When When When?

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

When When When?

Post by loboLoco » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:49 pm

[youtube]Fr0H0D9X5Kk[/youtube]
Video link:

It’s almost 2018! Everyone wants to know: When will WolfQuest 3 be released? (and where’s Tower Fall?) The short answer is: 2018. But no release month is set yet (though it's not imminent).

Why the moving date? When we started work on Tower Fall, we thought we could have it done by the end of 2017. But then we decided to dig in and create a complete remake of WolfQuest. That mean a fresh start on the codebase to create a modern foundation for the game. Still, we thought we could have that done by the end of 2017 (or even early 2018). Neither expectation has come true, unfortunately.

That’s the bad news. The good news is the reason why: As you’ve seen in our weekly blog posts over the past four months, we really are making a bigger and better version of WolfQuest. We’re rethinking and redesigning each system of the game, from the wolf-controller to stranger wolves (both hostile and potentially friendly) to hunting mechanics to elk herding behaviors. We’re making vastly larger and more realistic maps. There will be new and improved 3D animal models and animations living in a world of more realistic terrain and flora. And each of these has, naturally, taken far more time than we had optimistically imagined.

So where are we at with development? We’ve built all the new core game systems, and some of the secondary systems. Now we are weaving all those systems together to create the actual game. Doing that often triggers some revision and refactoring of the code, but we are making good progress to get the game basically playable. To speed things up, we’re bringing on another full-time programmer to help Tommi build out those secondary systems and integrate them into the whole thing.Then of course comes testing, tweaks and bugfixing, and more testing before release.

So…when? When it’s ready. But as our wolf above indicates, there’s too much uncertainty to give a specific release date yet. (That new emote is called “airplane ears.” It expresses uncertainty.)

If you have questions, we encourage you to first read past blog posts and see the FAQs at WolfQuest.org/blog.  Scan the comments first and see if you find your answer. We really don’t mind player questions, of course, but the more time we can spend making the game, the sooner you will get to play it.  

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement, patience, and community spirit. We know it is hard to wait. (It’s hard for us too!) This next year is going to be a very busy one and we are so excited for the launch of WolfQuest 3, followed by Tower Fall. We wish everyone a Happy New Year!

• 10 May 2018
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=84161
loboLoco wrote:Do you have a release date yet? I can’t wait!
Sorry, no. We’re still in the thick of development. It’s been 15 months now since we announced Tower Fall, and nine months since we announced WQ3. Back then, we certainly expected to have released *something* by now. But we originally had a pretty narrow scope for WQ3 (basically a rebuild of 2.7) and we felt pretty confident that we could get that done by the end of 2017....but as we worked on it, we kept thinking of ways to make the game substantially better -- truly the next generation of WolfQuest. We are improving many things, both large (like the maps) and small (like the IK system, which turned out to be not-so-small after all). And we’re redesigning every aspect of the game (Tommi spent a week in March just creating the new AI for cougars at carcasses) and that has ripple effects throughout the whole development process.

In short, both the game scope and the release date have been moving targets, which is frustrating for everybody -- including us, who have all the reasons in the world (including financial) to finish and release WQ3 and then Tower Fall as soon as possible. But we don’t expect to release anything before the fall, alas. If we could go back in time, we might have announced WQ3 as a remake with no mention of a deadline. We really appreciate everyone's patience. We'll get there. And we do think it will be worth it.

xc92u3

Re: When When When?

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:28 pm

Wooooow! That wolf looked REALLY good! Yes, I have been asking this question and so has many others, when will it be released when it's the new year?
That was so cool! The wolf looks real! And HOORAY! A new emote! Happy new year to you too!
Last edited by xc92u3 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Weylenn
Pup
Pup

Post by Weylenn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:31 pm

Are you guys using IK rigs for the legs? Or just standard animation?

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:53 pm

The wolf model looks adorable!

I'll wait as patiently as I have to.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:21 pm

What a beautiful wolf model! The animations have me tingling with joy. Absolutely stunning. It's so amazing to see how much the new model has changed! I love it. I'll wait a million years just for a model like that. <3

SheWolf17
Pup
Pup
Name: SheWolf

Post by SheWolf17 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:07 pm

Well, I thought that this video would take my doubts about the release date, but not :lol:
Even so, I loved the new model (First, I just thought it was a "fake" model, but it's not!) Very cute, and also the new emotes :mrgreen:
Congratulations to all of you!

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:35 pm

I love how the wolf responds to the questions. :lol: The play animation is so vastly improved, I love it so much!!

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:27 am

The wild helicopter tail with the playful emote is adorable, I love it so much. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be able to wait until the full releases of Anniversary Edition and Towerfall come out, but I'll try and contain my excitment.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:16 am

Weylenn wrote:Are you guys using IK rigs for the legs? Or just standard animation?
Yes, IK for legs and also for head (when biting etc). Though the model above doesn't have those set up.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Shiranuiii
Name: Shiranui

Post by Shiranuiii » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:33 am

• the model looks so adorable !

cannot wait for the game, no rush, it's gonna be great !!

wolf567
Former WQ Moderator

Post by wolf567 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Thanks for the update Dave! I know the wait will be well worth it :)
Wolf567 / Blaze

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:28 pm

The new model and animations look amazing! It will be worth the wait!

Whirl-Oakpaw
Pup
Pup

Post by Whirl-Oakpaw » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:57 pm

Really looking forward to the release, but I understand that it takes time to make what is basically a whole new game.

I hope that you guys will continue to make more behind the scenes videos showing more of the development process. It's nice to see the finished product, but it's also incredibly fun to see things that are still being worked on, like improving the terrain, testing the animal AI, and all of the things that we don't see in the finished game but are going on "under the hood". I love seeing that kind of stuff, even if the features being shown are still buggy or unpolished compared to other parts of the game. I even prefer it to seeing the finished product at times!

Thanks you guys for all the hard work you're putting into making these new editions of Wolfquest.

Weylenn
Pup
Pup

Post by Weylenn » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:39 pm

loboLoco wrote:
Weylenn wrote:Are you guys using IK rigs for the legs? Or just standard animation?
Yes, IK for legs and also for head (when biting etc). Though the model above doesn't have those set up.
Omg omg, can we see examples of it next week? :D

Riu123
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: sophia

Post by Riu123 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:18 am

I thought Dave would be another of the biggest wq game's programmer with Tommi. But the new model looks awesome!