-game

I have to ask though, will these elk have turning animations? Unlike the current elk and moose.

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:08 am

They're lovely! Loving that you're including "spikes". Golly, I'm getting excited just thinking about trying out the new hunting mechanics!

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:21 pm

Those new models are beautiful! I'm utterly excited! <3

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:23 pm

My jaw actually dropped! The new elk look incredibly realistic and fluid and I am so excited that the herd dynamics will be more complex and authentic. Also the small glimpse of the new AM map is STUNNING! I can't believe the amount of detail in the ground. I'm so so excited to see more.
I have to say, it seems the development of Episode 3 is going by very fast!