A Very Limber Wolf

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Selvin novaraptor
Pup
Pup
Name: Nova

Re: A Very Limber Wolf

Post by Selvin novaraptor » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:15 pm

loboLoco wrote:[youtube]wWJjS9NnrIA[/youtube]
Video link:

For a 3D game, job one is creating a persuasive illusion of the game-world. We’ve got many techniques to help us do that, but if any of them fail, the illusion is broken. If you’re lucky, at least you get a funny blooper video out of it. Today’s blooper is courtesy the wolf’s IK system.

“IK” stands for “Inverse Kinematics” and in games, it usually refers the system used to make a character connect realistically to the world. For example, a “walk” animation typically assumes that the character is walking on flat ground. But of course, the ground is often not flat — especially in Yellowstone! With a good IK system, the feet recognize the actual ground and adjust their movements accordingly, whether going uphill or downhill or laterally along a slope. When it works, it makes the character’s movements much more believable. When it doesn’t, the feet can’t find the ground, so they go…other places.

There are some great tools for IK, but they’re designed for bipeds. Quadrupeds are special cases, and often rather uncooperative. Last year we configured a pretty good IK setup on our wolf. But it had a few problems, and they got worse rather than better as we tried to refine them, possibly exacerbated by changes in recent versions of Unity. We finally decided to try another tool, called Bio IK, which promises more organic IK techniques. Unfortunately, it’s not a simple swap-in replacement. Sigh. So we’re digging in to figure out how to revise our system to work with this new IK tool. We’re optimistic, but it’s another example of why we should never utter the words “coming soon” during development. We are in the noses-to-the-grindstone period where it is hard to see progress on some days. But we know that it will all come together!

On a more positive note, we’ve got the first of our two new programmers up and running with the project. Andrei, who is from Brazil, began by writing some editor scripts to manage terrain elements and is now working secondary systems for music and weather. Please give Andrei a warm welcome!
Make all these bloopy bugs happen in LR please. Now floppy and soon Limby!

44wolfquest
Pup
Pup

Post by 44wolfquest » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:27 pm

Floppy moose finally has a floppy friend. I hope Limber Wolf and Floppy Moose get along! :D
(`*°•._(`°•._*+*_.•°`)_.•°*`)
For the strength of a pack
Is the wolf,
°•.• WolfQuest •.•°
But the strength of the wolf
Is the pack
(·(·(·(·•·)·)·)·)

Signature by Black Burn

Sableback
Pup
Pup

Post by Sableback » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:24 pm

This made my day. :) Limber Wolf and floppy moose need to be a little easter egg in there.
Also, welcome to the WQ team, Andrei!

MajesticWolfs
Yearling
Yearling

Post by MajesticWolfs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Looks like someones been aspiring to become a contortionist.

Kitsuma
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Kitsuma » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:47 am

Despite being awkward, I was glad to see the model in motion. It makes the changes to it look even better and makes me even more excited!

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Re: A Very Limber pangolin

Post by Noctis_ » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:12 pm

Woah, wait- when'd the new wolf model come about? This is what I get for not logging on in months. Anyhow, it looks really awesome, the face in particular. And I'm glad the wolves' movement is being adjusted to react to terrain, that's something I'd been suggesting since before WQ 3 began development.

ShadowOkamiMT
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Shadow

Post by ShadowOkamiMT » Sun May 13, 2018 1:36 am

This looks hilarious! I am sure you will be fixing that before the release so I don't think you needed to add that at the end. But good video it kind of made my mood a bit better XD

DispersedHowl100
Pup
Pup
Name: Frost

Post by DispersedHowl100 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:25 am

HAHA!!! I laughed at this so hard! :lol: