New Tricks for the Pack: Improving MP functionality

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

resanfray
Pup
Pup

Re: New Tricks for the Pack: Improving MP functionality

Post by resanfray » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:01 am

TimberRaven wrote:
Hematite wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:Here's a thought that just popped into my head-- maybe you wouldn't need the whole pack to rally, but just the majority of players. It's really annoying when one person goes AFK and then you can't rally at all. It'd be nice if you just needed the majority-- you could still rally if you needed to in most cases that way...
I'm seconding this idea!

I also really like the idea, it would make rallying so much easier. When I host hunting servers, I always like to rally as it makes hunting feel a little more fun. But when lots of players join, there are often players running off to different hunting grounds, going inactive or just ignoring my request, even when I tell them all they have to do to rally is play bow twice.
Yes, that would be better. Some people just howl too slowly or they play bow 1,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times and I'm thinking DUDE, STOP.

Along with the idea of the rally, there should be an AFK mode where the player can set and their wolf would lay down like it's sleeping and their name tag could turn black.
While in this mode they wouldn't be needed for a rally and they can simply return to game like normal by pressing the same afk mode button in settings or a hot key.

Rustic, Someone, Invar wrote:Make the colour of a wolf's hover-text name settable by the player. Make that wolf's scent trail the same colour as its name.
--

I love this idea as a way to represent different scents, as in reality scents, even if different wolves is unique...however in terms of game functionality it could potentially get confusing if a player were to choose a scent color that already existed in the game (ex elk is pink)
--

Yeah. It's even more of a problem with more different kinds of non-wolf animals around. BUT your comment made me realize: wolf-scent clouds/motes/tracks could be colour+sparkle-effect or pulse-effect or summat.
This idea is really cool too, but I think they should be colors chosen from a set of colors, since not all the colors will be easy to see against the map floating above our wolf's head. We could stay in the same range of stuff that would fit and not clash with the other animal scents. Perhaps there is a set color coordinate. The host gets a purple color, the second player to enter gets a yellow, and so on.

I think players having their own scent color is a great idea and it sounds super fun. I think during the pack vs pack game play each pack should have their own scent. The first pack would be the wolfquest yellow/gold and then the secondary pack could be silver/blue.

Personally it's difficult to distinguish who said what in chat because the only thing that separates the name from what someone says is a colon. We should bold the names or as was above, let them have colors.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:47 am

I definitely agree with the rally and afk ideas!

Invar
Pup
Pup

Post by Invar » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Some method of allowing players to check others for a readable profile of wolf character's gender, age, notes, as RP chat is pretty constantly interrupted by requests for this information.

Also, maybe 'local chat' tab, where only the other wolves within x-radius of your own can hear you. Etc - Global/Your-Pack-Only (for multi-pack games)/Nearby tabs.

airbones
Name: Razza

Post by airbones » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:47 pm

Invar wrote:Also, maybe 'local chat' tab, where only the other wolves within x-radius of your own can hear you. Etc - Global/Your-Pack-Only (for multi-pack games)/Nearby tabs.
I'd really love if this was implemented, especially now that the maps have expanded so much. And if the "rally" feature is kept in future versions of the game and we had the ability to make groups within servers, it would be useful if you only needed your group/pack nearby to rally.

Figero11
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Figero11 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:10 am

The ability to start a vote to kick a player if the host is not available or does not know how to do it.
Someone said local rallies that work with those around you instead of everyone in the map.
This one may be a little questionable but the ability to place markers that other players can see. This way you can mark the safe places in the river or designated places in a roleplay (Like a territory boundary or safe meeting place). While yes, wolves don't have magical markers they use to show their pack something they also don't have pop-up hints or cutscenes that show them approaching predators. A lot of players have trouble crossing the river safely with their pups and markers would help them to learn what is deep and what isn't, especially since its hard to tell in the game if you don't test it first.
Servers being able to have rules that a player could read before joining, and if they don't agree then it saves them time and they don't have to join. People often argue over rules.
Some people get very in-depth with the Bios/desc of their wolves and I was thinking maybe the room for the bio could be longer, maybe about the size of 2-3 text boxes in the game
An afk mode so you don't have to announce it to everyone, and people will know not to leave pups with you because you aren't there.
Colored scent trails may be helpful escpecially in Pack vs Pack when you would want to tell them apart
Occasionally two people will join a game and have the same name so maybe the second person to join gets a little (2) next to their name or a colored name to differentiate. Usually the second player has to leave and change their name.
More space per server, if the host can handle it. A lot of times I get invited to private games but they are full so I cant join it.

