Vote for a New Animal!

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Which animal would you most like to see added to WolfQuest 3?

Bighorn sheep
44%
Pronghorn
18%
Black bear
3%
Bobcat
14%
Porcupine
22%

Total votes: 291

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Vote for a New Animal!

Post by loboLoco » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:06 pm

[youtube]tcQ1ant2y0c[/youtube]
Video link:

Yellowstone — “The Serengeti of North America” — is chock-full of animals. We’ve always wanted WolfQuest to portray this rich diversity, but it has definitely been a long haul. The original game featured only four species: wolf, elk, coyote, and snowshoe hare. WQ 1.5 added grizzlies, and then eagles appeared (occasionally) in WolfQuest 2 and 2.5. And the total stayed there, at six, for many years. Why so few? Animals are expensive! They’re expensive to model, to animate, and just as importantly, to integrate believably into the game with realistic AI behaviors. Fortunately, with the success of WolfQuest 2.7, we were soon able to more than double the number of species represented in the game, with fox, cougar, moose, and ravens, plus a small variety of birds and insects.

And happily, we’re not done yet! Thanks to the continued success (e.g. sales) of the game, we’re able to add yet more to WolfQuest 3. We’ve announced two new species — mule deer and beavers — and have several more in mind. But since every animal, even smaller and simpler species like beaver, are complicated and costly efforts, we want to hear from you: What animal would you most like to see added to the game in WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall? Here’s a list of what we’re considering. Which one will you vote for? And why? (Bison are not listed here because we already plan to add them in the future.)
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Re: Vote for a New Animal!

Post by duskypack » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:10 pm

I chose porcupine because it would be a lot of fun to stumble across and would certainly be unlike anything we’ve seen in the game. I’m excited for how rich and lush the Wolfquest 3 world is going to be!

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Video made me smile, wasn't expecting that! :D

I voted for Bighorn sheep. I think it would be really neat to have a prey animal that would mostly stick around rocky mountainous terrain (that would be difficult for your wolf to follow/hunt). I definitely do not think black bears should be added (at this point in time) because, well, we already have a bear species. I think it would be a waste to add another.

EDIT: My second choice would be the porcupine
Last edited by SolitaryHowl on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Echodextrous
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Echo

Post by Echodextrous » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:15 pm

I think Pronghorn's would be really cool to try and hunt! They are also such beautiful animals I would love to just run with them and watch them interact within the game! :)
Honestly though it is a hard decision because seeing any or all of these animals in game would be amazing.

Poa
Pup
Pup
Name: Twister

Post by Poa » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:18 pm

I'm torn between the Bighorn Sheep, because more Prey animals that aren't in the deer family sounds fun, and more realistic to a Wolf's actual diet, and Porcupines, because gosh darn it they'd be fun to just mess around with when your bored... Maybe... Someone's getting a face-full of quills. But I have a really happy, playful goofy wolf named Chip, who would fall for that easily. More then once. Poor girl xD

And I agree with SolitaryHowl that the Black bear would be a bit of a waste. I think for now Grizzly's are the only bears we need.

(and as a player of 2.5 version, where they run and are super fast, almost more bear then I can handle)

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:37 pm

The little toad looks adorable! That pup gave me a bit of a jump scare, haha.

Choosing a new animal is difficult... I would love to see pronghorn, bighorn sheep and Porcupines... Out of those three, I'd love to see porcupines the most. They would act as interesting animals to play with, and, as mentioned before, they would provide some pretty unique gameplay.

Wolvesarelife994
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolvesarelife994 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 pm

I vote the big horn sheep!

It will be fun watching those creatures running around, the pups will enjoy it too! when they get their jaws locked in place on the throat, you know, for hunting practice! Im sooo excited! Thanks Dave!
Also how it will be a difficulty with those big horns (hints the name) but an easier snack along the way..

