Emote Yourself

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

DispersedHowl100
Pup
Pup
Name: Frost

Re: Emote Yourself

Post by DispersedHowl100 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:01 am

THIS IS SOOOOO COOL! I freaked out when i saw this I'm so exited for WQ3! :mrgreen:

DawnWings
Pup
Pup

Post by DawnWings » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:33 pm

I forgot to say in my earlier post that the snarl is also my favorite.
The new fur also looks awesome!

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:47 pm

The play bow is adorable! And the bark sound/emote is a nice addition.

Geronino
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Ari!

Post by Geronino » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:03 pm

Oooh, all this looks very nice!

Looking forward to WQ 3! :D

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:23 am

For the past few video updates, I've been trying my best to shield my eyes from them as to add more for me to try and figure out or find on my own when the new game comes out xD Though, I'm sure the game is looking great and the small details are wrapping it all up nicely.

Arcturus221B
Pup
Pup
Name: Arcturus

Post by Arcturus221B » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:10 am

I'm a little confused. What was the reason to describe the snarl animation as 'aggressive'? From what I have learned/been taught it looks more defensive/fearful to me, because the face is tense, the eyes are big and the lips are pulled way back to show all teeth. Like the wolf is saying "this makes me very uncomfortable. Stop or I'll be forced to bite." But with the description aggressive I think most people will take it as if the wolf is looking for a fight, instead of trying to avoid it.

Of course I could be wrong here, but it just got me wondering :'D

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:07 am

Arcturus221B wrote:I'm a little confused. What was the reason to describe the snarl animation as 'aggressive'? From what I have learned/been taught it looks more defensive/fearful to me, because the face is tense, the eyes are big and the lips are pulled way back to show all teeth. Like the wolf is saying "this makes me very uncomfortable. Stop or I'll be forced to bite." But with the description aggressive I think most people will take it as if the wolf is looking for a fight, instead of trying to avoid it.

Of course I could be wrong here, but it just got me wondering :'D
The growl emote is listed as the warning emote because its ears are up and forward, so that would be your, "Stop or I'll be forced to bite," or something similar.

The snarl emote, like growl, seems to fit within the "defensive" (a mix of "flight" and "fight") action patterns category David Mech lists below in Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation.
http://i63.tinypic.com/10mtoy1.png

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:25 am

Arcturus221B wrote:What was the reason to describe the snarl animation as 'aggressive'? From what I have learned/been taught it looks more defensive/fearful to me
That's a good point. My understanding is that snarling can be either aggressive or fearful/defensive, depending on the situation. We rely on the Int'l Wolf Center's ethogram -- its description of "snarl" is purely, well, descriptive, not attributing any motivations, but it elsewhere says: "The dominant wolf initiates the submissive behavior in the subdominant, often growling or snarling to make the sub- dominant lie down, roll over on its back, [etc.]."

So I think it's very context-dependent....which makes it hard to pin a single adjective to the emote, but maybe we should change it to "Aggressive or defensive" and let the players decide what it means that moment. (In an hostile encounter, I think it is both aggressive and defensive -- the wolf is frightened but also trying to intimidate the other wolf to back down. It's definitely not a submissive action!)
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:17 pm

loboLoco wrote:
Arcturus221B wrote:What was the reason to describe the snarl animation as 'aggressive'? From what I have learned/been taught it looks more defensive/fearful to me
That's a good point. My understanding is that snarling can be either aggressive or fearful/defensive, depending on the situation. We rely on the Int'l Wolf Center's ethogram -- its description of "snarl" is purely, well, descriptive, not attributing any motivations, but it elsewhere says: "The dominant wolf initiates the submissive behavior in the subdominant, often growling or snarling to make the sub- dominant lie down, roll over on its back, [etc.]."

So I think it's very context-dependent....which makes it hard to pin a single adjective to the emote, but maybe we should change it to "Aggressive or defensive" and let the players decide what it means that moment. (In an hostile encounter, I think it is both aggressive and defensive -- the wolf is frightened but also trying to intimidate the other wolf to back down. It's definitely not a submissive action!)
It is certainly tricky. I believe an 'aggressive' snarl usually has the ears puppy forward with body upright, while a 'defensive' one is hunched low to the ground with ears pinned back....much like the animation you have right now.

I assume making a new animation to better depict 'snarl-aggressive' or modifying the current one to be more 'neutral' are not in the cards?

ClownfishtheDJ
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Emygra or Mist
Location: Howling with the wolves, grazing with the elk and deer, and adventuring with the coyotes in MT.

Post by ClownfishtheDJ » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:38 am

Yeeess!! Ever since y'all started working on WQ 3, more emotes and pack interactions were definitely one of the things I was most excited for. This will definitely help out a lot with pup raising, since you'll be able to communicate with your mate and pups more easily!
Will you be able to scare off coyotes and other predators with a snarl and a warning? It kind of bugged me that I couldn't just warn them to back off in 2.7, and I think it would be a cool feature!
Doing amazing with the development, keep it up!

x1103
Pup
Pup

Post by x1103 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:28 am

alethe wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:12 am
these animations are great! emotes will be really helpful in the game. in singleplayer, will the mate/pup AI be programmed to respond to these as well?
I have been wondering about this too for a while now. Will other wolves and animals respond to the emotes? It would be interesting to try to intimidate other animals as well, say to make the elk run (testing their nerve is what real wolves do right?) or a predator to give up a carcass / leave the area... and ofc give and get affection back from your pack. :)

Edit: Oh right the stranger wolf's flight meter I forgot about it sorry. But yeah what about the other animals?

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:52 pm

I love the bark and snarl! It sounds awesome. I cant wait to experiment with them! E.g play-bowing at stranger wolves or snarling at my mate.

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Post by BlackMetal » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:41 am

Will the mate also react if I bark at him or growl at him?

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:05 am

BlackMetal wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:41 am
I think the bark will be used to call/warn your mate.
I'm not sure about growling at him though.

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Post by BlackMetal » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:19 am

elkhunter123456 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:05 am
BlackMetal wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:41 am
I think the bark will be used to call/warn your mate.
I'm not sure about growling at him though.
Okay, thanks for your reply! :)