Beta Testing WolfQuest 3

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Beta Testing WolfQuest 3

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:03 pm

[youtube]zKPbeoV_bKQ[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/zKPbeoV_bKQ

This week, I’m handing the devblog video over to JayPlays. She began playing WolfQuest way back in 2008, and has over the years been an active member of the WQ community, as well as a moderator, a beta tester for WQ 2.7. She also has a YouTube channel, with hundreds of gameplay videos featuring WQ and many other animal and nature games. She has been beta testing WQ3 for a few weeks, and now will give you a peek at what that involves.

I really appreciate Jay stepping in to handle the devblog video this week! Beta testers are an essential part of the development process and Jay is adept at explaining things as she navigates! I am also gratified for her assist this week, because I’ll be in the Grand Canyon, hiking down to the bottom with my son…and then hopefully hiking back up and out again. Check out JayPlay's channel: http://youtube.com/c/jayplays535

What is Beta Testing?
Beta testing is done by a small group of people who play and help de-bug the game before release. WQ beta testers are our development team members and experienced volunteers (many of whom have been beta testers for previous versions of the game). Generally, we recruit our volunteer beta testers from active WQ community forum members who have excellent attention to detail and communication skills. If you think you might be a good future beta tester, join the forum and participate at WolfQuest.org/community.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Re: Beta Testing WolfQuest 3

Post by poncho0287 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:11 pm

This is really coming along so great. ^^ it's worth the wait.

Timber-Wolf-at-Dusk
Pup
Pup
Name: Arik

Post by Timber-Wolf-at-Dusk » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:42 pm

Very informative, I'm defiantly interested in testing. It seems your doing a wonderful job Jay.
Last edited by Timber-Wolf-at-Dusk on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:47 pm

Fantastic job with the devblog Jay! You captured the frustration, tedium, and also the beauty of beta testing. I'm really proud to be on the team with you and the rest of the amazing testers!

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:07 pm

It is looking very good but I will say and I've noticed it in pervious blog post is that other animals get involved in what your trying in the game, like elk appearing in the middle of a wolf fight and I don't think elk would do that or a stranger wolf appearing in the middle of an elk hunt and attacking an adult elk. With so many systems programed for so many different things the systems just end up clashing. That aside I think the game is still very good so keep up the good work.

watergoat
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by watergoat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:10 pm

The game looks amazing. It has been amazing to see the game grow and it is so much more than I expected.

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:28 pm

Aaaaa thanks, Nor-easter Forecast! It's been a pleasure working with you and the rest of the team :)

Thank you guys for your kind words-- and as so many of you guys have said, WQ3 really is coming along great! The team has truly outdone themselves this time, and I can't wait for the rest of you to see what they have in store! It's definitely turning out awesome ;)

MysteryFoxSpirt
Pup
Pup
Name: Mystery

Post by MysteryFoxSpirt » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:56 pm

I think the elk calves should be weak, or at least weaker then the spikes/teen elks. It’s shouls be easy to kill them, but it’s gonn be hard to do enough damage because the mother will (Probably!) be there to hit the you, stopping you from getting enough damage on the elk calf. Mule dear Fawn and Moose calves should be that same, yet the mother will be there to fight you.

I’d love to be a beta tester, but I’m a kid..... and well I don’t have a computer. My dads computer is where I had old wolf quest. :wolf:

Hollowbones
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Hollow

Post by Hollowbones » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:57 pm

I'm so excited to see that WQ3 is headed towards beta testing! You guys have made amazing progress <3 I'm so proud of how far this game has come over the past several years.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:42 pm

WolfQuest has definitely come a long way, and it has been a wild adventure watching it grow and mold together. I can only imagine what it’s like to be a beta tester. Jay’s insight really opened me up to the world of Beta Testing! I see it so differently now. With this in mind, I think that I prefer playing casually to testing the game. Good luck, Beta Testers! I can’t wait until everyone’s work pays off. The amount of work and attention to detail that has been put into this game is absolutely phenomenal.

Webkinzer
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Webkinzer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:03 pm

Wow, the game really looks like it's come along really well. Props to the devs working on the game ^^ also, I would like to ask where I could poasibly apply to become a beta tester?

rappadapa
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by rappadapa » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:07 pm

Is there a way to become a beta tester?

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:21 pm

For everyone asking "how to become a beta tester", there is an entry on the support page- http://support.wolfquest.org/knowledge_base/topics/what-is-beta-testing?

Over on Steam, this was posted earlier-
Pepper wrote:WQ beta testers are our development team members and experienced volunteers (many of whom have been beta testers for previous versions of the game). Generally, we recruit our volunteer beta testers from active WQ community forum members at WolfQuest.org/community .
Source: https://steamcommunity.com/gid/10358279 ... 5026447289 (In the comments section.)

rappadapa
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by rappadapa » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:26 pm

Neamara wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:21 pm
For everyone asking "how to become a beta tester", there is an entry on the support page- http://support.wolfquest.org/knowledge_base/topics/what-is-beta-testing?
So you just be active in the forums?

Itschi
Pup
Pup

Post by Itschi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:50 am

It really looks neat.

Well Software Testing can be a pain, have done this for years myself.
So keep it up, that you find all the tiny bugs :)

Wolfs mark there territories.
Will it be possible to smell the territories of other wolfs?