Wow, I just thought of something...
WHAT IF YOU ADD ALL THOSE CREATURES!!!! That would be an amazing add on to the new episode... Woopie!

SunofStormpack
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Rachel

Post by SunofStormpack » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:45 pm

i voted for the bighorn sheep since sheep would be fun to chase around mountains. my close second was porcupine because they're really interesting n such. i didn't really feel like a black bear since it would be too similar to the grizzly

QueenRuby
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Silver

Post by QueenRuby » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:48 pm

Oh my gosh! I love the toad! I voted for Bighorn Sheep. As was said, we already have a grizzly bear, so the black bear would be kind of repetative. Same with the pronghorn. With elk, moose, and now mule deer, I would rather see a different kind of prey. A bobcat could be interesting, but again, there's already the cougers. A porcupine would be pretty cool actually, so I'd love to see that animal too, if possible. But I still think that the Bighorn Sheep would be best. They'd be so fun to try and hunt! :D

Black Burn
Name: BB for short

Post by Black Burn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:00 pm

Whoa!!! I did not see that coming! Man, I love catching frogs in real life so this will be AWSOME!!!!

I agree with SolitaryHowl about the Black Bear, it'd be a waste of time,
The Pronghorn, it's quick and agile, but the Mule Deer is all that,
Bobcat, Hnmm, we already have the cougar (which I love chasing) but the bobcat could be slower and weaker,
Porcupine, well, I'm not sure on that one.
So I voted on the Bighorn Sheep, and I agree with Tornadoesstorm, it would be great hunting somethings other the deer.

Edit: sorry but I just had an idea, what if you added a wild pig, ( not really sure if they live in Yellowstone, book didn't say.) but there kind of slow but hard to kill, it would be chalanging?
Edit 2: sorry that was a bad idea, feral pigs don't even come close to Yellowstone.
Last edited by Black Burn on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sunnystar1000
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Ruse

Post by Sunnystar1000 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:03 pm

I think the bobcat would be really cool, mostly just because I love imaging it happening in the game. They are beautiful, and I would like to see how the game designs them. It would really be nice if they potentially add them in with their own ai hunting, for rabbits and other suitable prey so that perhaps you could see another predator hunting in the game, like you sometimes see foxes mousing. :D

Sunset-Light
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Sunset-Light » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:35 pm

I voted for the bobcat. (Well, maybe I'm a bit biased, growing up with a feline around every corner and never having a dog.) Bobcats are such beautiful animals, and I think our pal Mr(s). Cougar is a bit lonely in a world of canines, canines and more canines.

airbones
Name: Razza

Post by airbones » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Cute video, not gonna lie I did flinch a 'lil. c:

I voted for the bighorn sheep because I am always down for new prey animals and the unique challenges they bring. Not to mention the sheep would just be very different from really any other animal in-game so far so it'd be extra special! My second place vote goes to the pronghorn, again because another prey item but also because they're just so darn neat looking.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:44 pm

A bighorn sheep is the most practical animal out of those listed to add. It adds more variety to the hunting scene considering its rocky dwellings and doesn't resemble elk, deer, or moose in size. To me, a bobcat would function much like a fox-- it'd be an interesting animal to add to increase the aesthetic of the game, but would not do much otherwise in terms of gameplay. As others have mentioned, we already have a bear species, so adding black bears would feel redundant. The mule deer is a decent substitute for the pronghorn. Porcupines would be a nice challenge because of their quills (and perhaps cause some problems for curious pups?) but would not add much else, either.

Alakaru_1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Mia or Momo

Post by Alakaru_1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:05 pm

The bighorn sheep and the pronghorn seem the most interesting! They would both be challenging in their own way if you tried hunting them; the bighorn could easily injure you if it decided to rush at you with it's horns, and the pronghorn is extremely fast and agile when running away from danger.

And then the porcupine is just...omg. If you were desperate for food and only had the porcupine to turn to, that would really hurt haha.