You're Getting Veeery Sleeeepy...

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

You're Getting Veeery Sleeeepy...

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:41 pm

Video link: https://youtu.be/zCAVeLbUpkM

We’ve continued to iterate on the wolf physiology system, and what information to show to players in the wolf badge/HUD. Initially we designed the new badge to show health and energy, as always, but with a key change: After eating your fill, your wolf will need to digest that food, so max-energy will drop for awhile, then slowly climb again after some hours. This was designed to discourage mass killing sprees as well as model a wolf’s physiology more accurately.

Back then, I strongly resisted the idea of adding a hunger meter. I didn’t want to add a meter for each function. (And I still don’t plan to add a thirst meter, for that reason. While you will get a modest energy boost from drinking, you won’t have to worry about running down to the river every day to get a drink.). But then after playing the game for awhile, I realized that we really do need something to tell you that you’re getting hungry. There are various ways to do that, but a meter seemed like the simplest.

Furthermore, with the new continuous day-night cycle, we felt it was important to include sleep in the wolf’s physiological model. Wolves sleep 15-16 hours a day, and so that is a major way that they pass the time, so making it optional (as it is in the old game) felt not only inaccurate but truly less immersive. So today’s video looks at how these meters all work together to create (we think!) a better, more sophisticated model of wolf physiology that doesn’t impede gameplay but does help players go deeper into the mind of a wild wolf — which is our central goal with the entire project.

We don't have a release date yet but we are getting closer! Our plan is to release the first episode, Amethyst Mountain for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. That will be followed by Slough Creek some months later, then followed by the mobile versions.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Re: You're Getting Veeery Sleeeepy...

Post by poncho0287 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:02 pm

I love the curle up into a ball sleeping pose. Is so cute.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Call me Tsuri!

Post by Phasoli » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:18 pm

And just when I thought that we weren't going to get a hunger meter, haha. I'm glad that it was implemented though. It's a very straightforward way of reminding the player that they need to begin to searching for food again. It restores the threat of starvation, and just adds one more layer of realism and immersion to the game. I love it! The fact that sleep has also been implemented is amazing as well! Those new resting positions look really comfy and natural.

Curious, though. Will we be able to howl/perform certain emotes in those positions?

Whirl-Oakpaw
Pup
Pup

Post by Whirl-Oakpaw » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:06 pm

The day/night cycle looks so pretty when you press Z!

Everything looks amazing, can't wait to play.

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:49 pm

This got quite interesting when he started talking about the sleep bar. Being me, I thought it was thirst, but sleep makes a lot more sense. I love that we don't instantly lay our heads down when we lay on our stomachs, that used to bug me when I'm roleplaying and my wolf is asleep when he's as alert as can be. How will sleep work in multiplayer? Will it act as it is now unless everyone sleeps or what? Or do you not have an idea on that yet?

Bushmeat
Pup
Pup

Post by Bushmeat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 pm

Gonna have to stop myself from sleeping too long and starving just to watch the time go by :P

Myia
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Myia

Post by Myia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:02 pm

This game is looking so cool!

Honestly, I'm a bit relieved that we're going to get a hunger bar after all. It'll make it easier to keep track of.

The day/night cycle looks amazing! I just wonder how long it will take for it to cycle naturally.

I've seen a lot of games do this and some get it completely wrong, like in games like Catz or THE DOG Island (yes, I'm old.) where the days last around 3 minutes;
1 minute for night
1 minute for day
30 seconds for dusk
30 seconds for dawn

the cycle is really short and you can barely travel through a location before it gets dark. meanwhile, a game like Minecraft as a cycle of about 10 minutes;
5 minutes for night
3 minutes for day
1 minute for dusk
1 minute for dawn

my personal recommendation for a realistic day/night cycle is about 25 - 30 minutes though.
you have 10 - 12 minutes for night
9 - 10 minutes for day
3 - 4 minutes for dusk
3 - 4 minutes for dawn

But that's just my personal experience in games with cycling timescales. I'm sure how long you make your day/night cycle will be enough.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:32 am

Currently, 24 game-hours passes in about 60 realworld minutes, but since you're sleeping for 2/3 of that, it actually is about a 20 minute cycle. That's not necessarily final though.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Wolf Blue7
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolf Blue7 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:09 am

Very good. Do developers think of putting the game available in Spanish as well?

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:37 am

We are planning to do localization in several languages.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

xX_WillowWisp_Xx
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Florence

Post by xX_WillowWisp_Xx » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:03 am

awwww, this is the cutest update i've seen so far, and by far the most realistic! Not only are the animations so incredibly smooth the the physiology of the wolves is absolutely superb and so fascinating to see how this game is really coming together to not only be an extremely fun and interactive game, but one that teaches you about the life of a wolves and all of it's behavioural patterns! Thank you for working so hard to get these sneak peeks out, lots of motivational hugs! xxx

wolf8484
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolf8484 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:48 pm

Even though this isn't the most action-packed update, I am very excited to see this update! The time passing as you sleep is done beautifully, and I love the new positions and the animations look so smooth to me! This honestly makes the game so much better and I can imagine myself planning to sleep near the most prey-populated areas so I can hunt them down when I wake up to start every day fresh lol. I was wondering how long it would take for you to get hungry again though, and how long you have until you have to sleep again but from the video, I think I already figured out the sleep part. Besides that, thank you WQ Team for taking so much time and effort into perfecting the game as much as you can before you release it! Even if it's early access I feel like you're making the game perfect for your players and that's really something I don't see much of, so thank you for that. Good luck to you guys, I'm so happy that both we the players and you the developers are happy with this game and are livin' the WQ dream :D :wolf:

NightLightning21
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by NightLightning21 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:29 pm

This is a very interesting update to the game. WolfQuest has prided itself in the past for following natural and realistic wolf behavior in the wild. I'm impressed with the extra step you're taking this. I look forward to playing the new update.

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:51 pm

For one, the time lapse during the wolf's sleeping was absolutely beautiful!
Also, more to the point of the video, I'm so excited to take care of all of those meters. And passing the time will now be practical AND beneficial! :)
Good work! Looking back at the first videos of WolfQuest 3, it's changed so much and every time I think of it I get a thrill. :)
Thanks for keeping us updated! :wolf:

Starbender2000
Pup
Pup

Post by Starbender2000 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:01 pm

I feel very mixed about this...as you can now regain health when resting the point of hunting is not just to feed yourself, but also your pups. This can be difficult if you can't really "hunt" I noticed in-game the pups get hungry very fast...Especially in BIO, this is one of the main reasons why the players go on a killing spree, the second one being to be able to regain health to survive and defend the pups themselves. But at the same time its making for a really unique game-play later! Can't wait to see it in full action! Also LOVE the sleepy wolf! XD

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

Return to “WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall Developer's Blog”