The Fate of the Mate

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Fate of the Mate (read below first!)

Mate can never die.
2%
Mate can die and it's permanent.
16%
Mate can die but you can revive it once -- but killed again before recovering, that death is permanent.
8%
All of the above, depending on difficulty level.
73%

Total votes: 299

Goldenfallflower
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Aurum

Re: The Fate of the Mate

Post by Goldenfallflower » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:00 am

Out of these options, i would vote D, but i think the idea of having the choice to revive your mate or let it die would be the best option.

Black Burn
Name: BB for short

Post by Black Burn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:13 pm

I think your mate should be able to die and its permanent, but really hard for them to die, it's more realistic, and I love that the mates will have personalitys this will make
Finding a mate more fun, thank you WQ Team.

Invar
Pup
Pup

Post by Invar » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:35 am

I'd let you revive your mate as often as you want, or let it be dead, independent of difficulty levels.

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:23 pm

Once mates die, they should remain dead permanently. It would add a realistic sense of caution in players, especially since mates will have personalities and players are more likely to become attached. Allowing mates to be revived may cause players to use their mate's revival, and ability to attack prey, to take down animals like moose by simply reviving them over and over. Even adding option C's constraint, revival removes any realistic sense of danger or risk. Death is a part of life, and if mates die, that should be it.
Edit, concerning posts discussing the difficulty of surviving alone afterwards~ You'd find a new mate. It isn't as though you get one mate, and then if she/he dies you're stuck by yourself. Death would only add a reasonable sense of fear and caution. But I do agree that the mate AI would need to be altered in order for this to not be frustrating- mates getting stuck attacking elk/not being able to get away, and all.
Last edited by Noctis_ on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thirteen889184
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by thirteen889184 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:37 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the idea of having the mate die permanently. It's more realistic, yeah, but unless it was hard for your mate to die or you were able to get a new one if your mate did die, I think that it would lessen the fun of the game. I feel like it is different than with pups, because with the pups, you can feed them, protect them, etc. With your mate, you can't really force them to eat, and sometimes the mates are stupid, lol. So unless the mates are a lot smarter and death is rare, I'd prefer the option of the mate being able to regenerate at least once if they die. Or having it dependent on difficulty level, because then users who would rather their mates not being able to die could play on the easy mode.

resanfray
Pup
Pup

Post by resanfray » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Invar wrote:I'd let you revive your mate as often as you want, or let it be dead, independent of difficulty levels.
I'm with Invar. I think it should be individual setting. I like to play hard games, but I don't want to loose my mate most of the time. Unless I really felt like playing a game of chance.

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:05 pm

I think that would add an extra challenge to the game. I have a concern that this feature would alter the hunting dynamics. If the mate died permanently, it would make hunting large prey like bull elk and bull and cow moose even more dangerous and risky than it is. How would you be able to hunt these animals? Mates automatically keep attacking the prey until their health runs out. Even if they were stopped somehow, they'd still be in the attacking range of the elk. In 2.7 the mate just runs off in the direction of a carcass, and then runs back to you with replenished health.

If you howled or did something to intervene, he/she would still be in the way of the elk and die. So the mate's AI would have to change somehow to allow you to hunt dangerous prey. Maybe the mate would just run away once the health dropped to a certain level, but he/she could still die if there were no carcasses nearby. If mates died, would the hunting system be changed also?

alleykat3000
Pup
Pup

Post by alleykat3000 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:39 pm

This is actually a cool feature in the game, because since the last Wolfquest (2.7) has mates that don't die unlike the name game and the older games do. Good job WQ team, and keep up the good work!!! :D :D :D

DispersedHowl100
Pup
Pup
Name: Frost

Post by DispersedHowl100 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:20 am

I think it would be cool if you can turn having your mate die :wolf:

wolf8484
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolf8484 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:06 pm

As many have said before on this post, I think mate death settings should be separate from the overall game difficulty. I would like to experience mate deaths because it's more realistic and better for the story mode in my opinion. But I wouldn't want the whole game to be difficult just because I would like my mate to have a chance of dying.
But, you can choose to revive your mate or not, right? So in the case of wanting to play a lower difficulty but want it to be realistic, you can just choose not to revive it. I think that's what you meant by that option, but I'm sticking to D for now.

Lone_Howler
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Lone_Howler » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:07 am

I agree with the people who said that the mare can die, but it should be able to be reversed, according to the settings

ZenveraLore
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ZenveraLore » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:57 pm

I voted for the "Mate can die and it will be permanent" But I think The reviving option is the same thing. If they die, you have the option to look for a new mate, or revive your mate. If you do choose to look for a new mate, and if it appears to be difficult. Or if you just miss your mate, you revive him/her! So this option can also be never used, and discarded, right? So you can choose to revive you mate or not in the game. (P.S I will obviously look for a new mate, since I've never used this mechanic of finding a new mate in WolfQuest! :) )

Siblaime
Pup
Pup

Post by Siblaime » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:33 am

Imho it should depend on the difficulty level. The easiest one? Mate is immortal. The medium one? You can revive the mate once or twice, then you have to deal without him/her or find a new mate. And on the hardest level the mate can die permanently just like the pups. It's the best option, the less experienced players won't have to deal with a problem "omg my mate is dead, what should I do now", and players who like something difficult and more realistic can play on a level where mate can die.

athelas
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: waylon

Post by athelas » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:05 pm

I chose all of the above (based on difficulty level). For new players or really anyone just wanting to get used to the new gameplay, having to take care of an entire litter of pups by yourself can prove to be too difficult on top of everything else. So, for the easiest difficulty, mate is immortal. Makes the gameplay more relaxed and puts less pressure on the player to care not only for their own wolf, but also their mate's health and, eventually, the pups' lives.

Alternatively, there could just be an option to make your mate mortal/immortal in the game settings. If you set it so that your mate can die, but then later you decide that you don't want to go through the process of finding a new mate (or, you're just attached to your current mate and don't want them to die), you can make them immortal, and vice versa.

For finding a new mate, I have a couple ideas.

First off, if you don't like your current mate's personality, maybe there could be an option to chase them off? Then they would be out of the picture and you could find a mate that better suits your idea for how you want your mate to be, without having to get your mate killed.

Second, and this might be an unpopular suggestion, but maybe if your mate dies (or is chased off), you can welcome a same gender wolf as your mate or companion. Homosexuality has been observed in grey wolves in the wild! Although you can't produce more pups with them, obviously, they offer companionship to your wolf, and a second parent to your pups. In this case, you would need to have a mate of the opposite gender at first in order to have a litter of pups, but once the pups are weaned (if your wolf is a male - young pups need mother's milk, obviously), it's fair game to find new love!

Alternatively to this, you could welcome a friendly wolf, same gender or not, into the pack. Wolves do welcome close friends and family into their packs. That way you'd still have a breeding pair, but also another companion (or love interest) for your wolf, and either of them could die or be chased off at any time.

alebrije
Yearling
Yearling

Post by alebrije » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:48 pm

I voted “all of the above,” as I understand that your mate has a personality of its own, and could end up dying due to some actions it may make!
I don’t think the player to go through their journey alone though. Perhaps not reviving your mate as that’s not realistic, but finding another dispersal wolf that can take over the role as your mate.