Tune Up

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Tune Up

Post by loboLoco » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:07 pm

[youtube]7j0PT4EerQA[/youtube]
Video link:

Music has always been one of our very favorite elements of WolfQuest — all due to the talented Tim Buzza, who created some truly iconic themes for the game. We wouldn’t dream of replacing his music with anything else, so WolfQuest 3 will feature all the music that’s in the game now, complemented by some all-new tracks that Tim is working on now.

We’re also using a new type of game-music system, called adaptive music, to make the soundtrack more dynamic and immersive than ever before. Instead of playing one track after another, Tim is creating layered tracks that we can control on the fly during gameplay. For example, the new Chase track has multiple layers (we’re up to eight now), and the adaptive music system in the game will mix those layers as you play, based on what you’re doing, and what’s happening around you in the game. We’re going to use this method for a number of new tracks, as well as for tracks from earlier versions, to freshen them up while keeping the classic WolfQuest feel.

Tim came over to the office recently to brainstorm some new layers for this new Chase track, and we thought you might enjoy a glimpse of him at work.

(And if you love the soundtrack, get the Music Extras: the complete game soundtrack and a 25-minute video documentary about Tim Buzza and the music! We’ll add new WQ3 and Tower Fall music to this package upon release. Go check out the Music Extras on itch.io.)
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Re: Tune Up

Post by Frodo1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Man, this is incredible! Immediately sent it to my music major friend haha because holy cow this is awesome.
The dynamic music has me really hyped-- I think it's gonna add so much to the game and I can't wait to see it in action! I love how, despite it being so new, too, it still has that distinct WolfQuest feel.
Tim, you're an absolute legend-- keep it up!

Weylenn
Pup
Pup

Post by Weylenn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:01 pm

It is SO exciting to see you guys using design decisions usually used in AAA games. I think it's going to all come together to add that extra layer of polish that will really make the game feel "fresh". The music Tim came up with also sounded incredible.

Nevara
Pup
Pup
Name: Kiki

Post by Nevara » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:11 pm

YESSSSS

I've always loved WQ's soundtrack, and I'm super excited for all the new tracks! Rock on, Tim Buzza!

xenomothe
Pup
Pup

Post by xenomothe » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:27 pm

-
Last edited by xenomothe on Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airbones
Name: Razza

Post by airbones » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:33 pm

"A nighttime set of layers, a chase set of layers, a holy crap fight a bear set of layers" h y p e

As a music nerd and someone who has loved the WQ soundtrack since forever, this is my favorite update by far! The new adaptable tracks are something I would have never even dreamed up myself, and it's just such a cool and interesting way to make the game feel more dynamic. I will definitely be getting my hands on anything Tim puts out.

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:00 pm

I'm loving what I'm hearing here, I've always adorn the soundtracks of WQ because they're so different and they really give you the 'I'm in the wild' vibe.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:26 am

looking forward to it! wq's music has always been a huge part of the game imo, it's so unique and recognizable, so it's great to know that that isn't gonna be changed. the change to adaptive music is also rather exciting, i think it sounds like something that isn't a big deal but actually ends up adding a lot to the game.

as always, thanks for sharing! it's great to see these dev videos and while i don't comment on all of them, i definitely enjoy them and think that allowing the players to see how things are being developed and having so much communication with the community throughout the entire process is a really amazing thing for you guys to do.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:30 am

Wow, Tim Buzza's AWESOME! His new music is just wonderful. And all that music for the things around you? I'm guessing this is going to be a bigger game then what I thought. :mrgreen:
I am very happy! :D :D :D

Sableback
Pup
Pup

Post by Sableback » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:29 pm

Really looking forward to this. Wolfquest's music has always been a huge part of the game (at least for me), and adding new tracks and layers is going to give it whole other dimension. So excited!! :D

Brinnadaze
Pup
Pup
Name: Brianna

Post by Brinnadaze » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:20 pm

I am already in love with the music — especially the mating tunes (bowchikawowow) ;-) — and am absolutely pumped for the overlayed tracks. I cannot wait for WQ3. It’s going to be a fresh new feeling to this wonderful game. Great work, guys!!

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:08 am

Ohhhhh now THIS is exciting stuff. I've always loved Tim's music and I'm so ready to be able to experience some more. Getting to see him work in a video again was great!

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:19 am

Wow! I love how much fun you both appear to be having. Can't wait to hear that new mate music, haha.

resanfray
Pup
Pup

Post by resanfray » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:54 pm

This is all looking super awesome! I can't wait to see how this is all put together. But there is one thing I've been thinking about, what if we had some piano music in WQ as well? Piano is graceful but played correctly it can also be powerful and deliver powerful energy in certain parts of the game.

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Isela » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:42 pm

Chiming in with my fellow music nerds to say I am very much excited and looking forward to hearing the new music!! The score of a movie or game is always one of the first things I pay attention to, and WQ's score is still one of the best game scores I've heard to this day. It just gives that western, Yellowstone feel that I absolutely adore. Getting this glimpse at how you create the track layers was also very interesting. Keep up the fantastic work, Tim!