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:31 pm

Figero11 wrote: Servers being able to have rules that a player could read before joining, and if they don't agree then it saves them time and they don't have to join. People often argue over rules.
People shouldn't be arguing over rules. There is already a set of multiplayer rules, and no game should have their own separate set that conflicts with MP game rules. Hosts don't get to decide whether or not to follow MP rules.

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:33 am

Noctis_ wrote:
Figero11 wrote: Servers being able to have rules that a player could read before joining, and if they don't agree then it saves them time and they don't have to join. People often argue over rules.
People shouldn't be arguing over rules. There is already a set of multiplayer rules, and no game should have their own separate set that conflicts with MP game rules. Hosts don't get to decide whether or not to follow MP rules.
I think she means additional rules. For example, if they were doing a role play, whether or not fantasy is allowed. And to be honest, I like the idea, though I think there may have been a bit of talk about this sort of thing being added already? Either way, I think server descriptions would be a nice addition to multiplayer.

ElectricalHowl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: ElectricalHowl

Post by ElectricalHowl » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:53 am

One idea I have is maybe to show when other players are typing. I find in role plays that players have trouble estimating if their fellow players are typing or not and post a reply before the other does. I believe this could be useful.

Paradiigm
Name: Atlas

Post by Paradiigm » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:52 am

Figero11 wrote:The ability to start a vote to kick a player if the host is not available or does not know how to do it.
OMG YAAAAS I was just thinking of this last night! I second this!

Weylenn
Pup
Pup

Post by Weylenn » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:19 am

This one may be a little questionable but the ability to place markers that other players can see.
Don't see why it would be questionable! Wolves can pee, scent mark with certain intents ect. :p You'd just be building off of that basically I think, with some more "gameplay" elements than realism.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:20 pm

ElectricalHowl wrote:One idea I have is maybe to show when other players are typing. I find in role plays that players have trouble estimating if their fellow players are typing or not and post a reply before the other does. I believe this could be useful.
This would be so useful! Seconded!

Wolf915
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolf915 » Sun May 27, 2018 4:41 pm

AMAZING JOB EVERYONE I know im late but the updates make me HAPPY! :wolf: :raven: :eagle: :beaver: :fox: ]

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Mon May 28, 2018 11:03 am

Maybe the chat box background could not be opaque, but transparent so it doesn’t cover anything. I play another game that does this and it looks nicer. The text is white with a black outline so it’s visible against any colour.

Maybe the player can expand or shrink the chat box by dragging the corner. If someone writes a long description you can expand the box to read everything instead of scrolling. There could be a seperate option to adjust the text size. So you could have a bigger box but small text if you wanted a big view of what people are saying. (In case everyone is talking at once and it’s hard to keep up; especially if there will be more players on a server.)

Whispers (texts that can only be read by a specific player on the server) are helpful too. :)

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:10 pm

I'm loving the scent and name colors, because I think I'd then pick blue! X3

Also, I'm having this random idea which I kinda want: Being able to see how long it was since one of your friends were online. This is something I have been wanting to check, (so I can unfriend a bunch of really cool RPers who are never online) because, why not?

el wolfo
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by el wolfo » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:29 pm

You should have it so that you can turn on PVP for servers or disable it if you don't want to get hurt :)

You should also have swimming skill and how high it is states how long u can float and if it's 0 then if you go into the deep water you sink and drown. maybe other wolves could pull you out?