The Fate of the Mate

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Fate of the Mate (read below first!)

Mate can never die.
2%
Mate can die and it's permanent.
16%
Mate can die but you can revive it once -- but killed again before recovering, that death is permanent.
8%
All of the above, depending on difficulty level.
73%

Total votes: 299

xc92u3

Re: The Fate of the Mate

Post by xc92u3 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Can you choose a personality for YOUR wolf? Or is it just the way you play? I vote D. :D

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:33 pm

Wow this is an awesome idea that I never considered becoming part of the game. I'm all for it though I voted for the last option of it being attached to difficulty level because I can see this being frustrating for new or young players. I currently have two, seven year old nieces who like to play and they,for example, wouldn't get this concept.

If not attached to difficulty setting, would be nice to have it as an additional setting, again for the reasons I mentioned above.

One question regarding this new mechanic...what will happen to games imported from 2.7? Will our existing mates also receive this new personalities?

Keppostelija
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Trickster

Post by Keppostelija » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:54 am

D seems the best, would make ''Bring It On'' mode even harder. After every idea and sneak peek we seem to get, im getting more and more excited for this!

Noala
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Calci

Post by Noala » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:38 am

“All of the above based on game difficulty” fits more people’s playing preferences which makes it more fun.
Bring it on when I want a real challenge but when a new friend joins they can learn the ropes with easy.
But whatever you guys do is always awesome, gonna enjoy it regardless of the decision.

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Isela » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:43 pm

I chose option D as I feel that would have a more appropriate age range. Working at the International Wolf Center granted the opportunity to view kids and other guests play WQ. There were some that were able to grasp the controls relatively quickly, but others had a much harder time and required assistance, even adult family members who were trying to help their child play the game. I feel that having your mate die permanently on the easier difficulty levels would just make them all the more difficult, especially for younger kids or beginners who are just starting out.

I do like the idea of being able to toggle "permanent mate death" on and off if you want an easier difficulty level, but want to play the game based more on realism. If this would ever be possible to code and integrate into the game, this is the option I'd be for the most.

Hazelflower
Pup
Pup
Name: Hazel

Post by Hazelflower » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:04 pm

I support Isela`s idea. Though personally I would never want my mate to be invincible.

wolfadore
Pup
Pup

Post by wolfadore » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:04 am

I say let the mate die and it be permanent, but don't have it just kill itself. It must be smart! On easier levels, make it harder for it die, as well.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:41 pm

wolfadore wrote:On easier levels, make it harder for it die, as well.
Perhaps by giving it more health? That's a good idea

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:13 pm

[quote="wolfadore"]I say let the mate die and it be permanent.

I think D is the famous one, which supports all of them in case you change your mind. What if you had a very bad day, then your mate died. BLEGH WHAT A BAD DAY. I like to play Pretty Easy with pups, but I think having my mate die would be kind of new, and I'd want to try it out of course.

AleuAleta
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by AleuAleta » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:12 pm

I voted for Permadeath, but I like the idea of being able to choose - I just don't want to have to constantly play on "BRING IT ON!" for that added element of story, you know? So it would be awesome if that could be an independent setting.

Mozzarella
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Mozzarella » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:12 am

I support the idea that mate mortality would be an additional setting. I'll be fine with whatever is implemented, but I think that would make the most people happy.

0927CanisLupus0927
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by 0927CanisLupus0927 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:35 pm

I had a hard time with this one (I was definitely not going to vote for "never dies" #offthelist). Sometimes, I like the mate I have. Sometimes I don't (how cruel). I think that "D" was one of the best options. I think they are good options (with an exception to A: never dies) for the new episode. But, here is another reason that I want the mate to die (haha):
They have no sense of personality. They constantly follow you like dogs chasing a Bacon strip you'd just thrown. Its like their only objective is to follow you. Could you make it so that your mate can wander, be able to do things, and still come back (oh, and let them hunt on their own while you protect your pups!). That would be a HUGE change! Thanks!

wolfquest2626
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolfquest2626 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:53 am

All the options sound good. I love the idea of you being able to get a new mate if your current mate dies. Mates having personalities sounds awesome! personalities and permanent death adds so much more detail and realism to the game. I think option C or D would be best. I voted for C. I like the idea of a mix of C and D too. With C your mate can die but be revived; with D it is all of the above options of never die, permanent death, die with revive or depends on difficulty. An idea I had of an example of mix of these two would be on easy and intermediate levels your mate can die once but be revived and on harder levels the death is permanent. I don't like the idea of your mate being invincible and never able to die, its unrealistic.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:44 am

0927CanisLupus0927 wrote:I had a hard time with this one (I was definitely not going to vote for "never dies" #offthelist). Sometimes, I like the mate I have. Sometimes I don't (how cruel). I think that "D" was one of the best options. I think they are good options (with an exception to A: never dies) for the new episode. But, here is another reason that I want the mate to die (haha):
They have no sense of personality. They constantly follow you like dogs chasing a Bacon strip you'd just thrown. Its like their only objective is to follow you. Could you make it so that your mate can wander, be able to do things, and still come back (oh, and let them hunt on their own while you protect your pups!). That would be a HUGE change! Thanks!
Don't worry. According to Dave, mates will be receiving new personalities!
loboLoco wrote:Because in WolfQuest 3, your mate will have a personality! Some mates will be bold, some humble. Some social and some are loners. Some energetic and some lazy. We’re building much more naturalistic version of the social arena (I’ll share more about that in a future blog post), and in those interactions you can get a sense of each prospective mates’ personalities — though as with any partnership, you don’t discover everything at first… Your mate’s personality will affect how it hunts, how it interacts with you, with pups, and with the rest of the world.

resanfray
Pup
Pup

Post by resanfray » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:41 pm

• Personally, I don't want my mate to die!
      I like having them as a partner and companion for in game and appreciate the help in the chase of an elk.
      Also, I'm very choosy with my mates so I wouldn't want them to die and I have to look super hard for a specific coat color.

I think we should be able to set the mate's life force on it's own, not just by game difficulty. I play on the hardest mode possible
      and I don't want my companion going out on me unless I really have that set up.

Also just for curiosity sake, when a wolf takes on a new mate... doesn't the previous puppy litter get killed by the new mate?
      So what would happen to our puppers?