Stand Out From the Pack!

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Re: Stand Out From the Pack!

Post by Windstrider » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:51 pm

I like the idea of adding coats modeled after specific real Yellowstone wolves. As Polynesia said, that would be a nice way to remember them.

WolfDragonPlasma
Pup
Pup

Post by WolfDragonPlasma » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:46 pm

And this is why Thursdays give me life.

Because every Thursday, I see videos like this, and all over again, I get excited for WolfQuest 3.
I really, really can't wait to play with all these new customization options and create wolves that were once impossible to create given the limitations!

Though, I am a bit sad to hear about the Limpy customization. A few of my favorite wolves use that one.

Onikin
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Lee, Queen

Post by Onikin » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:34 am

Will we still have access to the old wolf furs? Even though they're 11 years old, they look really good on the new shaders you have on the model! Not to mention, I still want to keep some of the nostalgia of the first Wolfquest ^^

MazelAngel
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Mazel

Post by MazelAngel » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:16 pm

x1103 wrote: Also, agree with you on the coats being based on real wolves of Yellowstone. I have actually totally fallen in love with the coat of the "wolf 21" that I saw in the documentary I mentioned and have painted him several times in the past. (I just cannot find a proper picture but it is very easy to find the videos on Youtube that he appears on like the Valley of the wolves and Rise of black wolf.)
Ah, yes, 21M is one of my personal favorites. Of course, all of my favorites are dead, so that's fun... In any case, he was definitely a beautiful wolf. I think it would be really cool to model some of the wolves in other packs off of those wolves currently in the pack. This might be a bit hard for Lamar Canyon since there are only three wolves, but it would personally be cool to see Little T, Small Dot, and 926F in the game. (R.I.P. 949M).

The tawny coat looks beautiful! There are so many new features I'm excited about (fluffiness, body mass, stats...) On the topic of stats, I wonder how many people are going to list their wolf as "social" and then not interact with their mate/pups, or something similar to that? I'll try to get mine to be accurate to my own gameplay, but who knows :,)

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:53 pm

loboLoco wrote:Regarding Limpy: We do want to keep that modification, but it doesn't work well with our new mix-and-match method of customizations, so not sure yet if we'll be able to do a special setup (and all the special animations) required.
Even if the limpy customization doesn't appear with the initial release, I'd love to see it make a comeback. It was one of my favourite customization additions to WolfQuest 2.7.

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:34 am

Wowwwww, this new customization system looks amazing! You guys are doing such an incredible job!
That is sad about limpy, but I hope you'll be able to figure something out for it at some point. Even if it's included in a later release, like Phasoli suggested.
Here's something that occurred to me this morning: Are you planning on making mange an actual customization compatible with any coat instead of just something included with specific coats? I know you're adding the mange tail options, but are you planning on adding mange body options too? I don't know how easy it would be to do texture layers with your current setup, so I'm not sure how well you could get the discoloration to work with that, but it'd be interesting. If texture layers are a possibility now, would the scars also become available for use with any coat?

DispersedHowl100
Pup
Pup
Name: Frost

Post by DispersedHowl100 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:25 am

I just read Frodo1's post and when she was talking about mange something hit me. What if when you add mange to your wolf your pups have a chance (or bigger chance) of getting mange. I've seen a Youtuber do a mange challenge. That would be a fun way to make looks not as important as survival, expectally when you have a pack that has a family tree (like I do). That means that even though it may not be as needed and it would be a way for accessories to have an impact on your wolf's life. I don't know, just though that it would be a cool feture!

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:41 pm

Frodo1 wrote:Are you planning on making mange an actual customization compatible with any coat instead of just something included with specific coats?
No; each mange coat requires custom textures (both for the visible texture as well as for the fur control texture), so it would be difficult to set that up for freeform application.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

x1103
Pup
Pup

Post by x1103 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:56 pm

LamarWolf wrote: I'm a huge wolf lover and do look up a lot of Information about wolves. If you have Yellowstone Reports that is a good way to get information and the wolf family tree is also a good place to get information. One question for you, do you like the 21Mb coat color when he is older and gray or do you like his coat color from when he was originally black. I would love to see coats modeled after other Yellowstone wolves but I personally think that we should do younger wolves along with some of the iconic wolves. I believe that out of the coats that only 296Fb is alive. So I was wondering if we could do wolves like 755Mb (06's mate) who is still alive and some of the Junction Butte pack wolves such as 907Fg, 1047Mb, and the gray pup.
When he is older, I just adore his silvery colour, I didn't even know he used to be black! And thanks for the tip I'll start searching the web.
MazelAngel wrote: Ah, yes, 21M is one of my personal favorites. Of course, all of my favorites are dead, so that's fun... In any case, he was definitely a beautiful wolf. I think it would be really cool to model some of the wolves in other packs off of those wolves currently in the pack. This might be a bit hard for Lamar Canyon since there are only three wolves, but it would personally be cool to see Little T, Small Dot, and 926F in the game. (R.I.P. 949M).
Seems like many of us have personal favourites, there might be a lot of fur models to make if this idea was accepted...

BerryCupcakes
Pup
Pup
Name: Yui <3

Post by BerryCupcakes » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:12 pm

I died when Dave said, "MAXIMUM FLUFFINESS!" I'm definitely happy about the new customization features. :D

WolfDragonPlasma
Pup
Pup

Post by WolfDragonPlasma » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:57 pm

Oh, also, I have a couple questions with regards to the coats and tinting for the new Customizer:

How will we be able to determine whether or not our wolf is genetically grey or genetically black? Will it be something that we can see, or something that we'd just have to make a guess about based on the appearance of our wolf?

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:02 am

Still haven't watched the previous few videos,(as I don't want to spoil everything so when I get a chance to play, I'll be able to find all the new features by myself). In a way, keeping myself from watching the videos is killing :')
From the thumbnail, I'm super excited about how good the wolf model looks standing next to the neat looking customisable stuff.
Yet another day nearer to the day the new stuff gets released.

Menna Mohsen
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Menna Mohsen » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:22 am

Can I download the game when the manufacturing is completed on the laptop or tablet or no ? :?:

Wolfwind

Post by Wolfwind » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:50 am

chickiefoo wrote:Just one thing, the howl animation looks off to me. I don't think the ears fold back enough?

I noticed that also--I think this is possibly because the ears seem to be just folding backward instead of rotating and folding back as they would in real life. I’m not sure how easy this would be to fix (I just know when I’m posing my own models it’s difficult to do ears back without deforming the model too much. I’m no pro at rigging though lol). It may be like the chest width of the model, I don’t know if they’d change it at this point.
loboLoco wrote:That's an idea, maybe we'll make a new "Classic" set at the bottom of the coats panel.

I love this idea!! Best of both worlds :D

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:14 am

Menna Mohsen wrote:Can I download the game when the manufacturing is completed on the laptop or tablet or no ? :?:
Yes, it will be available for compatible computers and mobile devices.
loboLoco wrote:Will WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition be available for mobile phones and tablets?
WolfQuest is available for Mac, Windows, iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle. So yes, WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition will be available for mobile phones and tablets...at least some of them, and/or in some form. Bigger maps and more animals may be too much for mobile devices with limited RAM memory. We'll do our best, but there's a good chance that some mobile devices won't be able to get it, and/or we will have a simpler version of it for some mobile devices.
Source: FAQs about WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition